Trailer wheel issue - any advice

Stacer560

ok guys went out new years day on the boat, and noticed one trailer wheel was slightly cambered. I th ought it may have been on a slight angle and the suspension had adjusted the wheel positioning slightly.

Anyhow, after driving back home to wash the boat i noticed trailer was slightly noisier and boat was a bit un steady, so when i got home i noticed camber again on a flat surface, so i undid wheel and found the wheel hub was loose and brake was grinding on the wheel.

So off came the wheel bearing, pin and i tighted the nut, put the pin back in. Then all look back in place and tight held.

Then after travelling out again, when i went to reverse boat into the water, boat struggled to reverse (even with boat brake latch down). Anyway got it in the water. then got home and checked it again and wheel seems to have cambered again.

I havent taken it off yet to see if the hub is loose. But assuming it is, would you think i may have damaged the hub from the 5-10kms i did with a loose hub?

Because i tightened it so much that there is no way it is lose.

I think with the friction i may need a new hub and wheel bearing kit.

What are your thoughts / suggestions?

Do you think my philosophy (if you call it that) is right?

Tomorrow i intend to take wheel off, remove bearing / hub and fix it, but just want to make sure its the hub damaged.

Your help / advise will be greatly appreciated.

Your bearings have collapsed. Do not use the trailer. The hub probably will be ok but thoroughly inspect for any signs of damage.

Replace both sides with seals and inner and outer bearings. You will have to drive out the race with something and a hammer.

C.

Yes I agree absolutley.. the bearings have gone and I would guess that it may have damaged the hub and bearing seats as well.. Also check the axel on the bottom side .. you might find that it has been grinded away as well??

good luck with it all mate.. All of this should be a easy fix and the lighter side.. :05:

Guest Aussie007

do u have a split pin holding the axle nut in place? since your having this problem just replace the bearings,bearing races,seals,grease if the bearings have came loose from the cage u might have damaged the machined axle surface u need to pull the hub off completely remove the rear bearing and seal wash all grease off with petrol or wipe it off with a rag and closely inspect the axle for pits or scratches if there are signs of these u will need a new axle as just replacing the bearings these will get chewed up very fast

hey fezza, i have done it all before so its not first hand.

Took off the wheel and found the bearing had broken. NO damage to the axle.

So i have put in a new bearing kit with plenty of grease and boat cruises just fine.

Guest Aussie007

hey fezza, i have done it all before so its not first hand.

Took off the wheel and found the bearing had broken. NO damage to the axle.

So i have put in a new bearing kit with plenty of grease and boat cruises just fine.

good job mate did u also change the bearing races that come with the new bearing kits? if u didnt the old bearings would have chewed up the shiny surface as well and that in return will chew up your new bearings

Make sure you use marine bearing hi temperature grease and you slap it into the bearing on the palm of your hand before installing them. A lot of bearing failure is due to the bearing being put on with a bit of grease just slapped on the outside of the bearing where it does absolutely nothing. Check your bearings after your first run to make sure they haven't come loose slightly and re-adjust if necessary.

Regards Jeff

Make sure you use marine bearing hi temperature grease and you slap it into the bearing on the palm of your hand before installing them. A lot of bearing failure is due to the bearing being put on with a bit of grease just slapped on the outside of the bearing where it does absolutely nothing. Check your bearings after your first run to make sure they haven't come loose slightly and re-adjust if necessary.

Regards Jeff

Thats my thoughts as well, Stacer560 sounds like you are not experienced to pack bearings, no intent to insult you mate .

You hve to pack the grease in to the bearing, if you know how to do it well and good.

If you don't and you haven't pack them, take them out again and pack them, the gease has to go into the bearing, just putting grease on it and in the hub is NOT enough.

As others said I hope you changed the whole lot ( the caps, inner and outer as well) and replaced the seals, old seals shouldn't be re-used, they will leak..

wrxhoon this is my 6th set of bearings changed and of course i know how to pack bearings.

I removed all old bearings and sleaves, machined the discs.

The new bearings were double packed with marine hi temp grease, and as well as using the grease gun for the wheel cap.

I know what to do thanks anyway.

wrxhoon this is my 6th set of bearings changed and of course i know how to pack bearings.

As I said mate no offence intended, 6 Sets of bearings in this trailer???Thats a lot of bearings mate, if the seals don't leak one set should last you for years, of coupse if the seal is stuffed and water gets in they wo't even last one trip.

I removed all old bearings and sleaves, machined the discs.

Were the bearings rusty? was the grease in them clean , just like when you pack them? If there was evidence of milky grease , it means water in there. Machining the discs will not have any effect on the bearings.

The new bearings were double packed with marine hi temp grease

I don't know what you mean by double packing but as long as you know how to pack them thats the main thing.

and as well as using the grease gun for the wheel cap.

Do you mean pump gease in the bearing buddies? If yes that's a good idea but careful not to overdo it, you will push the seal out of place.

I know what to do thanks anyway.

Thats the main thing