Trailer Accident Insurance

Geoff

I'm in the process of renewing my boat insurance with the NRMA.

Mine is an agreed value policy with the 3 main components , boat , motor & trailer each having there own nominated value. The first thing I noticed was the total insured value was $4k below current market value so that needed adjustment spread over the 3 components.

The premium increased but by increasing the excess from $200 to $500 the premium is now less than last year :thumbup: .

The thing that I've never been sure of is , insurance coverage if I have an accident with the trailer, Eg if changing lanes I side swipe another vehicle with the trailer ( I'm at fault).

Is it covered by the car insurance or boat insurance.

NRMA advise it is not like comprehensive motor vehicle insurance but covered by the $10 million public liability insurance which is a standard part of the policy.

This seemed a bit strange to me & was wondering what experience other Raiders may have had if involved with an accident with the trailer where you were at fault and / or what coverage you understand covers this situation

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hi Geoff

All good questions. I have a similar policy with GIO & would be interested to hear what you find out.

Rex

Dusky It's possible different insurance companies may have different policies or conditions regarding at fault situations so suggest a call to GIO to clarify.

Also , I seem to recall GIO do not have agreed value only market value which exposes the policy holder to an accesors value on the day. This amount may be way less than what the owner belives the boat , trailer , motor value to be.

Digressing for a moment to theft , the most likely or common situation is the trailer when at the ramp car park followed by the complete rig when at home.

The chances of the motor alone being taken is remote.

As such I have valued the trailer well above replacement value , followed by the boat then the lowest risk item , the motor

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I'm in the process of renewing my boat insurance with the NRMA.

The thing that I've never been sure of is , insurance coverage if I have an accident with the trailer, Eg if changing lanes I side swipe another vehicle with the trailer ( I'm at fault).

Is it covered by the car insurance or boat insurance.

Geoff

My wife works for IAG (NRMA Insurance). If your trailer is attached to your vehicle and while driving your vehicle, the attached trailer causes damage to a third party, you would claim on your car insurance policy, assuming you have comprehensive or third party property damage insurance.

Regards,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

My wife works for IAG (NRMA Insurance). If your trailer is attached to your vehicle and while driving your vehicle, the attached trailer causes damage to a third party, you would claim on your car insurance policy, assuming you have comprehensive or third party property damage insurance.

Regards,

Baz

this is what i found a few yrs ago when i had a little incident ..

nrma car insurance payed for repair of other car i damaged by my trailer under tow....

this was company car so dont know if it was dif to normal insurance ...

i think all insurace needs fine print checked and look for loop holes (get out of jail free cards) they may use to escape paying....

Regards,

Baz

Baz This was my understanding so was some what supprised when advised it came under the public liability section.

The concern I have is , the boat / trailer is with NRMA & the car with Alliance . I have just checked with Alliance & they advise the car insurance also covers the trailer if I'm at fault.

So , looks like all is OK :thumbup:

Geoff

Baz This was my understanding so was some what supprised when advised it came under the public liability section.

The concern I have is , the boat / trailer is with NRMA & the car with Alliance . I have just checked with Alliance & they advise the car insurance also covers the trailer if I'm at fault.

So , looks like all is OK :thumbup:

Geoff

And then there is the case where, say, your trailer is not attached to your car and it causes damage to a third party, like when it gets away from you on the top of a steep drive (happened to me with my box trailer full of soil once but stopped before it hit the road :wacko: )... then you would need to claim on yoor home insurance under the public liability clause.

It is always recommend you read the full policy disclosure statement and when you aceept a polic, you either sign or confirm that you have read and understood them. It is worth teh few minutes it takes to do do, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Baz