Giant Sea Turtle

tamrock

I've seen a small one snorkelling at maroubra once.

I also remember reading something in the Herald last year that there are a couple of spots in Sydney with resident turtles all year round.

Must be an indication of good/improving water quality, I reckon!

Just to add on to the turtle siting, about three weeks ago I watched a seal swim around Bear Island. Around the same time I also saw a penguin in the bay.

Not so surprising, when I was down at the slipway at North Malabar I saw a grey nurse shark of about 5-6 foot cruise past, about two metres from shore and in very shallow water. This was just after sunset, but it was still light and there were lots of people fishing nearby for squid. About 10 minutes prior I had myself been fishing for squid in thigh deep water in the path of the shark. I know they're not suppose to be dangerous, but are they really? I was happy to see it as it's the first real shark shaped shark I've seen in the water, i.e. not a Port Jackson etc.

Finally, at Yarra Bay beach the other night I saw a fishermen pull in this big ugly catfish. It looked like a eel-tailed catfish, but with a more human-like head. Reminded me of Rex Hunt. I've never seen one of those things caught in the Bay before.

I saw one a year or 2 ago in MH near Bantry Bay. I was hammering home on a very still day and saw one pop up in front of the boat. Quick turn to avoid him successful - thank god. He was probably medium size and i felt lucky to see him.

mike