Day Out In Townsville Qld

Dusky

post-11824-045317800 1285374214_thumb.jpg post-11824-067572100 1285374069_thumb.jpg post-11824-008382700 1285373638_thumb.jpgpost-11824-022860900 1285373625_thumb.jpg Hi all

I had a trip up to Townsville for work this week although it had been raining on & off since the weekend, I had the opportunity to take a couple of hours to go fishing on Thursday morning before my flight back to Sydney. :thumbup:

Dawn on Thursday came with a few clouds & the song of the birds to wake me up & with the prospect of being a wonderful Nth Qld day - hot sunny & a little humid. After meeting up with my customer & a cup of coffee & business for the day done by 10.30am we had egg & bacon sambo's for brekkie & set off to a local Barra Fishing farm just out of town (only 15 min drive YEAH) I arrived thinking that this would be just waste of time but... a day fishing is better than - well anything!

We went in & chatted to Ron the owner - a really nice bloke who set out the rules - catch & release on his gear & which area was easy & which had a greater challenge & therefor more fun. I took the big fish dam & soft plastic option & with a can of ice cold drink, set off to find a likely spot to look for reeds or swirls in the water. After 45 minute in the sun & getting frustrated at only getting the odd nudge & not having my own gear or choice of lures I changed over to fresh bait.:ranting2: (as I only had 2 hours to play)

Well these hungry suckers were far more interested now! I had SO much fun from then on. :banana:

Every hook up was the same buzz - the gentle nudge on the tip of the rod, a little tension on the line as these beautiful fish sucked in the bait & then a quick jerk on the rod to set the hook. Then, off like a freight train they went! with the reel screaming as line stripped off & the rod doubled over & with me screaming and yelling like a teenager - so much fun (I know I said it before). There was even the odd structure & given the chance they would dive in & around it to get away so dam or not you had to guide them out & as you did the reel would scream again with these sweet fish jumping & performing like I had a film crew to film them.

I landed 8 fish over the next 1 1/2 hours & unless someone was near buy could only get pics of a few. Every fish was exciting & as much fun as you can have LB & as I discovered - no guarantee of a hook up or landing a fish.

I have attached a couple of shots - If you want a day trip to fish for Barra in Nth Qld & have $400 you can fly up fish & fly home in a day - can you think of a better way to spend a day off?

PM me if you want details

Edited by Dusky

What a top way to spend time waiting to catch a plane home. Gotta be happy with that. You realise I am still dirty because you got to go Barra fishing and I didnt. Congrats on the fantastic PB's and for catching your first Barra. Glad to see you flying the raiders flag, even though you where "working".

Cheers

Cath

post-11824-045317800 1285374214_thumb.jpg post-11824-067572100 1285374069_thumb.jpg post-11824-008382700 1285373638_thumb.jpgpost-11824-022860900 1285373625_thumb.jpg Hi all

I had a trip up to Townsville for work this week although it had been raining on & off since the weekend, I had the opportunity to take a couple of hours to go fishing on Thursday morning before my flight back to Sydney. :thumbup:

Dawn on Thursday came with a few clouds & the song of the birds to wake me up & with the prospect of being a wonderful Nth Qld day - hot sunny & a little humid. After meeting up with my customer & a cup of coffee & business for the day done by 10.30am we had egg & bacon sambo's for brekkie & set off to a local Barra Fishing farm just out of town (only 15 min drive YEAH) I arrived thinking that this would be just waste of time but... a day fishing is better than - well anything!

We went in & chatted to Ron the owner - a really nice bloke who set out the rules - catch & release on his gear & which area was easy & which had a greater challenge & therefor more fun. I took the big fish dam & soft plastic option & with a can of ice cold drink, set off to find a likely spot to look for reeds or swirls in the water. After 45 minute in the sun & getting frustrated at only getting the odd nudge & not having my own gear or choice of lures I changed over to fresh bait.:ranting2: (as I only had 2 hours to play)

Well these hungry suckers were far more interested now! I had SO much fun from then on. :banana:

Every hook up was the same buzz - the gentle nudge on the tip of the rod, a little tension on the line as these beautiful fish sucked in the bait & then a quick jerk on the rod to set the hook. Then, off like a freight train they went! with the reel screaming as line stripped off & the rod doubled over & with me screaming and yelling like a teenager - so much fun (I know I said it before). There was even the odd structure & given the chance they would dive in & around it to get away so dam or not you had to guide them out & as you did the reel would scream again with these sweet fish jumping & performing like I had a film crew to film them.

I landed 8 fish over the next 1 1/2 hours & unless someone was near buy could only get pics of a few. Every fish was exciting & as much fun as you can have LB & as I discovered - no guarantee of a hook up or landing a fish.

I have attached a couple of shots - If you want a day trip to fish for Barra in Nth Qld & have $400 you can fly up fish & fly home in a day - can you think of a better way to spend a day off?

PM me if you want details

excellant looking fish well done,would love to do barra fishing one day :1fishing1:

pongrass18ft.

Well done, Dusky!! Looks like you had fun catchin' your barra - nice sized fish, too!!! I think that may be where I went last year when I was in Townsville!! THey even picked me up from the caravan park & dropped me back!!

Great fun,eh? If you are strapped for time & want to play with Barra, this is where to go!!! :biggrin2:

cheers

Roberta

Well done, Dusky!! Looks like you had fun catchin' your barra - nice sized fish, too!!! I think that may be where I went last year when I was in Townsville!! THey even picked me up from the caravan park & dropped me back!!

Great fun,eh? If you are strapped for time & want to play with Barra, this is where to go!!! :biggrin2:

cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta

Yes, he is a nice bloke, he said if you call & arrange with him he will pick you up in town or from the airport & drop you back as well.

It was really worth it. I had such a great time & it took till this morning to get the smile off my face. :yahoo:

Cath & I are looking forward to our next trip up to Forster & hope to call in & perhaps have another day out in the yaks with you (if that's ok with you of course)

Rex