Making Aluminium Dull

fishon

I fished from a boat that had the same floor and problem. It is very glairy but the floor got very hot in summer

so we he simply cut out a piece of ply to fit neatly over the plate and after each trip removed it to wash the boat out.

He also used carpet (out door) with rubber backing again fitted to the shape of the floor over the plate.

When bream fishing etc and you dont want to make a lot of noise this helped alot. Sinkers etc make a heck of a noise as you are aware bouncing around the boat. It can also be quite slippery when wet so be carefull about what foot wear you use

especially if children are on board.

If I read your post wrong sorry but Thinking back on what I said I should have given more detail. You will find the boat quite different with the new floor. There will be no spring or flex.

Cheers and hope you catch plenty of fish this summer.

the only way to dull it down is with age and weather it should only take about a month if left out side but a quick fix would be to give it a dust coat off flat black like the inside off most boats to cut down glair

alight sand will proberly speed up the prosses

cheers gary

Aluminium reacts well with caustic solitions.

If you can get some sodiun hydroxide and dilute it just try a small point with an art brush to see if it does the job before doing the whole deck.

Maybe bleach would do the same thing. It should dull the surface a fair bit.

Another thought is try a small bit with an etch primer for aluminium and then wash it off to see what effect you get.

I have a checkerplate floor in my boat and I can tell you one thing mate that on a hot summer's day it will fry you if you don't have carpet!! What I don't understand is how some of you blokes change your boat carpet so often. If you buy the proper boat carpet it should last you decades!! easy to clean and dries in a jiffy, that is as long as you do clean it once you get home not a month later

Cheers

im gona paint it with non slip paint

i had an aluminium floor in my other boat and painted it with etch primer

didnt fry you if you wore shoes lol

personally i reckn carpet is crud this way will turn out heaps better

cheers guys for all your replies

I have a checkerplate floor in my boat and I can tell you one thing mate that on a hot summer's day it will fry you if you don't have carpet!! What I don't understand is how some of you blokes change your boat carpet so often. If you buy the proper boat carpet it should last you decades!! easy to clean and dries in a jiffy, that is as long as you do clean it once you get home not a month later

Cheers

Hear, Hear, I'm with you Dorado.

Tuffy

Hi, I was just wondering do you guys soak your carpet with a hose when you get home, or just give it a light mist over.

Hose it down with the garden hose and nozzle for a bit of pressure, fully saturate it if you want to, its mate for that. Under that it will be marine ply if built right and thats also made for that! My boats never been kept undercover, sitting in the backyard for the past 6 years and the flooring looks and feels the way it did when i bought it.

I recently thought about checker plating the floor the make it lighter and look better but basically cant be bothered! LOL

Ive got checker plate tool boxes on my ute they are 6 years old now and still almost as shiney as they were brand new so possibly could depend of the grade or supplier of the aluminium? Just a thought.

Musty

• 2 weeks later...