Blackfish Rod Project

david88

post-10097-043839200 1300511996_thumb.jpgHey guys, i was at the markets grabbing a beach rod ($12 bargain!) when i saw a nice old blackfish rod sitting in the barrel. it is in decent condition howver most of the guides are looking like they are ready to come off and the finish looks a bit dodge. it looked to be about 15 ft, maybe more, had a ribbed timber butt, and the labeling on it said "PASTIME - Butterworth handmade Brisbane, LB/19.."

i was thinking it might be fun to grab it, rebuild and have an attempt at some of the balmain blackfish the propper way.

would anybody be able to tell me how much they think this rod would be worth (he wanted $35 which i thought might be a bit steep unless its a collectors) and if it would be relatively easy to re-guide and refinish?

Is it worth the effort? (it may sound greedy but i dont want to spend time and money rebuilding a rod that isnt worth much).

thanks for your help guys, cheers.

Edited by david88

g'day mate

i cant comment on the value of the rod, but i recently rebuild my old mans surf rod. It was a fun project and a good learning experience, but it was costly (both time and money)

i spent

$70ish on new guides

$12 for spray paint

$12 for spray varnish

$8 per spool of thread (i brought 2)

$16 for epoxy glue (which turned out to be the wrong one)

$20ish for the correct epoxy glue

so your looking at minium 100 bucks, not including redo-ing the grips or reel seat, plus the cost of the rod

It is pretty cool though, catching a fish on a rod you built yourself

g'day mate

i cant comment on the value of the rod, but i recently rebuild my old mans surf rod. It was a fun project and a good learning experience, but it was costly (both time and money)

i spent

$70ish on new guides

$12 for spray paint

$12 for spray varnish

$8 per spool of thread (i brought 2)

$16 for epoxy glue (which turned out to be the wrong one)

$20ish for the correct epoxy glue

so your looking at minium 100 bucks, not including redo-ing the grips or reel seat, plus the cost of the rod

It is pretty cool though, catching a fish on a rod you built yourself

Thanks mate, didnt realise guides were so expensive! on a rod like that i doubt id need amazing fuji guides though.

If anybody can offer me any information on this rod it would be greatly appreciated.

$70 on guides in aus, get guides from mudhole or acid rods set ya back for a set $30-50 for alconite's tops, cheaper for hard alloys which would probably do. can get cheaper thread $4 a spool, $15 for flex coat kit. everything else is optional. $5-10 postage. get away with costing ya anywhere from $50-100 tops including postage depending on how fancy ya wanna go

$70 on guides in aus, get guides from mudhole or acid rods set ya back for a set $30-50 for alconite's tops, cheaper for hard alloys which would probably do. can get cheaper thread $4 a spool, $15 for flex coat kit. everything else is optional. $5-10 postage. get away with costing ya anywhere from $50-100 tops including postage depending on how fancy ya wanna go

Great thanks man, i think i might grab this and start learning the dark art of luderick fishing. again if theres anybody out there who knows where i can find info or background on this rod a PM would be great.

Oh and if there is anyone who fishes for blackies around balmain anywhere and wouldnt mind teaching me the ropes it would be extremely helpful!

Luderick-angler is the is the man to talk to - a walking encyclopedia on Black Fishing & blackie rods & reels!!! Shoot a PM off to him

Also Luderick59 is well versed on Blackie gear! :biggrin2:

Roberta

Mate, if the cane has not split and there is no severe set in the cane (when you put it together it should be straight) and the label is in good nick $35 is a bargain get some good fujis should set you back $30 -$40 and go for a rebuild Len used to build those canes in his gargae at home and take them around the stores very nice rods, but they need care and love. If you want to talk about it PM me and I will give you my number so you can call it is easier to explain how to rebuild a good cane rod!

Definately worth restoring that rod the enjoyement and satisfaction you will get from useing a old classic rod you restored yourself beats purchasing a boring new one of the shelf with hypalon grips anytime.Just make sure you stick a centerpin on it when your finished ,black fishing is not blackfishing unless your useing a (pin) Good luck with your project.