Freaky Friday At The Fishmarkets

Keflapod

I own KOI CARP as pets for the last 22 years, .... I have put these fish under and removed tumers, bacterial skin sores and some other diseases which i have never seen in saltwater fish... so yeh definately will not eat them if they were the last fish on earth, anyway here are some pictures of koi carp that i saw on google and to my surprise there is one that is a lure. Cheers cg.

Bluddy hell George,

That's a big Koi.

So are you Doctor George as well ?

Removed tumors?

A man of many talents...

My brother keeps Koi as well in a big pond he built into his back verandah.

He also keeps a MASSIVE fish tank in his house to keep tropical marine fish in.

It's as big as some of the big display tanks that aquariums keep...

I have boats, he has fish tanks but he does fish as well....

Boil 8 liters of water in stock pot

2 fish stock cubes

4 finely chopped spring onions

2 sprigs lemon grass

2 teaspoons grated ginger

2 tablespoons molases for sweetness

3 kaffir lime leaves

Juice of 2 limes.

Add brick to water to attract muddy residue that comes off fish fillets

Add carp fillets and boil for 20 mins.

Strain entire contents throwing away everything except Brick

Eat brick

I remember hearing some Iraqi people saying on TV that they loved living Wagga because they could easily catch plenty of their "favourite fish to eat - CARP".

The only one I ever caught went in the bin.

I have it on good authority that they make great bait for salwater fish such as slimies and other baitfish.

I'll have to try it! We recently bought a slow cooker. It might be OK in there. Surely not the fish from the upper parra river though!

Re baby octupus comment. The same with squid. Think back 30 years when our Italian and Maltese friends caught it to eat. They would face a barage of laughs and comments like "you wogs would eat anything". Look at it now! it's a delicacy. One of my favourites, that's for sure. Those Wise Old Gentlemen knew better than us.

Reeltired

Hey Raiders,

Well I'm ashamed to say that I had to visit the fishmarkets to buy fish as my supply has run out. I decided I would at least buy a species that I can't catch myself, just to ease the burden of the guilt I'll be carrying until I finish my renovations and haul my backside back into the bay.

I bought some nice pink ling fillets - but they ain't cheap - still, they will have to do until I can put some real fish on the table - :biggrin2: - Anyways, I was looking through the shops and low and behold, I saw something that made me look twice.

No it wasn't some babe tourist with a 20 carat diamond around her neck....I meant fish...

Have a look for yourself....I didn't think any cmmercial fisherman would ever put them on the fishmarkets floor for auction, let alone someone actually buying them.

I guess this is the beginning of an experiment to see if there is a commercial market for them ?

I saw a documentary today on this. There is someone making a business of catching carp and selling them to europe. The trick is to put them on ice straight away and dont bleed them yet. Not sure why but this was the method employed for keeping this fish for eating. However the show also exported the roe and made fashion accessories ie. handbags from their skin. This fish, though not well respected is at least making someone some dollars. :)

yep in europe they have them for christmas,

I had some when there (my wife's slovakian)

tasted pretty 'orrible but i guess it survives well over there. long way from the ocean so its that or trout and in poorer times a carp is alot more fish for ur buck. Her old man bought it about now (3 weeks or so out from christmas) and it lived in the bathtub until the big day.