Weipa Fishing Trip

hookerbruce

This trip was so long ago I thought I should put it in chat instead of reports. So much happens

on a trip away this is very brief and rambling.

Each year 6 of us go to weipa stay in the campground a couple of days then head out on a

houseboat for a week. Last year it was the end of sept ended up costing us $1300 plus airfares each.

WE got on the boat and travelled about 25klm down the coast to Redcliffs beach for first night.

Next day we landed 15 barra off the beach and kept 4 to 70cm to eat. Couple of real big fish were

lost when they jumped one throwing the lure the other breaking the sp jig hook.

Then travelled down the coast to Boyds Bay for the next 4 nights.Fished offshore and along the beaches

and rocky outcrops. Between us managed 53 species, my tally 28. Caught all the usual fish spanaids,

long tails, cobia, queenies etc plus a multitude of fish from the beaches.

Best/most useful lure was the berkley 3" dropshot, it exactly matched the small baitfish and good for

barra, salmon, trevally, bream, flathead

40gm metal slugs caught longtails, spanaids, cobia and lots of things

100mm shallow divers seemed to work best in the rivers, creeks etc.

Qld fieheries checked us twice, second time to remind us the barra season was closing.

We had a great time, good fishing and gret scenery. I'm busy now organising next trip 22nd april easter.

and chasing up people, booking cars and accom etc.

Just eight weeks today.

My best spanaid from 8, a cobia at the side of the boat.

post-6756-066425800 1298542026_thumb.jpgpost-6756-065302600 1298542148_thumb.jpg

veiw from the mooring down the coast. a couple of barra from the beach

post-6756-016029200 1298542431_thumb.jpgpost-6756-096777700 1298542553_thumb.jpg

If you want any details send me a message.

Bruce

Add one more to your list for the 22nd of April - I'll pay cash :biggrin2:

That looks amazing, is the scenery nice around there? Is it isolated?

Hi Dave

Yes when we get down the coast we normally only see a few prawn trawlers or mackerael boats, and some

of the charter trips towards the middle of the day. In the mornings afternoons and night we have the place

almost to ourselves. This is all changing in the near future as they are going to expand the bauxite mines

down here and build a wharf and ship loader in the area.

Very lttle phone reception,(stand on one leg with left arm raised touching the alum canopy at 8:36 facing north)

Text messages get thru ok.

The scenery down the coast is great, I only take a cheapie camera so my images are only about phone quality.

Spend the evenings fishing off the back of the boat or hand feeding the groper and tawny nurse sharks. As the night

goes by and a few drinks the fish piece get smaller but no one has lost a finger yet.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

G'day Bruce,

I know this is a late response to your post but I also saw your other report in March calling for anyone interested to go on your upcoming Weipa trip in late April. That post is closed due a drop-kick making some silly remarks! So I'm responding to you via the older post. I am part of a crew that will be on the Tillimay from 1-7 May this year, which I think is the week after your trip. I was wanting to see if there was any way we could make contact either once you return the houseboat to Steve or maybe even while you are on it. I know the phone reception from the boat is almost non existant but even a text would be welocme just to get a report on what's happening.

This is our 3rd year there and while we had a blinder of a trip last year the first year was quiet at times, so I know it's important to get an idea of where the surface fish are feeding, especially given the distances up there and the less than startling speed of the houseboats!

At this stage we plan on doing something similar to your September trip and heading straight to Boyd Bay. The long tails, spaniards and GTs were all firing up that way last year, but of course that's not to say they'll be there this time! The bait balls were evident from Pera, Thud and off the Norman last year so findng the fish was easy once we knew what to look for.

I'm a newcomer as a member to the site (although I've been reading it for a while) so I'm not sure how to make direct contact with another member other than through an existing post. Anyway if you are happy to make contact can you let me know and we can exchange phone numbers. We are also staying in a cabin in the camping area for a couple of nights (29 & 30 April) before we get on board, so that may be a good time for a text or email.

Hope you have a good trip and catch a few arm-stretchers!

Cheers

Phil (I go under the log in of LuckyFil)

Phil

You can get hold of Bruce by sending him a Personal Message. Click on the link below:

Bruce

and there is a heading under his profile photo that says "send me a message". Click on that and type away. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Phil

You can get hold of Bruce by sending him a Personal Message. Click on the link below:

Bruce

and there is a heading under his profile photo that says "send me a message". Click on that and type away. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Hodgey

Great, thanks for that - I just sent Bruce the message.

By the way a great site and very well managed!

Cheers

Phil

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the report / story. Iam heading up in november. Leigh

Im headed up there in 2 weeks! can't wait! Its my second time up there and let me tell you, its worth the money!

WOW! I've been meaning to get up there myself, but everything seems to get in the way.

When is the best time of year to go?

Thanks

J H

Different times for different species. Generally speaking, the best times are;Late March- April/September-November