Christened My New Boat

Slink

G'Day all Raiders ,

Picked up my boat and went out with my mate last friday , we say the report for the weather and decided that we needed to fish . I was hoping the boat would have luck with the first session . We stopped at a place near north head that we have caught kings and samsons from last season and dropped a few jigs .

First fish landed was a 45cm king , not legal so he went back , we landed heaps of them then decided to move and chase snapper .

Nothing much was happening , there was bait everywhere so we decided to sit it out and wait for the tide change at 6.40 am . All I wanted was to get a decent snapper as the first table fish on my new boat .

Just after the change of tide my floater bait buckled over and I struck . The fish ran for a good 150 mt before I could even think about turning its head . I knew it was a good snapper by the head shakes and runs .

This is what came up :thumbup: I was stoked and high fives were swung as he went into the net :yahoo:

I tried to release him but he had his swim bladder out and was not responding to being swum by the boat , plus the damn mutton birds were everywhere and trying to dive on it when I was bringing him up so he went into the esky and fed 9 of us on the BBQ .

Not a PB but definately the biggest lump I have seen !

I think the new boat will serve me well !!

Cheers fellas , see you on the water

Kearnsy.post-15959-043728300 1288852692_thumb.jpg

G'Day all Raiders ,

Picked up my boat and went out with my mate last friday , we say the report for the weather and decided that we needed to fish . I was hoping the boat would have luck with the first session . We stopped at a place near north head that we have caught kings and samsons from last season and dropped a few jigs .

First fish landed was a 45cm king , not legal so he went back , we landed heaps of them then decided to move and chase snapper .

Nothing much was happening , there was bait everywhere so we decided to sit it out and wait for the tide change at 6.40 am . All I wanted was to get a decent snapper as the first table fish on my new boat .

Just after the change of tide my floater bait buckled over and I struck . The fish ran for a good 150 mt before I could even think about turning its head . I knew it was a good snapper by the head shakes and runs .

This is what came up :thumbup: I was stoked and high fives were swung as he went into the net :yahoo:

I tried to release him but he had his swim bladder out and was not responding to being swum by the boat , plus the damn mutton birds were everywhere and trying to dive on it when I was bringing him up so he went into the esky and fed 9 of us on the BBQ .

Not a PB but definately the biggest lump I have seen !

I think the new boat will serve me well !!

Cheers fellas , see you on the water

Kearnsy.post-15959-043728300 1288852692_thumb.jpg

[/quote

That is a :1yikes: beauty.The fight would of been awsome,shame you weren,t able to swim her to her freedom.chris

That's the kind of snapper I was chasing last Friday!

(Unfortunately I scored zero snapper and my mate Syd only managed a one small one. :( )

Did you measure it or weigh it? It's an absolute ripper! :thumbup:

That's one mighty bump on it's head too! Congratulations!

That's a great first snapper for the new boat. A good sign for sure!

Cheers

Peter

Wow you lucky angler, although I think it was more than luck that led to that capture.

They taste so good. That reds gotta head only momma red could love.

Well done on the release attempt, I keep the odd Jew coz on release they just don't make it.

Great way to break in the new boat - congratulation. We going to try for reds on weekend.

Mike

Congrats - nice red, and good on you for trying to release it. A couple of years back I had the same experience and decided to hunt around and see if I could find a way to release these big fish.

The best thing I've found that works is to rig up a release weight. The snapper tend to blow up when they come up through the water column - so I borrowed an idea they use in WA which is the biggest snapper lead I could find at the local tackle store (about 1/2 a pound in weight) rigged with some 200lb mono to an upside down s/s 10/0 hook (barb is filed off). This is held in place with some heat shrink (see attached photo). When I have a snapper I want to release, I clip this release weight to a big handline with some 40lb mono on it, stick the hook through the skin in the top jaw of the fish and then lower him down with the weight of the snapper lead overcoming the buoyancy in the fish's guts. I usually lower them down 10-15 metres and you can then feel them come to life and start kicking pretty hard. Take the tension on the handline and usually a short pull and they come free and swim off. It's a bit of work but you then can release the fish and be pretty confident they will be fine to fight another day.

I like to eat snapper, but those big fish need to breed if we want to keep catching them!

post-5469-056139700 1288866974_thumb.jpg