Port Jackson Sharks In The Bay.

rebehy

Went out on my own at 11am today and fished the edge of the channel at Travelli Alley. Didn't get much fish but WOW what a great day out. Started off seeing a Pod of dolphins which stayed around a while. Then the local seal turned up. I wonder if he's got a name :1prop: Finished the day after a couple of hours fishing with a couple of port jackson sharks on 2-4Kg gear. The first one was quite big and I almost couldn't haul him over the side. The second one was less than half the size but still was great fun on the small rod and baitcaster. They both went back in to sulk for a while and live to fight another day. They dont take big runs, but gosh they are heavy on light gear.

post-1297-016351300 1284709907_thumb.jpg

Hey Eddie,

I actually envy you.

Why?

I'm glad you asked.

...because you can still enjoy pulling in port jackson sharks....

...because you actually enjoyed seeing a big boofy seal..........

...and because you can still enjoy watching a lovely pod of dolphins frolick in the sun.

Me?

Why can't I enjoy all that?

...because port jackson sharks ruin specially prepared baits meant for edible species

...because seals scare and steal EVERY fish I catch in it's presence and then threaten to jump into my 5.7m platey and would capsize me for sure

...and because dolphins scare EVERY fish within 200m from eating my baits for the day...

Oh well, I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the lesson in humility Eddie.

One day, I'll grow up and appreciate nature for what she truly is. I seem to have lost that perspective...

Tony

Hey Eddie,

I actually envy you.

Why?

I'm glad you asked.

...because you can still enjoy pulling in port jackson sharks....

...because you actually enjoyed seeing a big boofy seal..........

...and because you can still enjoy watching a lovely pod of dolphins frolick in the sun.

Me?

Why can't I enjoy all that?

...because port jackson sharks ruin specially prepared baits meant for edible species

...because seals scare and steal EVERY fish I catch in it's presence and then threaten to jump into my 5.7m platey and would capsize me for sure

...and because dolphins scare EVERY fish within 200m from eating my baits for the day...

Oh well, I guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the lesson in humility Eddie.

One day, I'll grow up and appreciate nature for what she truly is. I seem to have lost that perspective...

Tony

I guess in reality it's me that envys you because you take your fishing so seriously (and probably have all the PB trophies to show for it). I never have been that serious...which reflects in my catches. I have been fishing all my life and at 42, I still can't say that I know how to catch fish. That's why I still try and enjoy 'boating' so much as opposed to just fishing. Not knowing anything about Port jackson Sharks (this is the first two I have ever caught), I though they were a little like Gummy sharks in that they were better prized or valued which is why I was so excited to get such a huge one on my light tackle.

Anyway, I think that your response shows just how much of a 'seasoned' fisherman you are and I guess it is what I aspire to be one day. So it is me that has to thank you for the lesson if I am to ever catch decent fish. I still would have enjoyed the nature events associated with my boating trip (and yes the perspective is somewhat still there for me), but then moved to another spot a few hundred metres away to seriously fish. Thanks for the tip.

eddie that a huge pj there mate i would be measureing that rod from butt to the first eye and then working out how big the pj is you could get a place in the records but i think your in with a chance

to lift that sucker off the bottom with the rod and line class you were using is a testoment to your skill and patance well done there mate a huge effort on the light gear cheers gary

Not wrong they should be occasionally culed by fisherman when caught and also cat fish , like kangaroos when they get out of had. Everyone has an opinion that's how it is. Saying that i caught a baby port jackson about 6 inch the other day and felt sorry for it and let it go.

This kind of attitude gives the greens ammo to lock up even more of our waters. They are a majestic, native fish living in its natural environment.

Over the last few weeks I have caught more Port Jackson sharks than any other species of fish. I even caught them just off the starboard maker near Brighton. Yes, they are fun but I get sick of cutting the line as I have been fishing solo the last few times. I thought I was onto a Kingie over at the 3rd runway, but alas, another PJ.

Maybe they just like my bait.

Mick

:biggrin2: Great to see you are enjoying the joys of fishing mate and everything that comes with it even catching the ol PJ's.. I think they are in plague numbers at the moment in the bay as the last few times I have been I have caught them consistently, regardless if I was fishing with Bream gear or chasing Tailor on they would come!

Although they are not a table fish they have every right to be there and attack our offerings :tease:

cungee george , if every fisherman in aus , estimated over 1 million, voted correctly in the election we would not have this problem with greens and marine parks .Towns like Hat Head and south west rocks are next to go like Bermagui did .All the servos and bait shops GONE. You are never going to stop them now they have started .Its a very sad state of affairs when you cant do something you love in your own country .Soon there will be no sport at all caz it kills the grass !!!!!!!!!!!!

cungee george , if every fisherman in aus , estimated over 1 million, voted correctly in the election we would not have this problem with greens and marine parks .Towns like Hat Head and south west rocks are next to go like Bermagui did .All the servos and bait shops GONE. You are never going to stop them now they have started .Its a very sad state of affairs when you cant do something you love in your own country .Soon there will be no sport at all caz it kills the grass !!!!!!!!!!!!

Very sad indeed, you cant do somthing you love in your own country.

talk about hijacking a post sorry for the rants above eddi

stay on topic boys

No worries and thanks for the replies. Ranting (or venting) is something we all do from time to time. Here's my rant for the day: You wouldn't beleive it but I had my rod/reel (the one used in the photo to catch this PJ) and my whole tackle box in my driveway from last night stolen some tome during the night. :ranting2: I forget that I left them out. :05:

Edited by eddie

No worries and thanks for the replies. Ranting (or venting) is something we all do from time to time. Here's my rant for the day: You wouldn't beleive it but I had my rod/reel (the one used in the photo to catch this PJ) and my whole tackle box in my driveway from last night stolen some tome during the night. :ranting2: I forget that I left them out. :05:

The greens didnt steal them did they :074:

On a serious not, Im so sorry to hear that mate, I hope those rotten people never catch fish with that gear.