Little Manly

Siesta911

Day off today, so went to Little Manly this morning in the hope to catch 1) Trevally with pilie and 2) salmon/king with live yakka.

Started around 5:15am. While casted 2 rods with pilie (one with a sinker and the other with a float - no sinker), tried to catch some yakka, but only baby rock fish were caught. I kept on trying for a couple hours but there was no sign of them at all...

Around 5:45am, first fish attacked and it was a good size Trevally (36cm). It came on the float rig.

15 minutes later, another attack. This time it was to the sinker rig. It was again a Trevally (35cm)!!

Then went quiet for 30-40 minutes, but suddenly the rod with a sinker screamed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Something biggie came!! Though using pilie, I was hoping it to be a bonito or king, but as soon as I started to reel in, realised that it was a shark. Very heavy, but no speed.... And yeah, it was an over a meter PJ shark...

Let the shark go and kept on fishing. Around 8:00, caught the 3rd Trevally (32cm). This one came on the sinker rig too.

Stared to be a bit windy around 9:00, so decided to leave.

Very happy as I caught what I was targeting, but wonder why there was no yakka. Hope they will be back soon.

post-14433-066969400 1284961814_thumb.jpg

Edited by Siesta911

well done, Great day for it, yakkas move around a bit, if they not at your usual spot you can find them at another spot, helps if you have a Boat, then again there are days you just cant find them at all.

Thanks mate.

As you said they move around a bit. That should be the reason.

I have no boat, so when there is no yakkas or squid I am in trouble.

So I bring pilie all the time :biggrin2:

Mate did you burley the hell out of it with bread and tuna oil it never fails to bring the yakka's on in Sydney harbour. There's been a lot of post lately about catching blurters do you really eat them? Has to be about 2 out of 10 for tucker.

Regards Jeff

Yep. I did burley a lot. It was effective for trevally, but not at all for yakkas.

I did the same on Saturday morning. Managed to catch a couple then, but they disappeared after the sunrise...

Mate did you burley the hell out of it with bread and tuna oil it never fails to bring the yakka's on in Sydney harbour. There's been a lot of post lately about catching blurters do you really eat them? Has to be about 2 out of 10 for tucker.

Regards Jeff

Jeff nothing wrong with eating blurters there alright. A lot more than 2 out of 10

Cheers

I agree. Blurters are OK, look after them when you catch them and eat them on the day.

It is good to here they are on the bite. Well done on your catch. I envy you at being on

the water today.

Thanks mate. Yesterday was a great day for fishing and relaxing indeed.

Bentstik and Bluebottle, blurters only taste any good if bled straight away like tailor and iced down then eaten on the same day as they don.t freeze well at all.

Regards Jeff

You are absolutely right!

I have killed/bled them straight away.

Also, taken gut and gills out before icing down.

They stay fresh long time. Cheers,

Day off today, so went to Little Manly this morning in the hope to catch 1) Trevally with pilie and 2) salmon/king with live yakka.

Started around 5:15am. While casted 2 rods with pilie (one with a sinker and the other with a float - no sinker), tried to catch some yakka, but only baby rock fish were caught. I kept on trying for a couple hours but there was no sign of them at all...

Around 5:45am, first fish attacked and it was a good size Trevally (36cm). It came on the float rig.

15 minutes later, another attack. This time it was to the sinker rig. It was again a Trevally (35cm)!!

Then went quiet for 30-40 minutes, but suddenly the rod with a sinker screamed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Something biggie came!! Though using pilie, I was hoping it to be a bonito or king, but as soon as I started to reel in, realised that it was a shark. Very heavy, but no speed.... And yeah, it was an over a meter PJ shark...

Let the shark go and kept on fishing. Around 8:00, caught the 3rd Trevally (32cm). This one came on the sinker rig too.

Stared to be a bit windy around 9:00, so decided to leave.

Very happy as I caught what I was targeting, but wonder why there was no yakka. Hope they will be back soon.

Mate, nice feed of Trevally. I've caught them twice this week and enjoyed them for dinner. Bled straight away and ice them down the flesh stays A1 and beats anything you can buy from the fish shop anyway. When they are the main fish around you may as well go with the flow :1fishing1: .

Next time you can't get Yellowtail send a live Trevally down. If the Kingfish come through hang on.

pongrass18ft

Mate, nice feed of Trevally. I've caught them twice this week and enjoyed them for dinner. Bled straight away and ice them down the flesh stays A1 and beats anything you can buy from the fish shop anyway. When they are the main fish around you may as well go with the flow :1fishing1: .

Next time you can't get Yellowtail send a live Trevally down. If the Kingfish come through hang on.

pongrass18ft

Thanks and I agree about A1.

As for Trevally for Kingfish, are you serious?

Never thought about it. Have you had any success? You must have caught a huge Kingfish!

Thanks and I agree about A1.

As for Trevally for Kingfish, are you serious?

Never thought about it. Have you had any success? You must have caught a huge Kingfish!

Yes,very serious kingfish around 5kg 70+ models will eat trevalley of that size with no problem. :fish_h4h: Mate last year the hacking had lots of king inside the bays and quite frequently while fishing kingfish would ambush any of my sick throw back fish that were fluttering on the surface fish like small snapper,sweep,bream and i,m sure other fisho,s have seen similar. :fishing1:

pongrass18ft

Yes,very serious kingfish around 5kg 70+ models will eat trevalley of that size with no problem. :fish_h4h: Mate last year the hacking had lots of king inside the bays and quite frequently while fishing kingfish would ambush any of my sick throw back fish that were fluttering on the surface fish like small snapper,sweep,bream and i,m sure other fisho,s have seen similar. :fishing1:

pongrass18ft

Good to know. Thanks. Will try if having problem with yakkas. Cheers,

Hey Siesta911...

Im at little manly almost every weekend...

Trevallies are the staple fish there haven't cause anything other than them (for keepers any ways)

I have caught many port jacksons there and the bigger they get, the harder to take off your line :(

i might even have a go with the a small trevally, sub it for a yakka for a king...

I will be there maybe probly early saturday morning around 2ish until morning

Say hi if your nearby. i have a blue shimano back pack...

Hey Siesta911...

Im at little manly almost every weekend...

Trevallies are the staple fish there haven't cause anything other than them (for keepers any ways)

I have caught many port jacksons there and the bigger they get, the harder to take off your line :(

i might even have a go with the a small trevally, sub it for a yakka for a king...

I will be there maybe probly early saturday morning around 2ish until morning

Say hi if your nearby. i have a blue shimano back pack...

Hey Super Fisher,

Thanks for sharing local's knowledge!

If I see someone with a blue shimano back pack there I will definitely say hi.

Have a happy fishing tomorrow and I look forward to your report.

Cheers,