Quick Lcr Report

wannabefisho

Last night I took Dougan and his flat mate Dave to my local.

They didnt have any expectations they just wanted to hook into a few fish and learn a few things first hand.

Anyway we eneded up with 3 Bream (Dave took 2 to my lone one).

They were all just legal, but we dicided to keep them anyway as a memento and for a nice BBQ feed.

All fish fell to fresh yakka strips and the boys learned a few things about tying leaders, line choice and bait presentation.

Tight lines

Anthony

:)

post-12300-022879300 1286603690_thumb.jpg

post-12300-007071100 1286603724_thumb.jpg

Cheers Nathan, it appears to be more active on high tides and the first hour or 2 of the drop tide but fresh bait is essential...

The local servo bait isnt getting touched even though presented correctly- so another reason why fresh is ALWAYS best...

Hopefully this week I can get out for another adventure.

Tight lines mate

Anthony

Last night I took Dougan and his flat mate Dave to my local.

They didnt have any expectations they just wanted to hook into a few fish and learn a few things first hand.

Anyway we eneded up with 3 Bream (Dave took 2 to my lone one).

They were all just legal, but we dicided to keep them anyway as a memento and for a nice BBQ feed.

All fish fell to fresh yakka strips and the boys learned a few things about tying leaders, line choice and bait presentation.

Tight lines

Anthony

well done

Hi Anthony,

Pleased to hear you showed some newbies the ropes, so to speak.

Your mate even landed a oouple. Nice..

Just have to get em some more fish, and they'll be hooked.

Well done.

By the way, what knots did you show them, and who cleaned the fish? :thumbup:

Hi Anthony,

Pleased to hear you showed some newbies the ropes, so to speak.

Your mate even landed a oouple. Nice..

Just have to get em some more fish, and they'll be hooked.

Well done.

By the way, what knots did you show them, and who cleaned the fish? :thumbup:

Yer 007, I showed them how to tie on leader to braid (not sure what its called but its one of the knots Stewy showed me @ the Georges Social) and tie in hooks using a full-blood knot and also snelled rigs

sorry but is LCR = lane cove river?

Yep, LCR is Lane Cove River- I live not far from the river so its nice and close

Well done Anthony.... look like some healthy bream there mate, i don't know if you burlied at all but i burley will attract a few more to the area. Cheers George.

Ta George, they were no monsters, not compared to my previous catches from the same location- but nice and fat... The smallest fish had had a good feed of Oysters his gut was full... All fish had large fatty deposits in gut cavity so they were not starving and oviously eaten pretty well during the July/August spawning.

Berley is essential for local spots like this one... I simply use Bread and off-cuts of chicken and strips... I find too much berley the fish go off the bite- but if you can spare the berley till the last hour or 2 of the run-in and berley through the slack tide then the first hour or 2 of the run out seems to work... I also note I have been chucking in fish frames in this area for the last 6 weeks so I think it has helped keep them in the area- and luckily the tide doesnt run too quick so the frames stay in the immediate area.

Thanks again for the replies everyone, Its great teaching a few newbies how to do the basics and watch them catch a few fish- albeit if they are just keepers...

Tight lines

Anthony

Good going Anthony.I also have fished the local wharves in Lane Cove many years ago.Have not fished there for yonks.Just as a matter of interest can you tell me what your rig was.Do you fish a small pea sinker to the hook or do you use a trace and how big is the lead you use for the bream.

Cheers and well done

Steve

Good going Anthony.I also have fished the local wharves in Lane Cove many years ago.Have not fished there for yonks.Just as a matter of interest can you tell me what your rig was.Do you fish a small pea sinker to the hook or do you use a trace and how big is the lead you use for the bream.

Cheers and well done

Steve

G'Day Steve, I use 6/8/10lb flouro leader around a rod length or more, and I use a single split shot crimped around 50cm above the hook (most times I am completely unweighted as where I fish there isnt much current). Hooks I use are size 6 and 8 long shank for strip bait and for whole pillies (when I have them) I use 3 X size 4 baitholders and a half hitch arund the tail of the pillie.

I dont deviate from this rig as its been working for the last 6 months or more, but you could use smaller hooks to increase the strike rate but I find when I drop to size 10/12 hooks I get more of the fish swallowing them, meaning more time out of the water if Im to release it... and often much time re-tying on new hooks, lol