The Bay 5/1/11

hornets

Well, the weather finally came good enough to get the boys out for a day at the bay . Headed for livies first which they love to catch . Saw another guy close by and turns out to be a fellow raider. Hi Chriso . How did you end up . We went outside at 830 straight to Cape Banks where things looked great with little wind & a bit of swell breaking we got a double hook up of bonitos to start with in 50m . Things then slowed on the bonito so the DR was let loose . Havent had many successful hook ups of late . On the first pass on the north drop off it goes off & the boys couldnt believe it . We had a king but it turned out to be 640 mm . The boys were gutted to find after the mammoth fight we had to return it . We didnt get anymore there & they were restless so we made our way back inside & promised a snorkeling trip to get them out via the cans . Within 30m we were getting hit . The little king were smashing the DR . We lost 6 yakkas with no hook ups . I put the smallest one on one & deployed. We made it around to the northwest can when for the first time I could really see a school of kings on my little hummingbird . It was a big school. The next thing you know one of the boys is fighting hard with aking & isnt he loving it . Again it was small , 620 this one but all in all a great day with a snorkel at Yarra bay to find someone over the break had what looks like to be a blow up pool that had been ripped & they just let it sink . I was going to try & pull it up but it was a good 3-4m accross & about 5m deep to it . I didnt want to be to far from the boys out there so I had to leave it . Dont people have any idea . Every one has the right to use the water ,but look after our future.

post-11296-007184100 1294215644_thumb.jpg

post-11296-030912600 1294217427_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornets

Hey Mate!!

Great to meet you today!! good to hear the boys had a good day. Ended up with 2 bonito 2 undersize kings one in the 500's and one 630mm and thanks to your Yakkers a nice king of 920mm, all the kings in the same spot, where I was just before the point when you waved to me as you headed out this morning. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks again for the yakkers very kind of you hope i can return the favour someday soon.

Kriso

Top stuff, At least I can say that's as close as I have come to a 920 specimen . Cant wait to see the big fellow . No problem for the yakkas as the kids like that part of the day collecting,especially when the burley & fish were already there. We topped up our stockpile in 10mins . See you out there. Adam

Great to see kids enjoying themselves with their dad and catching a few .

We should send all these happy snaps to our green politicians showing them how cruel and out of touch with society they are.

and ask them why they want to spoil a day out with their dad.

Hey guys

My bro and his kids and i headed out to the bay off molineux point cuaght a bonito on the way out and a few small snapper. Could someone tell me where to get the yakka's ive tried around the bridge no luck. also those dropper riggs with a dozen small hooks never have any luck.

Really want to try catching some kingies on livies.

Cheers

How pumped do the little blokes look!!!! Thats great that you got them onto some kings even if they were only just unders. That seems to be the trend at the moment for a lot of people myself included, loosing a lot of baits and the ones that do hook up are only rats! Bring on the big guys!

Edited by fishlexic

Shaggytrevally,

Do you burley with some bread to get them biting . Then in my burley bucket I use on a rope I give it a pull then follow the trail with the bait jig . They always get on then . Find a spot that has kelp & rock is what I do . Get there early as they go quiet sometimes later. Ihope this helps with yakkas. If only Squid was as easy . It is hard to spend the time hunting for squid with impatient kids nipping at your heels & snagging every second cast, but they will no doubt out fish there old man soon for squid .

Cheers for that hornet Ive used bread for mullet but they just dont seem to kick around enough for kingies, ive had tailor take small mullet but not kingies, I will try the bread berley to get them on the bite.

Im heading out again with a couple of mates on Friday arvo for night fish might have a crack then.

Cheers

Could someone tell me where to get the yakka's ive tried around the bridge no luck. also those dropper riggs with a dozen small hooks never have any luck.

Really want to try catching some kingies on livies.

Cheers

When your heading to molineaux point from the botany ramp you will see the tug boats parked on your left where the wall starts, theres a little cove in there. You should get plenty of yakkas in there. There was about 6 boats hovering around there yesterday pulling them in one after another. I just use a sabiki rig on a hand line with some bread on the hooks and burley up a bit.

[quote name='hornets' timestamp='1294216937' post='386347'

it is always great to see kids fishing.and we should all send photos to these pollies/greenies

i agree its not that hard to dispose of rubbish properly if your concientious.

well done to the boys.