Sydney Kings - Slow Season

plankton

Hi all,

Exceptionally slow season on the King front this year - have been loaded with Squid, Yakkas and Slimies on the last couple of trips and tried all of the spots for zilch. The water temp is good, but the Kings seemingly aren't here to play.

Is anyone else finding this to be the case. Just curious as I've lost the knack or just plain unlucky!

Yeah mate - it has been a pretty tough season.

There have been plenty of very decent fish in the harbour although now it is getting harder to catch these due to the crazy number of rats.

But as for fishing for Kings outside the harbour - i can't remember the last time i caught a legal fish outside of the heads, and its not for a lack of trying! The usual fail safe spots have not only not produced there have been zero fish there!!! Very frustrating to say the least!!! Seems like everywhere except Sydney has been firing.

The current has really turned on over the weekend and seriously warm water has pushed in close - maybe that will be the kick start that is needed.

i extensivley fished botany bay over the summer holidays and caught close to 70 kings in 2 weeks of the 60 odd only 7 legal fish were taken. biggest being 73cm (mind u though we did get smoked more than a few times on 50pd main and 80pd leader). fish were caught trolling, downrigging, baiting and plastics. had alot of reports from mates getting into numerous 80cm+ kings in the same session of jervis bay. so hopefully next year the big fella's move into sydney for us.

cheers hamerz.

Edited by hamerz84

Hey Raiders, seems to be no problem fiding and catching the rats. I reckon there are good fish there you've just gotta get your bait past the ravenous little buggers! If they keep growing and stick around hopefully we might have a plague of 70+ cm fish to play with! Fingers crossed.

I guess I'm not the only one missing out then.

The last couple of seasons gone bigger models were plentiful at the spots and big smiles all round.

Seems trhis year is more hit and miss. Although there were two bruisers under the wharfs at the Spit last week - watching them crash through a school of Yakkas leaving the survivors packing brownines really got the heart racing!

I fished Pittwater on Sunday and managed a rat and my mates two more however one legal was landed... It went just size 68cm... i have never caught rats until this season

I have to say im not too dissapointed about the number of rats around at the moment because i know they have to grow and when they are legal i will be there o catch them... and thats when i will know it was all worth it...

Cheers SquidKing Combo

Nope you are not sucking, Its official. I AM!:ranting2:

Ive done about 50 hours on the water in the last 3 weeks and bar about 3 rats i've caught stuff all!

Saturday had 5 good sized squid and 5 yakkas in the livie tank by 730 and came home with a donut at about 3pm.... not even a rat. We caught a few horse tailor of about 4 kilos on bream gear with 6 lb braid which was good fun and saved the day a little but just had our downrigged squid picked off by small fish for no hook ups, we lost a few yakkas with no hook ups and we tried anchoring up and floating livies and strips and tried all the spots throught the harbour and mh that i know and still got squat!!!!!:1badmood: :1badmood: :1badmood:

Something has got to give soon.

Hi Brett,

Mate I haven't really fished for the last month as January can be a most difficult month for fishing.

Things should settle soon and some bigger fish should be on the cards consistently. I will be hitting my usual spots over the next few weeks.

Going to target kings again but during late feb and onwards it will be jewies for me.

See ya out there.

Mike

Nope you are not sucking, Its official. I AM!:ranting2:

Ive done about 50 hours on the water in the last 3 weeks and bar about 3 rats i've caught stuff all!

Saturday had 5 good sized squid and 5 yakkas in the livie tank by 730 and came home with a donut at about 3pm.... not even a rat. We caught a few horse tailor of about 4 kilos on bream gear with 6 lb braid which was good fun and saved the day a little but just had our downrigged squid picked off by small fish for no hook ups, we lost a few yakkas with no hook ups and we tried anchoring up and floating livies and strips and tried all the spots throught the harbour and mh that i know and still got squat!!!!!:1badmood: :1badmood: :1badmood:

Something has got to give soon.

Go try fish in close around the gap and your live bait will be hit in no time.

Hi Brett,

Mate I haven't really fished for the last month as January can be a most difficult month for fishing.

Things should settle soon and some bigger fish should be on the cards consistently. I will be hitting my usual spots over the next few weeks.

Going to target kings again but during late feb and onwards it will be jewies for me.

See ya out there.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Hope all's well.

The Kings I saw were tucked in close by and no doubt will get a wiff of your baits.

I think Feb will probably be a better month as well - fingers crossed!

By the way think my post didn't work recently - havn't a boat as yet. The one I fished from lately belongs to my mate.

Tight lines, Brett

Spotted a few rats today, I mean small about 60cm taking my burley trail. Wouldn't touch a 6/0 hook so had to down size leader and hook thickness. Managed a few but they made short work of the light gear. Definitely a slow season!

Go try fish in close around the gap and your live bait will be hit in no time.

I've tried every spot you can name from the harbour bridge to the colours and bluefin point off north head over the last month, spent plenty of time at the gap/colours area as well downrigging liveys of all sorts and pour mans and plastics and poppers......

I think im just having a really bad run. It will break soon though and it better break big when it does!!!!!:1badmood:

nah definitely not the only ones not getting into the kings. Been out with a fellow raider, trolled for hours and hours around the gap, colours for donut. Gona try botany bay maybe, at least get into some rats and maybe a legal as well.

so far this year ive caught 5 kings, 2 legals, the rest were rats and were taken trolling a Halco Lazer pro in gold/black... i had one that went 63cm :ranting2: So close..

The 2 legals were caught on a paternoster with 2 droppers, 1 on each hook!!! :yahoo: since then nothing but rats... Fun to catch but ge ide like to take one home... lol

edit:these were all just outside the hawksbury, i havnt fished the harbour yet...

Edited by Laze_About

We have actually had a good season this year with plenty of fish and a few over the metre mark.

We have found squidding a bit harder this year but once we get the squid we find the kings are not a problem, went out over the weekend and got 7 kings with 5 over 75cm and biggest going 93cm....

This year has been a year for fishing the wrecks, the rats are all over the markers and cakes, but they seem to be staying away from the various wrecks through the Harbour main and Middle Harbour

Whats the rat to legal kingy ratio in a normal season? It's my first summer in Sydney so I have nothing to compare it to.

I hit 25 rats this morning with only 1 keeper and that only scraped into the legal bracket. I couldn't get a bait past them. Resorted to one rod with the biggest baits I could rig up!

The legals are still defintaley around in numbers and remain all year round but in lower concentrations and have done so for years. We have not caught a legal for a few weeks due to other committments, b'days, illness, parties, baby showers, too tired, you name it.

Next time the rats are on, put a horse yakka of 230mm or bigger down it should result in a legal king seeing as though the rats cant get it down.

Dan