Freaky Friday At The Fishmarkets

Keflapod

Hey Raiders,

Well I'm ashamed to say that I had to visit the fishmarkets to buy fish as my supply has run out. I decided I would at least buy a species that I can't catch myself, just to ease the burden of the guilt I'll be carrying until I finish my renovations and haul my backside back into the bay.

I bought some nice pink ling fillets - but they ain't cheap - still, they will have to do until I can put some real fish on the table - :biggrin2: - Anyways, I was looking through the shops and low and behold, I saw something that made me look twice.

No it wasn't some babe tourist with a 20 carat diamond around her neck....I meant fish...

Have a look for yourself....I didn't think any cmmercial fisherman would ever put them on the fishmarkets floor for auction, let alone someone actually buying them.

I guess this is the beginning of an experiment to see if there is a commercial market for them ?

post-3021-078991200 1284873635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keflapod

This is not uncommon & I have seen them for sale before, mainly in asian shops.I also know that some europeans like to eat them. I guess you have to know how to prepare them. Lots of herbs & spices I guess.

Cheers, Scoop

This is not uncommon & I have seen them for sale before, mainly in asian shops.I also know that some europeans like to eat them. I guess you have to know how to prepare them. Lots of herbs & spices I guess.

Cheers, Scoop

I used to catch European Carp as a child in Lake Burley Griffin (Canberra). I used to have a ball with the bigger ones (I was around 13 at the time). Coming from a modest family, we actually tried these a few times and yes you are right...a lot of herbs and spices. Cummun used to drown out a lot of the muddy taste. I wouldn't recommend them and would never pay for them but hey, they are edible and actually quite good if you are REALY hungry :wacko:

Being from inland NSW myself I have heard that people are starting to eat them although I have been told they keep them alive for a couple of days in a tub continuously changing the water with fresh tap water making them clean there insides out. By changing the water prevents them from eating what they bring up. Still I have not tried it!

Edited by oz_brett

I fished a carp comp at wyangla dam a few years ago and a crowd member from the weigh in got his family station wagon and put in over 50 carp weighing up to 5kg on the carpet in the back .There were over 100 people watching and even some were dry heaving at the sight of this on a 35 degree day with no ice .............

Hey Raiders,

Well I'm ashamed to say that I had to visit the fishmarkets to buy fish as my supply has run out. I decided I would at least buy a species that I can't catch myself, just to ease the burden of the guilt I'll be carrying until I finish my renovations and haul my backside back into the bay.

I bought some nice pink ling fillets - but they ain't cheap - still, they will have to do until I can put some real fish on the table - :biggrin2: - Anyways, I was looking through the shops and low and behold, I saw something that made me look twice.

No it wasn't some babe tourist with a 20 carat diamond around her neck....I meant fish...

Have a look for yourself....I didn't think any cmmercial fisherman would ever put them on the fishmarkets floor for auction, let alone someone actually buying them.

I guess this is the beginning of an experiment to see if there is a commercial market for them ?

Mate in England they eat them for Christmas dinner like we eat Turkey. They have to put their orders in beforehand....Weird aye.

I used to do Carp fishing years ago up at the Nepean River at a place called Yarramundi. The Carps up there are 1m plus models. Best fun on light gear. At the same time I would bag out on Mullett which are also huge up there in the Summer months. Haven't tried Carp myself but I know where you are coming from.....they look horrible and they stink!

pongrass18ft

Hello chaps, i must have heard the same reactions dozens of times , but you know what , carp are really not as bad as most of as think they are, there are thousands if not billions of people that think they are okay , the chinese love them , so do allot of middle eastern countries, indians, pakistanies, bangladesies, slavs they all eat them, sure they will never be good enough for the local fish and chip shops that we are used to ,But if you caught them from a clean system, bled and iced them , then made them into a fish curry like i have had a couple of times from a friend that owned a curry restaurant, you would think differently, no i havent lost my mind , and no i am not doing it hard, we used to say the same thing about wirrah cod, and salmon,sweep, and even travelly in the 70s , look at us now, and yes they have been for sale at the markets and lots of other fish shops for over 10 years, trust me curried carp is not bad at all ,

Hello chaps, i must have heard the same reactions dozens of times , but you know what , carp are really not as bad as most of as think they are, there are thousands if not billions of people that think they are okay , the chinese love them , so do allot of middle eastern countries, indians, pakistanies, bangladesies, slavs they all eat them, sure they will never be good enough for the local fish and chip shops that we are used to ,But if you caught them from a clean system, bled and iced them , then made them into a fish curry like i have had a couple of times from a friend that owned a curry restaurant, you would think differently, no i havent lost my mind , and no i am not doing it hard, we used to say the same thing about wirrah cod, and salmon,sweep, and even travelly in the 70s , look at us now, and yes they have been for sale at the markets and lots of other fish shops for over 10 years, trust me curried carp is not bad at all ,

Hi Leonardgid,

I agree with your philosophy that you can make almost anything taste good if you know how or are prepared to experiment.

I was under the impression that they were not a saleable fish and that they have never been for sale before.

That's why I was so surprised to see them on sale.

I also thought our carp was a somewhat different species to that of the European carp... Perhaps they are the same....

Point taken though, and if I ever catch one, I will certainly conduct some culinary experiments of my own :1prop:

Tony

Hi Leonardgid,

I agree with your philosophy that you can make almost anything taste good if you know how or are prepared to experiment.

I was under the impression that they were not a saleable fish and that they have never been for sale before.

I also thought our carp was a somewhat different species to that of the European carp... Perhaps they are the same....

Point taken though, and if I ever catch one, I will certainly conduct some culinary experiments of my own :1prop:

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm not too certain but I think that our carp is in fact European carp that was introduced into our waterways some time ago. (someones biggest mistake disguised as a brilliant idea)Incidentally, I have seen them on sale in several places and as low as $99c/Kg. Cheaper than cat food!

Eddie

Edited by eddie

Carp have been around the fish markets for years.

I worked at the fish markets some 25 years ago as a teenager and am glad I didn't have to clean them, because they actually give off a pungent stench. Staff would walk into the cleaning/gutting room and have to hold their breath - I did.

Hi Leonardgid,

Tony

Mate in England they eat them for Christmas dinner like we eat Turkey. They have to put their orders in beforehand....Weird aye.

I used to do Carp fishing years ago up at the Nepean River at a place called Yarramundi. The Carps up there are 1m plus models. Best fun on light gear. At the same time I would bag out on Mullett which are also huge up there in the Summer months. Haven't tried Carp myself but I know where you are coming from.....they look horrible and they stink!

pongrass18ft

Mate, I grew up Carp fishing in the UK and I do not know of one person who has eaten them.Other than Salmon and Trout all fish are put back from lakes and rivers.

• 1 month later...

Hi Tony,

I'm not too certain but I think that our carp is in fact European carp that was introduced into our waterways some time ago. (someones biggest mistake disguised as a brilliant idea)Incidentally, I have seen them on sale in several places and as low as $99c/Kg. Cheaper than cat food!

Eddie

Maybe it is for cat food??

I own KOI CARP as pets for the last 22 years, .... I have put these fish under and removed tumers, bacterial skin sores and some other diseases which i have never seen in saltwater fish... so yeh definately will not eat them if they were the last fish on earth, anyway here are some pictures of koi carp that i saw on google and to my surprise there is one that is a lure. Cheers cg.

you Bored George :074: