Whale Takes Kingfish - Seriously

fryboy

Hi all,

Had an amazing experience yesterday evening that I want to share. Got out very late yesterday, just time for a quick troll along the walls from Barrenjoey. Got as far as Whale Beach headland where we encountered a *massive* school of Kings feeding on the surface and heading south. I reckon the school covered an area about the size of a standard size house! My mate Glenn manages to hook into one with very light gear and a blade.

post-15755-009496600 1289947343_thumb.jpg

Whilst Glenn is trying hard to bring that King in, I saw a whale come up about 100m further out and heading south. I managed to get a pic.

post-15755-085235500 1289947318_thumb.jpg

A couple of minutes later and Glenn is still trying to bring in the King. Everytime it saw the boat, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, and off he'd go again trying to catch up to the school which had now moved south of us. During one of these runs, we got a bit of a shock to see that the whale (assuming the same one) had turned around and was now heading north and much closer to us. I got another pic.

post-15755-058123500 1289947329_thumb.jpg

I was a bit unsure what to do here, as I know the law regarding 100m/300m to whales, but in this case, the whale was coming to me, not me trying to get to it! We also didnt know where it was heading, so I was unsure which way to move. So as a courtesy I switched off the motor and the sounder and we concentrated on bringing in the King..

Next thing, you couldnt believe it, the whale came up right next to the boat to the south of us!!!!!!!!! See pic

post-15755-031127100 1289947375_thumb.jpg

We could also now clearly see it was not one whale but a mother and her calf. See pic

post-15755-059004700 1289947389_thumb.jpg

That was very, very scary. I didnt want to be this close to such a huge animal and I was concerned that they might come too close and tip us or injure themselves. But that was nothing compared to what happened next....

Glenn still had the King on and it was nearly under the boat. We were about to cut the line, as we had realised that the whales must be coming to us because of the king. As I went for the knife, both mother and calf went right under the bow of the boat!!! Then Glenns line just went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for about three seconds and that was it, all over. We never saw the whales again - but mind you, we were a bit in shock and were just looking at each other going 'what the ^*(&( just happened??'

I talked to the NPWS this morning about the incident. They confirmed that we werent in the wrong as the whales approached us. We did the right thing in turning the engine and sounder off. They also said that if Glenns lure is in or on the whale, it wont cause them much discomfort and they would shed it quickly. Phew. They also confirmed that humpback whales (which they think these were) dont eat fish! So the reason for the interest in Glenns Kingfish is unknown....

As it was getting dark, we headed back towards home. Going along the north face of Barrenjoey, we encountered another school of kings. Glenn managed to boat two undersize which were returned. I managed a big fat zero, and am still to catch my first King!

post-15755-001725200 1289947407_thumb.jpg

Fryboy

Edited by fryboy

Awesome post Fryboy and good on you for taking the measures to avoid stressing the mother and her calf :thumbup: .

PS - You should have had your keys out for a close photo of the whale to claim the fish of the month :074: , oh but whales aren't fish....still would have been a great 'fish of the month submission'.

Hi all,

Had an amazing experience yesterday evening that I want to share. Got out very late yesterday, just time for a quick troll along the walls from Barrenjoey. Got as far as Whale Beach headland where we encountered a *massive* school of Kings feeding on the surface and heading south. I reckon the school covered an area about the size of a standard size house! My mate Glenn manages to hook into one with very light gear and a blade.

post-15755-009496600 1289947343_thumb.jpg

Whilst Glenn is trying hard to bring that King in, I saw a whale come up about 100m further out and heading south. I managed to get a pic.

post-15755-085235500 1289947318_thumb.jpg

A couple of minutes later and Glenn is still trying to bring in the King. Everytime it saw the boat, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, and off he'd go again trying to catch up to the school which had now moved south of us. During one of these runs, we got a bit of a shock to see that the whale (assuming the same one) had turned around and was now heading north and much closer to us. I got another pic.

post-15755-058123500 1289947329_thumb.jpg

I was a bit unsure what to do here, as I know the law regarding 100m/300m to whales, but in this case, the whale was coming to me, not me trying to get to it! We also didnt know where it was heading, so I was unsure which way to move. So as a courtesy I switched off the motor and the sounder and we concentrated on bringing in the King..

