Gauging Reaction To Forming A Club

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

As indicated in Lure and Fly Chat - Kingfish Traps, I undertook to get some information together regarding establishing a Fishraider Fishing Club as a separate entity to Fishraider.com.au. The reason behind it was not only to gain affiliation with ANSA but also as a conduit to lobbyists to voice concerns that a number of members have expressed.

For those that are unaware, ANSA is the acronym for Australian National Sportsfishing Association and is recognised at government level as being a representative sporting body and invited to participate and comment on a number of different initiatives. ANSA has a voice in Recfish Australia, the peak national recreational and sport fishing lobby organisation representing Australia’s 5.5 million fishers and their $2.9 billion a year national recreational fishing industry.

ANSA is likewise represented on the Australian Recreational and Sport Fishing Confederation a federally funded Canberra based organisation composed of national fishing groups.

ANSANSW is the NSW State Branch and offers its members a number of benefits from tagging programs through to regular competitions and the Angel Ring project. Their website is found at this LINK. That's enough about ANSA for now.

To establish a Club is pretty easy and inexpensive [approx figures quoted only]. The initial application fee is in the order of $140 and an annual fee of around $41 is due when you lodge an annual return [must be lodged]. There are other conditions such as establishing by-laws and office bearers and having an annual general meeting/voting etc.

ANSA affiliation fees that give you all the benefits as an ANSA member, including a degree of personal insurance, currently runs at $60 per year for each member. With legal liability issues as they currently are, Public liability insurance for a CLub has been highly recommended and I understand that ANSA has arranged an annual package deal for around $600 per Club.

Although it sounds a bit pricey as I reckon a Club with 50 full members will have a membership fee of around $100 per annum [$2.00 per week], however the more members either the cheaper it will become or junior membership may be subsidised somewhat. To gain full appreciation of the benfits of being an ANSA affiliated Club see the LINK above.

Deckie3 may like to elaborate on ANSA membership or he might like to get Yanko Serifi [state membership contact] to post some more details on the benefits of ANSA membership.

The purpose of this post is to gain an appreciation of interest in forming the Fishraider Fishing Club - a separate entity to Fishraider.com.au however, with Ken A's support, would continue to use this forum as a contact/newspoint.

What I think we would like to see is open discussion of this issue and an indication of interest to proceed with this idea further.

I'm a member of two clubs already, the Sydney Fly Rodders and Sydney Bass clubs. I'm stretched to make meetings for those, but would be interested to see what Raiders thought of your idea George. Clubs are good for all the reasons you mentioned, but there is a fair bit of time and commitment involved.

I think it would be a good idea for the reasons mentioned, but as an out of towner be unable to attend.

This also happens with a lot of other Clubs, but if there was a 'Club' page on the forum to keep members up to date on activites and plans we could lend our support in whatever weay we could.

Guest bluecod

10 members won't do it - too many $ [abt.$135 p.a.]

20 members and we could probably scrape through at $100 p.a.

[30 members @ $90, 40 members @ $80]

Unless we find a sponsor for club insurance and that's not likely unless we have quite a number of members.

Open to suggestions !

• 7 months later...

Great idea myself and Tunofun were talking about this exact idea on tuesday and how good it would be Im in just tell me how much and where to meet. May I propose my house as the club house :biggrin2: and a meeting of potential members in the very near future. Purhaps even I could be the treasurer of the beverage fund :1naughty:

I have fished with ANSA since 1983 and what it takes is a lot of commitment from a select few to keep it going ,There are a lot of rules these days and if you are going to run a fishing club ,the PRESIDENT ,TREASURER AND OTHER MEMEBERS OF THE COMMITEE must work thier butts off to keep it all on track.It sounds easy until you actually do it .I was the secretary for a few years and just the correspondence was a nightmare .There are a lot of costs involved once you start it up . I would be willing to help out on this if we get some numbers i.e around 50 with thier hands up for starters and not just maybes ,people who genuinely want to fish by ANSA rules and COMPS :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman