Botany Bay... still fishing very well

dhype

Hi Raider

Just a quick post...

Got myself a new kingfish SP rod/reel combo loaded 10lb and wanted to test it out.. so I hit Botany yesterday evening at 6:30pm for a quick session.

Was on the water for less than 2 hours and ended up with 8 kingfish and a massive salmon going 67cm which made the drag on the 2500 Daiwa Certate sing!

Caught 5 fish on plastics and the other 4 on live squid which I had dangled over the side (plenty of squid around ATM too!).

All fish released to the dismay of the other boaters who once again circled me around me ....they even asked if they could have my fish as they caught NOTHING !! hahahahahah ........biggrin2.gif

Anyway.. the new combo was so sweet to use and handled the all fish with no issues... testing completed!

post-10545-012868700 1296677767_thumb.jpg

post-10545-059626500 1296677785_thumb.jpg

post-10545-012304800 1296677798_thumb.jpg

post-10545-068448100 1296677811_thumb.jpg

post-10545-040909500 1296677824_thumb.jpg

post-10545-088329000 1296677838_thumb.jpg

Just on another note...I took a mate out on Saturday who was a kingfish virgin and we managed to boat 20+ kings that day so if you want kings (even though they are mostly rats) now is the time to hit that bay!

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE

Edited by dhype

Well done...Again Trung.

You are killing it in the bay :thumbup:

Nice setup you got there.

had to buy a new rod/reel cuz my old setup got dragged into the water by a kingfish after I accidemtly left a baited hook dangling 30cm from the surface!! Bye bye $500!!! Hahahah !

had to buy a new rod/reel cuz my old setup got dragged into the water by a kingfish after I accidemtly left a baited hook dangling 30cm from the surface!! Bye bye $500!!! Hahahah !

oh snap :( $500 downed :(

i find it hard to actually fish kingfish, but having sdaid that i dont game fish as i dont own a boat yet.

i usually go port botany of rocks but never any luck. :(

Grats on the fish mate

you're a damn inspiration trung! love the posts! have been trying that area in my new yak without success yet but when it comes I will have you to thank! Shame about the dozens of "idiots-with-boats-who-are-a-danger-to-themselves-and-others" that this place seems to attract though...

For those of us doing it in small vessels/yaks (and trying to play it safe/by the rules) - it makes it that much harder. Always have one eye on the water/rod - and one eye looking out for the next moron trying to kill you.

Congrats on your great fishing & ethical releases!

oh snap :( $500 downed :(

i find it hard to actually fish kingfish, but having sdaid that i dont game fish as i dont own a boat yet.

i usually go port botany of rocks but never any luck. :(

Grats on the fish mate

hi-

try getting some fresh caught squid or large soft plastics and you should get into the kings!

Cheers

Is that a luvias rod? If so what model and how do you rate them ?

Oh btw, nice king especially for botany

hi -

yes , it's a daiwa luvias rod - 8 to 14lb rating.

Using a certate 2506 reel with it and it feels great... So good I went out and got the lighter version of the rod!

Cheers

trung

Sounds like you had plenty of action there Alan, Not one kingy on size, maybe most of them go to NZ when they are on size, The Mcdonald food tray makes a good bait board, :thumbup: i like the fact it has turned up sides and the bait juices stay in. Did you target any jews.

Hey george -

the majority of the kings were under but I have got a few legals... does not worry me too much cuz I don't really eat fish and release most of the anyway.

Have not targetted Jews yet (only got a few as lure by-catches) as I am relatively new to the boating world and thus so far have only learnt how to get flatties and kings etc... Bream on lures is my next challenge... then it will be the Jews!!!!

Cheers

well done again Trung! heading out this weekend? I'll be there Sat morning. Hopefully land some bigger ones!

I should be out this weekend also so I'll look out for your boat... Conditions look crap according to seabreeze... Sucks

Hi Trung, nice king and very nice salmon. You said that there is lots of squid around atm. If you dont mind me asking, where abouts do you catch them.

-Steve

mate- just fond an area with kelp and sand and you will find the squid. Bare island, yarra bay, the nudest beach etc will all hold squid .. You many need to move around till you find them. Good luck

trung

I should be out this weekend also so I'll look out for your boat... Conditions look crap according to seabreeze... Sucks

just checked, sat morning looks pretty good. don't care, been a week since i got out so let it blow a gale, I'll still be out there :biggrin2:

yeah i'll keep an eye out for the pink noodle :biggrin2: