Marine Rescue Nsw

mrsswordfisherman

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm a Marine Rescue Boat Crew volunteer. Port Kembla.

Whilst the App is a great bit of kit and very conveniant, i would strongly recommend you use your radio to log in. 

Consider the log in as an opportunity to carry out a radio check.

You don't want to find out your radio doesn't work 20km out with a mechanical issue :) 

• Thanks 1

Much rather speak to a human than rely on a phon app.. Inshore maybee but offshore your phone will not save you. When you call a mayday you will be an unknown, will have to start from scratch with information. Do a radio course it may help to save your life, communication is the key to survival.

I use the app from the Narooma area, I allow them to track my phone which is good if like me you move to many locations during a day. Im also with marine rescue who prefer you logging on with the app for that reason. Its easy enough to do a radio check if you feel the need. If there's a problem with the network when you log on the app lets you know it failed (only happened once).

Using the app you have to first set it up with all your personal details and contact details (family etc). You also include any additional safety gear when setting up your profile on the app,  this also helps with marine rescue.  

Another positive of the app is logging on and off outside the radio volunteers hours of operation. The radio is picked up by repeaters after hours but seems to have a few issues for us down here.

Depending on your network provider your phone will give more than double the range of a vhf radio. I haven't had much luck with vhf radios in my boats, they all break but Ive yet to have my phone fail. I do carry a backup handheld as well as a Garmin inreach, PLB and epirb one extended offshore trips.

My phone is also networked to my fish finder plotter, meaning any phone calls or messages pop up on my plotter screen. 

Edited by JonD

I log on using the app but have recently had issues in the Newcastle area. I’ve tried the listed telephone number once for Newcastle MR but it actually takes you through to the local Marine Rescue leaders personal phone.....didn’t go down too well at 4.45am....whoops and sorry.

At other busy times I’ve had a similar response from MRNSW when calling to log on by phone, many people had been having problems. The volunteers put it down to a higher demand on the system at peak times.

Two weeks ago, I realised that the problem logging on with the App was due to my iPhone automatically linking to my Lowrance Eliite Ti2. For some reason my phone would link to wifi on the Lowrance, consequently overriding the phone App being able to use mobile data to log on.  I’ll need to change the settings in the Lowrance at some point, when I remember.

I now log on whilst waiting at the boat ramp.  Previously I would use the time in the 4 knot zone to log on....whist also sorting the sounder, drinking coffee etc and usually trying to wake up at silly o’clock.

• Like 1