Great fishing on the Hawkesbury

Chappo

Hi all,

Fished the Hawkesbury on Saturday and Sunday morning with 18 other keen fishos in an annual social fishing comp. I managed 11 Keeper flatties, 1 bream, 2 Bonito, 7 Mac Tuna and a heap of otner undersized whiting, flathead etc etc. Also landed some nice sand and blue swimmer crabs and squid. Nothing huge apart from an approx 80cm flathead job that decided it didn't want to get into the net despite four attempts. Great weekend. Thanks fellas. The Hawkesbury is firing. For those interested, we were up in Broken Bay and around Patonga, using white bait and prawns and some soft plastics(nothing special) The Bonito and Tuna were caught on blue laser 20 and 25 metal lures and spinning the surface. You have to watch the birds and see when they start circling. Get over to the spot before they land as they usually have picked where the bait fish are being rounbded up. This hepls being ready as soon as the boil starts. I pretty much told Arn (new Memeber ) how to fiish this area on his first post on Friday.

Chappoooooooooooooooooo

post-1767-065349600 1299497777_thumb.jpg

post-1767-086384000 1299497813_thumb.jpg

Hi, Good spotting. You are right. The ones with the spots are actually Watsons Leaping Bonito. I had a few of guys calling them Mackeral Tuna at the fish table and didnt think too much of it!

Chappoooooooo

Nice catch and a nice social(comp)outing. Love those flattie fillets.

The Mack Tuna look like Watsons Leaping Bonito to me. Usually school with the run of the mill bonnies.

Hi AJ. Yeah that was us in the little tinniey. Sorry about that....... If that was you on that chick pulling 60 foot cruiser, then it looked like you guys were in a for a great day. How did you go? Did you head outside? Pretty awesome boat from memory.

Chappo

Well done mate!

haha, when you mentioned blue metal it jogged my memory... I think my little baitfish lure got caught on yours on Sunday Morning :D

:1fishing1:

AJ

Nice catch Dude.

What's the funny looking one in the middle of the tabel, with you holding the fish. Don't tell me you are still defending champion!! I am definitely in for next year. Good luck this weekend I want all the details when you get back. I will give you a call in a couple of weeks about the 9th of April onwards.

Cheers,

BP.

Mate, This is the only comp of the year I go in that is detemined on weight up to bag limits (which personally I dont agree with but I dont run the comp). Usually we measure, photogragh and return (and keep a few to eat fresh). I have been out when trophy fish have been caught (including the flathead held up in the photo by fellow fishraider Brian). That big girl went straight back into the drink after a quick measure and photo.

All the fish were filleted and consumed fresh by the family and friends. The bonito were handed out for sushimi and I have kept a couple of slabs and salted them for bait.

Chappo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chappo

Great score mate. I'll be taking your 'birds' advice onboard when there. I hope to get east of Lion Is at least once as well, so if you have any pointers there they'd be greatly appreciated as well.

Cheers buddy!

Hi Arn,

Mate I dont get east of the island due to the size of my boat. Let us know how you go. Try and get your hands on some salted whitebait if you can.

Chappo

Hi Chappo

Great score mate. I'll be taking your 'birds' advice onboard when there. I hope to get east of Lion Is at least once as well, so if you have any pointers there they'd be greatly appreciated as well.

Cheers buddy!