Next thing, you couldnt believe it, the whale came up right next to the boat to the south of us!!!!!!!!! See pic

post-15755-031127100 1289947375_thumb.jpg

We could also now clearly see it was not one whale but a mother and her calf. See pic

post-15755-059004700 1289947389_thumb.jpg

That was very, very scary. I didnt want to be this close to such a huge animal and I was concerned that they might come too close and tip us or injure themselves. But that was nothing compared to what happened next....

Glenn still had the King on and it was nearly under the boat. We were about to cut the line, as we had realised that the whales must be coming to us because of the king. As I went for the knife, both mother and calf went right under the bow of the boat!!! Then Glenns line just went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz for about three seconds and that was it, all over. We never saw the whales again - but mind you, we were a bit in shock and were just looking at each other going 'what the ^*(&( just happened??'

I talked to the NPWS this morning about the incident. They confirmed that we werent in the wrong as the whales approached us. We did the right thing in turning the engine and sounder off. They also said that if Glenns lure is in or on the whale, it wont cause them much discomfort and they would shed it quickly. Phew. They also confirmed that humpback whales (which they think these were) dont eat fish! So the reason for the interest in Glenns Kingfish is unknown....

As it was getting dark, we headed back towards home. Going along the north face of Barrenjoey, we encountered another school of kings. Glenn managed to boat two undersize which were returned. I managed a big fat zero, and am still to catch my first King!

post-15755-001725200 1289947407_thumb.jpg

Fryboy

Hi fryboy interesting report,curious what do hump back whales eat if they don,t eat fish.Good to see some large kingie schools around,and it looks like a trip of a lifetime you had out there with the fish and whales HaHa :yahoo:

chris.

Hi fryboy interesting report,curious what do hump back whales eat if they don,t eat fish.Good to see some large kingie schools around,and it looks like a trip of a lifetime you had out there with the fish and whales HaHa :yahoo:

chris.

WOW thats amazing, probably scary at the same time as welll. Hump backs feed on krills, small shrimps.

Hi Fryboy,

My guess would be that you were "collateral damage". Don't doubt that the whales were interested, and came to take a look, but suspect that you then ended up with them picking up your line as they went through, and then breaking you off.

Saw something similar when spearfishing years ago in South Africa. My teammate had speared a cobia, which had been swimming with a 50' whale sharp. Fish swam under, then over the shark, and "reefed" him around the dorsal. He was left chasing after his float as it headed out to sea. Recovered it the next day, with spear and fish broken off.

Humpbacks are primarily krill feeders, AFAIK, but certainly they do eat fish. I have seen amazing footage of them near Newfoundland, feeding on baitfish (pilchard?) shoals. They spiral up under a baitball, blowing streams of bubbles into a "net" which keps the baitball together, until the humpback breaks up through the surface, taking the whole ball in one go. Never heard of them taking larger fiah though.

regards

Alastair

Have a strange feeling that the whale might have rescued that kingfish instead of eating it.

Kingfish: yo mother whale, give us a fin here?

Whale: Sure thing brother, ill just sit on his line.

Kingfish: cheers mother whale, just curious you aint gona eat me are you?

Not Sure, if the next trip will live up to this one.. I was there and I still don't believe it! (just bigger Kings would be nice.... and smaller whales!) and J there is always next time.

:yahoo:

ahaaaa. Welcome to the forum Glenn. Mate, there could be better adventures next time.

Fryboy

Have a strange feeling that the whale might have rescued that kingfish instead of eating it.

Kingfish: yo mother whale, give us a fin here?

Whale: Sure thing brother, ill just sit on his line.

Kingfish: cheers mother whale, just curious you aint gona eat me are you?

:074::074::Funny-Post: so thats what was going on down there

Edited by Prawn Star

last sunday I had a calf and mother swim past the boat while we where fishing about 5kms off Clovelly,,, funny the whale watchers where about 2kms in away from us,,, and seeing nothing!!!!! they are pretty common out there,,,,,just dont want them to surface under my boat!!!!!...or take my line!!!!!

Great read Fryboy.

Like George said, they are clever creatures, it wasn't a fluke that the mother was between your boat and her calf. I lived in Hervey Bay for years and spent plenty of time on the water and we would see them regularly, in very similar circumstances as yours.

Magestic and beautiful creatures.

:thumbup: Wow! What an amazing story! It's first thing on a saturday morning, and I have woken, full of beans, and have been desperately trying to get my hungover partner to take me out on the boat to go fishing (no joy by the way).

I can't believe that Humpacks don't eat tasty Kingfish! I sure do.

Thanks for making my morning.. Celia