Zippity doo daa zippity day... my first kingy!

kingky

Fished down Wollongong way last weekend and had a great day land based. Caught my first of a few kings and some bonnies, salmon and flatties. Lost 2 other kings, 1 of which appeared to be close to a metre(prob wasn't but it sure looked like it was close to it!) but it busted my hook off as i pulled it up over the rocks. Lost 2 other good sized bonitos as well. Quite a few other fish were returned as i had caught enough fish already to feed the family. The kingy i did keep measured 72cms and 2 others that were caught were rats around 50-60cms so were again thrown back 2 fight another day. The salmon measured 85cms and the bonnie was 81cms. Tried my first livie tank set up and worked a treat. Ended up not having to use a 2kg bag of pilchards! Fish weren't record size but was still a great enjoyable day :thumbup:

Overall was pretty pleased with myself catchin a kingy even though it wasn't anything to write home about but what really was funny is that one bloke was tellin me it was a salmon and was lookin at me strangely as i mustve been pretty stoked with excitement. He walked away sayin to someone else... "It was just a salmon"! :secret:

Forgot to mention also it was a day for blackfishers also. There were schools of them just hangin round the weed.

post-14839-091465000 1298443386_thumb.jpg

post-14839-044409300 1298443424_thumb.jpg

post-14839-084998800 1298443475_thumb.jpg

Edited by kingky

My rod & reel isn't anything too flash... a 12ft graphite rod combined with the daiwa reel but they sure work well together. The tank looks a bit "howz ur father" but it does the job nicely :thumbup:

post-14839-068272200 1298443766_thumb.jpg

post-14839-006927900 1298443812_thumb.jpg

post-14839-044335700 1298443880_thumb.jpg

Edited by kingky

thats awesome - looks like a great day out. monster bonnie too - although all great fish !

where abouts were you?

hope you didnt have to lug the bait tank too far :1yikes:

Down at the Coal Terminal. The access is pretty good provided the front gates are open otherwise you're in for a loooonnngg walk! All i can say is thank god for trollies :thumbup:

post-14839-022371800 1298446452_thumb.jpg

When did they re-open the gates / access to that breakwall?

Awesome catch!!!!

that's a huge sambo at 85cm!!! and Bonnie too!!

Went there 1 week and they were shut but we were prepared. Had a couple of bikes and a lil trailer set up off the bike to carry all our gear. Lately most of the time the gates have been open but ive noticed its been a lil later on in the morning.

I was actually in Port Kembler today for work, brought the rods and tackle in the boot just in case i finished early.

Got there at 7.30 left for home at 8 :(

Was this inner harbor or the outer harbor breakwall?

To be honest i dont know if its the inner or outer but im sure someone here could tell u exactly. Bear in mind the opening and closing times of the gate. They arent sign posted but the earliest ive been there is bout a lil after 7am leaving by 5pm. Entry was fine then but then ive been there later on in the morning on a few occasions before where the gates were shut! :wacko:

To be honest i dont know if its the inner or outer but im sure someone here could tell u exactly. Bear in mind the opening and closing times of the gate. They arent sign posted but the earliest ive been there is bout a lil after 7am leaving by 5pm. Entry was fine then but then ive been there later on in the morning on a few occasions before where the gates were shut! :wacko:

can u still get in if the gates are closed somehow?