A Couple Of Legals

Piss'n'Broke

Went out with Greg yesterday. He picked me up from tunks at 5am and we went straight for the heads for some southerns. After a hour or 2 with no luck we came back into middle harbour to chase a few kings. First spot we pulled up at another raider told us he had caught a 77cm king at 7am, a few hours before our arrival. With a consistent amount of bait showing up on the anchor was immediately chucked over the side. It was pretty quiet for a few hours with the exception of a damn bird that keep diving to the bottom and knocking off our yakkas in 15.5-17metres of water :1badmood:. After a while the kings did eventually come through with us each getting one, a 66cm, and 72 or something. We also pulled the hooks on at least 2 more kings as they werent hitting the squid in the usual smash and greab but rather leaning into it loading the rod up slowly.

All in all good day out and weather was great.

Dan

post-2246-039131600 1285455148_thumb.jpg

Hi Lads,

I have been out (in and around the harbour, only a little in middle harbour) a fair bit lately, and have noticed a fair bit of bait on the sounder, but not sure what.

I always worry, that when the sambo's are on this time of year, that the local waters are full of micro bait (really small stuff like white bait)

Have you guys or anyone seen what the kings, or sambo's are hitting if they are around these bait balls in and around the harbour.

Just thought I would ask. Nice work on the kings mate, seemed like a nice day for boating yesterday!!

Sparkles

Greg was out again today in middle harbour. Another 5 bust offs, and 2 legal kingys landed, one 77cm, and another 75cm. You beauty, fish for me to plan off to the boss in exchange for beer :thumbup: . Interestingly thou all fish feel to yakkas whereas saturday it was the oppisite all fish feel foul to squid

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Went out with Greg yesterday. He picked me up from tunks at 5am and we went straight for the heads for some southerns. After a hour or 2 with no luck we came back into middle harbour to chase a few kings. First spot we pulled up at another raider told us he had caught a 77cm king at 7am, a few hours before our arrival. With a consistent amount of bait showing up on the anchor was immediately chucked over the side. It was pretty quiet for a few hours with the exception of a damn bird that keep diving to the bottom and knocking off our yakkas in 15.5-17metres of water :1badmood:. After a while the kings did eventually come through with us each getting one, a 66cm, and 72 or something. We also pulled the hooks on at least 2 more kings as they werent hitting the squid in the usual smash and greab but rather leaning into it loading the rod up slowly.

All in all good day out and weather was great.

Dan

great catch,don,t they go herd,hope to tangle with some soon :yahoo:

Another 5 bust offs, and 2 legal kingys landed, one 77cm, and another 75cm.

Nice work getting on to a few fish Dan (or Greg who caught them).

Can i ask what sort of gear you are getting busted off on and in what depth of water? Fewer fish around at this time of year but there sure are some decent sized ones in amongst them... Are you not tempted to upsize your line/leader class for the next couple of months?

Hey mate. Greg has always fished with 40lb leader, whereas I vary it up depending upon structure, and how deep we fish I run leader from 40-80lb. All these fish have been caught very close if not even on the bottom(<1m off) right in the middle of the bait flowing through according to the sounder.

As for the coming months bring it on hah ha, we wont change a thing,,,,, I still have fond memories of my first metre plues king in 10-14metres of water last year, and the blitzing first run!!

Our gear is pretty standard run of the mill, Greg tyrnos 30 with 30lb mono, and 4500 btr with 15lb mono,,,, mine tld 20 2 speed with 40lb mono, and btr 4500 with 15lb mono. Our heavier rods are both wilson live fibres (great rods) and our lighter btr outfits are both mounted on silstar power crystal tips

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Thanks Dan

Greg has always fished with 40lb leader, Our gear is pretty standard run of the mill, Greg tyrnos 30 with 30lb mono, and 4500 btr with 15lb mono,,,, mine tld 20 2 speed with 40lb mono, and btr 4500 with 15lb mono. Our heavier rods are both wilson live fibres (great rods) and our lighter btr outfits are both mounted on silstar power crystal tips

Dan

That is pretty light gear for Kings even if you are doing most of your fishing in the harbour... You guys do pretty well in terms of numbers of fish. I reckon you will be getting busted off a lot more times this summer :thumbup: , at least i hope so anyway! (i mean that in a nice way as it will mean the size of the Kings has gone up again!).

I have seen blokes get destroyed on much heavier gear than you are running (and had it happen to me on a handful of times). Maybe it is the mono you run that allows you to land a few more...

Good luck for the oncoming season.

hey ur getting these on the lower end and just above the spit bridge right? i was thinking of testing out my new downrigger in the area. i trolled the length of shore from rosebay boatramp to southhead for nothing but it mighta been cos its the 1st time im using a downrigger. if u want squid try lady jane as i was there on thursday 12pm full sunlight, lowish tide and lost 4 at the boat in around 30 mins. Theres also a huge groper there which seemed to have taken up residence there.

Thanks Dan

That is pretty light gear for Kings even if you are doing most of your fishing in the harbour... You guys do pretty well in terms of numbers of fish. I reckon you will be getting busted off a lot more times this summer :thumbup: , at least i hope so anyway! (i mean that in a nice way as it will mean the size of the Kings has gone up again!).

I have seen blokes get destroyed on much heavier gear than you are running (and had it happen to me on a handful of times). Maybe it is the mono you run that allows you to land a few more...

Good luck for the oncoming season.

No offense taken mate. We do get our fair share of dustings but we land a hell of alot more than we lose. And your right mono does help you alot fishing around serious structure.

Dan