Transducer Position

Berleyguts

I finally got out on the Bay this morning (got soaked to the skin and was not real comfortable so came home early, fishless, but still enjoyed myself). I wanted to test out my new Humminbird combo with side imaging for the first time. It is a 1000 times better than my old b&w Navman and I was really impressed with what it shows and I look froward to learning how to interpret everything.

One thing though, it wasn't reading too well at speed, more the depth reading than anything - the bottom contours etc. were OK. I am wondering if the transducer might be mounted too high?

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I assume the old transducer screw holes were used and I think the old one sat about 1.5cm lower:

IMG_0012.jpg

Too high, do you think?

Thanks,

Baz

Baz, Yes it is too high, 1.5 cm should be about right. Drop it down so that the left side is where the right side is now in relation to the bottom of the boat. On the left side the midpont of the back of the tranny should be just under the boat. Look at pic 2.

Howard.

I've just installed the same sounder, the only the 2nd photo shows the correct perspective, from this one its pretty close to the manual, that said, it isn't hard to move it and give it a run

Also I notice that you don't have the rubber plug that goes in the bracket, it stops th bloody big rooster tail, I need a bit of oil to slip mine in

Stuart

Thanks guys,

I am going to have to have a go at it this week. Looks like I may have some holes to fill... 1yikes.gif

Stuart - not sure what you mean about about the rubber plug that goes in the bracket. There was nothing left over when I picked it up and there doesn't seem to be a mention of it in the instructions. Looks like it's locked in place too... I think I need it to kick up if I hit something... there are often a lot of logs in the water around Wisemans.

Baz

Berleyguts.

Just a thought. Get a piece of ply and cut it to the size of the transome. Bolt it to the back of your boat and use

a suitable adhesive to seal around it. You can then attch what you want to the board and no holes in your boat.

Yes you have to fix the ones that are already there..

Cheers.

Hi Baz, in the second picture it looks fine while the top one with the angle it is at it impossible to tell. If that is where you old one was, that is too low and would of sprayed up alot of water and only way to know if height is right on your boat is to try it and with the peaks so close together on your hull the water flowing past the transducer will get more aerated the faster you go.

Also if you have to raise or lower it there are slots in the mounting bracket so just loosen the screws to adjust and retry.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Baz, in the second picture it looks fine while the top one with the angle it is at it impossible to tell. If that is where you old one was, that is too low and would of sprayed up alot of water and only way to know if height is right on your boat is to try it and with the peaks so close together on your hull the water flowing past the transducer will get more aerated the faster you go.

Also if you have to raise or lower it there are slots in the mounting bracket so just loosen the screws to adjust and retry.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey. I had a look at the fitting instructions you left me and I will have a go at loosening those screws, lower it and retry, maybe with a spirit level. Gives me another excuse to hit the water! If the strakes (or whatever they are called) are too close together, maybe I will just have to buy a new boat...! The old transducer did throw up a bit of a rooster tail.

By the way the 798CX si has blown me away - thanks! The images are great at low speed, so I just need to sort out the high speed operation. Sweet.

Cheers,

Baz