Northern Beaches

wchh

After countless fishless trips to the Northern beaches in the last couple of weeks, persistence paid a bit dividend today. Fished Mona Vale for about one hour in vain, and then moved to Newport Beach. The gutter in Newport Beach looked nicer and I felt a bite within 3 minutes after the first cast. Getting consistent bite in the next 1.5 hours until 5:30PM all of sudden the bite switched off.

Total fish caught: a huge salmon (released) and 4 nice breams which came home with me.

Attached two pictures

Charles

post-11759-022401800 1301222102_thumb.jpg

post-11759-085946600 1301222115_thumb.jpg

Edited by ABCfisho

Congrats!! Persistence! Hooked?

:)

If I tell you I drive 50Km to get there and make minimum one trip a weekend and sometimes double trips, you will figure out easily :biggrin2:

cheers

Charles

Edited by ABCfisho

After countless fishless trips to the Northern beaches in the last couple of weeks, persistence paid a bit dividend today. Fished Mona Vale for about one hour in vain, and then moved to Newport Beach. The gutter in Newport Beach looked nicer and I felt a bite within 3 minutes after the first cast. Getting consistent bite in the next 1.5 hours until 5:30PM all of sudden the bite switched off.

Total fish caught: a huge salmon (released) and 4 nice breams which came home with me.

Attached two pictures

Charles

post-11759-022401800 1301222102_thumb.jpg

post-11759-085946600 1301222115_thumb.jpg

Nice Breambo's. The Salmon are slowly but surely appearing again on the beaches as the temp starts to drop, should see some better than average Tailor in the next few weeks / months too.

Cheers,

S.

Edited by spizza

Thought you might have been using worms or pipies, well done mate

I find pillies works best for me on the beaches. Last weekend I came across some fresh yellowtails in a fish shop and bought 4 of them, they worked too.

Charles

Hello ABCfisho,

great catch ! Sometimes it is hard to give up !!! :biggrin2:

What rig were you using ?

Where you fishing north,middle,south Newport ????

Where were you fishing at Mona Vale ???

:1fishing1: :1fishing1: :1fishing1:

A 12ft surf rod, single 3/0 hook and a star sinker.

When fishing on the beaches, my priority is not to tangle with the swimmers and surfers. I just found a place that had less people playing in the water.

Charles

thanks ABCFisho!

I was up on the northern beaches, and tried your rig. Hey Presto. 3 Bream in the bag. 33, 38, 39cm. Caught with half pillies (good ones!),# 3 hooks, and star sinkers.

:thumbup: I use half pillies for most of my fishing.

Edited by ABCfisho

A 12ft surf rod, single 3/0 hook and a star sinker.

When fishing on the beaches, my priority is not to tangle with the swimmers and surfers. I just found a place that had less people playing in the water.

Charles

Good catch mate.With the rig were you using a Paternoster Rig or a running sinker.Also what line class were you using.

Cheers steve

I was using a pretty heavy set-up in case of tailor.

7144 rod (~12 foot)

20lb line to a swivel - then about 40 cm of 60lb trace - then a snap swivel - and a star sinker. Running along the trace, I had a free-running swivel - with ~40 cm of 60 lb trace to #3 hook.

The half-pillie held on the hook with some of that very light nylon thread.

Earlier, I had been bitten off the same kind of set-up with 20lb trace, probably a tailor or small shark.

There was a fair swell, so I think the pillie was moving around ok in spite of the heavy trace.

I like having the sinker on a snap swivel - it makes it much easier to change weights and also to un-clip it altogether when walking to/from fishing spot.

Nice fish there mate. I loved fishing the northern beaches. Some of the best sand in the world. FYI I have recently been using a small spin outfit off the beach and live beach worms. I had real success for whiting and bream. That was at Forster but, one thing I noticed was I was using braid on my reel and the difference from mono was unreal. I have spent hundreds of hours surf fishing for jew and had some great catches of north curly in the past but, always had heavy mono. Using the braid was unreal. There was virtually no drag from the wave motion and every bite was felt straight away without mistake. Sometimes with the mono the wave action can fool you into thinking something is having a touch at your bait. Unless you are already using it give it a go and see if you think the same.

Good luck and tight lines. :biggrin2:

Brian.

Brian,

do you find the braid wears out quickly? The advice I generally heard is that braid and beach don't mix as the sand cuts little nicks out of the braid, and then when you have a big one on, the braid snaps. I've spent my money on better bait, rather than on braid, but I've also found it hard to feel the fish biting in any sort of a swell.

I agree, from the few times I've used braid at the beach, that it gives much better feel for whiting.

BB

Brian,

do you find the braid wears out quickly? The advice I generally heard is that braid and beach don't mix as the sand cuts little nicks out of the braid, and then when you have a big one on, the braid snaps. I've spent my money on better bait, rather than on braid, but I've also found it hard to feel the fish biting in any sort of a swell.

I agree, from the few times I've used braid at the beach, that it gives much better feel for whiting.

BB

Hi BB,

That's an interesting thought. I've only just started to use braid, as I am a slow convert from the conventional but, your thoughts about the sand may have credit. Does anyone else think the sand is no go with braid? If so I might just switch back as it too expensive to chew up in the sand.

Cheers,

Brian