Does this happen to anyone else?

mushtaka

Hey everyone!

I have been losing a few great fish lately!ranting2.gif

The reason I have been losing them is because my braid snaps. At first I thought I was bitten off by a shark but it seemed to be happening to often. After I lost a good fish tonight I look at where the line snapped and it was up on my main line, to far from where toothy critters could bite me off. I went to tie my bimni twist again to rig up and I found that just above my twist going up the braid the braid seems to untwist and some strands were even snapped!!! This is definitely where the weak spot is! It is brand new braid 30lb Power pro. Am I doing something wrong? It never happened when I did the same twist with other brands of braid???

Has anyone else had this problem with powerpro braid?

Thanks!

Mushtaka

Edited by mushtaka

Leatherjackets????

If you get tiny bits of bait (even the smell of bait) or algae or anything on the line and there are leatherjackets around - then they will have a go and they can cut cleaning through just about any line (even wire!!!)

Last weekend at Port Stephens we were struggling to bring livebaits up to the boat without them getting attacked and mutilated by the leatheries!!!

Hey guys, there are no cuts or scratches in my reel or guides. I can see the braid is weakened before i even cast into the water. It happens when i tie a bimni twist. Just above the bimni the braid seems to untwist and fray. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with Power pro braid?

Thanks!

Mushtaka

Hey guys, there are no cuts or scratches in my reel or guides. I can see the braid is weakened before i even cast into the water. It happens when i tie a bimni twist. Just above the bimni the braid seems to untwist and fray. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with Power pro braid?

Thanks!

Mushtaka

Thanks for the post Mushtaka, I have meaning to ask a similar question, so unfortunately I cant answer yours. I have brand new 50lb power pro braid (hasnt been out fishing) and was playing around measuring the drag settings with spring scales and found it to be breaking between 10 and 12 kg (22-25lb). I have since tested the line off the real and get a similar result. Sometimes it breaks at the swivel I had it tied to and others in the centre of the length of line (2-4m).

I then started testing other lines and got about 15kg out of 60lb black magic flourocarbon leader.I started to doubt the scales and started weighing things like fuel cans etc and they seem to be pretty close. I though maybe I was jerking the line as I was pulling the scales and suspended the weights under the line instead the result was still the same. So my questions are:

Should the line hold 50lb of dead weight which is what I thought the breaking strain meant.

Isn't braid suppose to be stronger than its claimed strength.

What is the best braid to swivel knot or should I attach a leader first.

I seemed to of developed a talent for finding ways of losing good fish and dont really want to add anymore to the list so your advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Edited by welst

Just sent you a P.M

This is very interesting!

Thanks for the post Mushtaka, I have meaning to ask a similar question, so unfortunately I cant answer yours. I have brand new 50lb power pro braid (hasnt been out fishing) and was playing around measuring the drag settings with spring scales and found it to be breaking between 10 and 12 kg (22-25lb). I have since tested the line off the real and get a similar result. Sometimes it breaks at the swivel I had it tied to and others in the centre of the length of line (2-4m).

I then started testing other lines and got about 15kg out of 60lb black magic flourocarbon leader.I started to doubt the scales and started weighing things like fuel cans etc and they seem to be pretty close. I though maybe I was jerking the line as I was pulling the scales and suspended the weights under the line instead the result was still the same. So my questions are:

Should the line hold 50lb of dead weight which is what I thought the breaking strain meant.

Isn't braid suppose to be stronger than its claimed strength.

What is the best braid to swivel knot or should I attach a leader first.

I seemed to of developed a talent for finding ways of losing good fish and dont really want to add anymore to the list so your advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

power pro has good knot strength . you dont need to tie a bimbi twist ,just use a uin knot with the braid doubled with 7 turns ,3 to 4 turns on the mono or fluro ,pull the knot up slow with plenty of lube ,never let me downand i dont give my kings much line, i like to pull there heads out of the water .

Edited by customcasting

hey just a thought r u buying your line from a well known auction site, cause if u r the line quality could be faulty.I only say this cause i bought sevral rolls of different sizes & all was faulty maybe u got the same ......

cheers john

Great post mus and very interesting! If your totally sure that it isnt your guides that is doin the damage then i reckon its Faulty power pro braid. Only few weeks ago a friend was headin to fuji for a fishing trip so we decieded to test his gear out and luckiy we did as his so called 50lb (red colour) braid was snapping at 6kg of pressure!! thinkin that his line was abit old we opened a new roll which we brought off the same seller and exact thing happen! lucky to hit 6kg of drag b4 she goes snap! We tested some rovex and varvavis braid which didnt hit there rating but did much better then power pro braid. :thumbdown:

I know what i WONT be buying from that aution site anymore.

Hey John! Funny you should say that....... Yes i did!!!ranting2.gif

I think there is a bad batch going around and they are flogging it off online. Funny though the packaging was perfect. Did the ones you buy break well under their Lb rating or was it something else?

Neil

hey just a thought r u buying your line from a well known auction site, cause if u r the line quality could be faulty.I only say this cause i bought sevral rolls of different sizes & all was faulty maybe u got the same ......

cheers john

I had this problem before. I wasn't using power pro, but it definitely happened when tying a bimini (braid would always snap right above the bimini). Recall there's a part of the knot where you pull it tight and all the twists rub against the braid. This is probably where your braid gets frayed.

Sadly I never did learn to tie the bimini without this happening. Instead I learned the FG knot which is thinner and stronger but not tying it properly results in the knot slipping off or unravelling. Good luck!

Thanks!

Mushtaka