Big Harbour Flattie!

tide'n'knots

gday raiders. I have been on holidays foor the past week and I go back on sunday. I have been doing a fair bit of fishing for not much of a result until this morning.

I started out on wednesday afternoon fishing my old stomping grounds at wisemans ferry after spending about 2 1/2 hours flicking plastics for zilch I went back to the car for a feed and an afternoon seista before the night time assult. - What a disaster- catfish,catfish, catfish eeerrrggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!in amungst all the crap I managed a small flathead and a small soapie then went home vowing to shove wisemans somewhere where the sun dont shine :biggrin2:

My next trip was sunday night and after the catfish debarcle I decided to give the hawkesbury a big miss and concentrate on the harbour. My girlfriend came with me for company and probably wished she didnt after the first half hour when a nice jew around 80cm managed to snag the top hook in the anchor rope and then went about snapping the trace between the first and second hook - to say I was peeed off was an understatement although I did manage a 60cm model after that as a consolation. monday night saw me with a big fat doughnut! tuesday night a big fat doughnut! by wednesday night I couldnt be bothered !!! I was having trouble sleeping last night so at 4am I decided to head down and catch the last bit of darkness before daylight. I arrived at the spot at 5.15am and fished until 6.30am ended up with a legal bream a 60cm flathead and a beautiful 80cm flathead! There were some anxious moments when the net got caught in the zip on my tackle bag and I had to hold the rod with one hand and untangle the zipper with the other hand, at one stage I was considering just using the gaff but I managed to get it free somehow and she did the right thing and swam straight into the net. As I was fishing by myself and was unable to take a photo that did her justice I eventually decided to keep her and take some photos at home which was a little unfortunate as I would have loved to release her.

I am off tonight to meet roberta at the ramp so I hope that I can put her onto a jew or two!

pete.

post-8689-058729400 1288240147_thumb.jpg

60cm jew

post-8689-056127600 1288240110_thumb.jpg

60cm flathead

post-8689-010295000 1288240096_thumb.jpg

post-8689-015983900 1288240067_thumb.jpg

post-8689-019776500 1288240131_thumb.jpg

post-8689-054418100 1288240082_thumb.jpg

the big girl!

Edited by tide'n'knots

Mate congrats, nothing like coming back from a few blowouts to come back in form!!!

Don't listen to bottle squid mate! you kept 1 breeder OMG!!! you've probably released ten times the amount you've kept, congrats again on a top report and some nice pics, and enjoy those fillets batter them and have a beer on the side YUMMO

Tight Lines Brett

Hi Pete,

Good effort mate and nice flathead. Your keen when it comes to the jewies. I have really dropped off targeting them this year. There are always in the back of my mind but it's kings that get me motivated ATM. No night fishing for me until summer.

Speak soon.

Mike

gday raiders. I have been on holidays foor the past week and I go back on sunday. I have been doing a fair bit of fishing for not much of a result until this morning.

I started out on wednesday afternoon fishing my old stomping grounds at wisemans ferry after spending about 2 1/2 hours flicking plastics for zilch I went back to the car for a feed and an afternoon seista before the night time assult. - What a disaster- catfish,catfish, catfish eeerrrggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!in amungst all the crap I managed a small flathead and a small soapie then went home vowing to shove wisemans somewhere where the sun dont shine :biggrin2:

My next trip was sunday night and after the catfish debarcle I decided to give the hawkesbury a big miss and concentrate on the harbour. My girlfriend came with me for company and probably wished she didnt after the first half hour when a nice jew around 80cm managed to snag the top hook in the anchor rope and then went about snapping the trace between the first and second hook - to say I was peeed off was an understatement although I did manage a 60cm model after that as a consolation. monday night saw me with a big fat doughnut! tuesday night a big fat doughnut! by wednesday night I couldnt be bothered !!! I was having trouble sleeping last night so at 4am I decided to head down and catch the last bit of darkness before daylight. I arrived at the spot at 5.15am and fished until 6.30am ended up with a legal bream a 60cm flathead and a beautiful 80cm flathead! There were some anxious moments when the net got caught in the zip on my tackle bag and I had to hold the rod with one hand and untangle the zipper with the other hand, at one stage I was considering just using the gaff but I managed to get it free somehow and she did the right thing and swam straight into the net. As I was fishing by myself and was unable to take a photo that did her justice I eventually decided to keep her and take some photos at home which was a little unfortunate as I would have loved to release her.

I am off tonight to meet roberta at the ramp so I hope that I can put her onto a jew or two!

pete.

60cm jew

60cm flathead

the big girl!

well done

Hi Pete

Brilliant catch!

Do you still use carlifornia squids to land these fish?

or do you catch fresh squids?

Thanks

Anthony

pete.

60cm jew

60cm flathead

the big girl!

Well done, Pete on your top fishing session - yes, I would have been SPEWING about the jewie busting off, too! Great pics!

post-2231-020621900 1288575711_thumb.jpg

Shame that Wiseman's didn't produce!! :mad3:

..... I reckon there'll be a lot of laughs ..... he, he, you must have been listening in, Hodgey!! You were right there!!! We covered a WIDE range of topics that varied greatly from the sublime (catching jewies) to the ridiculous (discussing various windy conditions!!!) :074:

Those Californian Bottle Squidlies looked good enough to eat myself!! Sure beats going out to catch them first ..... tho freshies would be pretty hard to beat, I reckon!

Hey, Stephen, Pete will put you onto them, no worries!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

good on ya mate,

yeah the big harbour flatties must be around seeing the reports. we managed to pick this one up toway at the western weeding cake on a yakka that had been lowered to close to the bottom.

i dont know how you managed to lift it for a photo, we were too scared of getting slashed up, big powerful creature.

it did not put up a fight at all, but still pretty good bye-catch haha. released to have lots of babies.

post-10097-051554900 1288352328_thumb.jpg

Do you guys buy this california squid? i have tried bought squid a couple of time and never had a bite

yeh mate the ones i buy come in a blue box but whatever squid you buy it must be in excellent condition if it is a little bit pink dont waste your time or money buying it because jew or kings simply wont eat it! make sure it is a nice white with grey colour - plenty of ink is no problem its the colour of the flesh that you have to be careful of.

hope this helps.

pete.

good on ya mate,

yeah the big harbour flatties must be around seeing the reports. we managed to pick this one up toway at the western weeding cake on a yakka that had been lowered to close to the bottom.

i dont know how you managed to lift it for a photo, we were too scared of getting slashed up, big powerful creature.

it did not put up a fight at all, but still pretty good bye-catch haha. released to have lots of babies.

post-10097-051554900 1288352328_thumb.jpg

nice fish david! they must be around in good numbers.

pete