Downrigging For Kings

brickman

after a new purchase off two scotty strong arm downriggers resently it was time to give it a seriously crack

left whalf road at 2.30am and headed straight to my fav yakka spot 15 in the tank in 1.5 hour then off to the squid grounds.i suck at squiding but my mate neil does alright only picked up a big cuttle and one arrow

met up with bergo at 6.00am and slipped him a few yakkas the off to south head to start downrigging witch is all new to me so i followed my usual trolling run south as i know all the pinicals and drop offs like the back off my hand

hit all the usual spots with plenty off bait showing on the sounder but well spread and no fish showing just as i was about to call it quits as i had reached the end off the run and i hear the sound we all know and love swing around on the seat to see neil into a good fish he offers me the rod as it has a brand new diawa saltist overhead reel i had just purchased on it i declined the offer and removed the down riggers and rods to give him more room for the fight that was to come

having packed the boat myself i soon relised there was no net or gaff bugger you dope i thought the fish came up quite quickly then saw the boat the fight realy started

i slowly motered into deeper water away from the reef and the king followed well after 6 or so attempts at grabing it's tail we had our first legal king on the deck hight fives all round and a new pb for neil we marked the spot on the chart ploter and lost two more good fish.sammy the seal showed up so we headed back.we hooked up one on the way back only to get sharked short and sweet with a razzed leader said it all

headed home early as i had a prearanged skipe call from daughter becca in canada cheers gary sorry for lack off pics i have a new computer and have lost my photo resize program i will sort it out soon

post-6655-065226200 1285436116_thumb.jpg

Edited by brickman

Well done, Gary!! Kingies are still on my 'to do ' list!! Looking forward to seeing your pics! Shame you forgot the net/gaff - very lucky to get the fish in !! Now you know where they are, you'll get heaps!!

Cheers

Roberta

Good fishing Gary - good to see the Kings back again eh thumbup.gif

Were you getting them on squid or yakkas?

Also interesting to hear that you got sharked. I have fished that area you were in a lot and have always wondered about getting sharked, or more to the point i was surprised that it either hasn't happened to me or that i hadn't seen it happen to anyone else. You reckon it was a big shark?

Also interesting to hear that you got sharked. I have fished that area you were in a lot and have always wondered about getting sharked, or more to the point i was surprised that it either hasn't happened to me or that i hadn't seen it happen to anyone else. You reckon it was a big shark?

jim all fish were on fresh squid funny as the week before they were only hitting the yakkas

as for the shark size i could only say the 80lb leader was razzed 500 mm above the hook cheers gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i have fished a lot there as well, and from the stones. My mates dad (who seems to live underwater) spears along the cliffs, and gets some big kings. He will jump straight into my burley trail, without a thought. I asked him if he is scared of sharks, and reckons he has never seen one. Now I am sure they are there, but not that many.

However I reckon the salmon bring the bull sharks on. maco's tend to be around the faster fish like salmon. Just an amateur observation, but some veterans may have an opinion on this.