kings and jews of Sydney

namesay

Kelvin,

Have not seen any reports from you of late. Was wondering what you were up to - very clearly doing lots of fishing!

Your catch rate shows the depth of understanding you have for the all aspects of the fishing game, from location, time, technique, rigs, etc. Very grateful for the reports you've shared over the years.

pmak

Hi Kelvin

nice to see your reports on the forum again and congats on your Contender

damn nice boat :thumbup:

with your knowledge of the harbour Kings and Jews you could write a book

please keep the reports coming

Chris

Edited by Chris 55

Kelvin,

Have not seen any reports from you of late. Was wondering what you were up to - very clearly doing lots of fishing!

Your catch rate shows the depth of understanding you have for the all aspects of the fishing game, from location, time, technique, rigs, etc. Very grateful for the reports you've shared over the years.

pmak

Still go out fishing several times a week. Split my time between golf every now and then.

The good thing about fishing is that there is always something new! If it wasn't then it wouldn't be the same. It is always a challenge to keep one step ahead. We fish in the most heavily fished waters in the country and the fish are subjected to more fishing pressure than anywhere else. Keeps thing interesting.

Often a gun technique will lose its effectiveness in a season or 2. The fish wise up or the technique is too common. Have a look at the famous sluggo lure. I haven't caught a decent king with a sluggo for several years but when it was first introduced, it was a fantastic lure. The search for something new or rehashing an old technique is what keeps the puzzle from becoming too easy.

The really good news is that our kings are definitely getting bigger and more numerous. The banning of the pelagic traps and the introduction of farmed kings has meant that a lot more wild fish are available for us fishos. In recent years it has been an arms race between the kings and the fishos. It started with 30lb braid then 50lb...it soon escalated to 80lb. Now my friends and I routinely use 100+lb braid and still lose occasionally. 15-20kg fish are now more common and we get a meter long fish almost every trip. At this rate, pretty soon we will have them back to the levels when I was a boy in the 70's and 80's. Better saddle up and enjoy the ride!

lately I have been mucking around with some fishing gear to handle the high breaking strain braid we are using. No good having all this firepower and not being able to use it. Got a some tricky rods and reels which are making fishing so much easier. I hope stuff like this will become routine in the future as it will allow more people to enjoy the type of fishing we have at our doorstep. Cheers Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

nice to see your reports on the forum again and congats on your Contender

damn nice boat :thumbup:

with your knowledge of the harbour Kings and Jews you could write a book

please keep the reports coming

Chris

Spent a lot of time setting up the boat for my needs and my height! The factory and the local importer must have had hissy fits when they saw my demands. They got them done however!

The contender isn't for everyone. No cabin is a big minus for some. Also the hull isn't really suited to trolling for marlin or tuna as it uses too much fuel at those speeds. The back end squats too much and sucks up juice. Puts too much load on the engine. Also not so steady at anchor as the deep hull tends to list more than flatter hulls. I don't use an anchor whenever I fish so this is not an issue.

This boat is designed for performance so that you can get out to the grounds quicker or in worse weather than the other guy. A perfect point and shoot craft with lots of room for casting and fishing.

I guess I could write a book but most books on fishing are for rank beignners. They only show basic knots and rigs and a few pointers on bait or lures. Some magazine article are downright insulting as they are written by novices with little depth of knowledge on the subject. But there is one book which is head and shoulders above the rest. It is called Knowing Bass by Keith Jones PHd. I keep re-reading this book time and time again. The pages are starting to wear out but the contents are gold. It is one of the few fishing books which contain scientific fact. No guessing with the results or personal opinions.

Some of the chapters are heavy reading for those without medical or anatomical knowledge but not too bad. Most of the chapters are gems to fishos and almost every paragraph has snippets of information which can be used on the water immediately. Pretty cheap as well. under $20. worth reading and re-reading. Cheers Kelvin