Snapper sesh

Basil D

headed out again for a snapper sesh, Ali and a family friend went together with there Boat and me & Cungee George in another boat, Started early as usual and found the Snapper hard to find and had to work hard for them but one by one they added up to a healthy total ranging between 33cm & 43cm, end of the day we had 20 snapper, reefies about 10, once nice size cuttle fish, and flathead , on the way home we took a wrong turn and drove through a senic route stopped at a servo bought some junk food and our mate took another wrong turn and ended up back were we started :074: the Guy would not stop swearing from start of the day to worse as the wrong turn was taken, in the end me and George looked at each other and that was it :risata: :risata: :risata::chair: we had tears coming out our eyes and that wasn't making any easier to our Friend, he started swearing louder but it was too late, we couldnt breath in the end, I havent laughed like this in years.

we made another to stop to refuel and I think the lady as the servo thought were looneys as the coke zero went flying out of my mouth :risata: :risata:

More photos to come

Forgot to mention, Ali's Boat got ten snapper using plastics, so the total was 30 snapper.

post-8352-088604000 1301351181_thumb.jpg

post-8352-091481400 1301351190_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Got more photos basil but last night i went to sent you the photos and noticed that my phone was full of water in the screen, don't know how it happened. Got the phone in bits to dry out and hopefully retreive the photos. Was a good laugh yesterday, haven't had a laugh like that for a long time.

Can't wait for the colder months for the bigger reds.

put the phone into a bowl of uncooked rice and leave overnight

the rice will absorb all the moisture from the phone

Sounds like a fun day Basil.

Good feed of snapper too. :thumbup:

What bait were you using, and were you anchored or drifting?

Hope your phone is okay CG.

Cheers

Peter

Drifted all day and they took pillies, soft plastics didnt work that day and CG had fresh squid and landed the biggest one on it. :thumbup:

Top outside session Groper, Cungee George, Ali and company :thumbup: I am sure you and George would be taking gps marks for your ongoing snapper sessions as that is the only reliable way to do it apart from fishing known snapper grounds and using binoculars to seek out bird activity for your general trolling etc, along with sounding out structure and determining regular patterns for your bait gathering and squid sessions.

From what I've heard so far from George this Ali is certainly worth his weight in gold and if he is not already a member getting him to join up and participate in the site would certainly be sound advice as it is obvious that he is a pretty good fisherman who enjoys good company and is quite willing to share his knowledge with others.

Basil that was a top session overall and when George told me you would be launching at Bellambi on Monday in line with the first day of a dramatic change in the weather, I knew you would be in for a top day.

Off topic a little but I can't wait to do a serious night session at Juno Point with George and yourself and hopefully that can take place before my hips are replaced and I must say another boat or two accompanying us would be a real asset to the overall result - not that my giving out Juno as the Hawksebury change of tide venue at night for those jewfish schools that come into the river and go back out with the tide would make any significant increase to the number of boats anchored off Juno and Walker point for that matter hoping to strike the incoming schools that come into the mouth of the river as the run in tide starts to pick up and intermingle with the resident jewfish at this time of the year which has always been regarded as being the peak breeding period for Hawkesbury jewfish, remembering that the narrowness of the mouth of the river has always favoured the Juno pt side where the schools enter the system. It would have to be an overnighter i.e. prepare for a two tide session i.e. approx 16 hours of fishing - Flint and steel is currently producing waves of just about all estuary species in the early am and at prime times during the day but believe me Juno is the key to jewfish schools coming into the Hawkesbury in good numbers particularly when the weather churns up a bit- so better results on Juno jewfish often go hand in hand with an uncomfortable session- but believe me although it's been a few years since I spent a full night session at Juno Point exclusively Juno is the key to incoming jewfish schools in the Hawksebury.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Top outside session Groper, Cungee George, Ali and company :thumbup: I am sure you and George would be taking gps marks for your ongoing snapper sessions as that is the only reliable way to do it apart from fishing known snapper grounds and using binoculars to seek out bird activity for your general trolling etc, along with sounding out structure and determining regular patterns for your bait gathering and squid sessions.

From what I've heard so far from George this Ali is certainly worth his weight in gold and if he is not already a member getting him to join up and participate in the site would certainly be sound advice as it is obvious that he is a pretty good fisherman who enjoys good company and is quite willing to share his knowledge with others.

Basil that was a top session overall and when George told me you would be launching at Bellambi on Monday in line with the first day of a dramatic change in the weather, I knew you would be in for a top day.

Off topic a little but I can't wait to do a serious night session at Juno Point with George and yourself and hopefully that can take place before my hips are replaced and I must say another boat or two accompanying us would be a real asset to the overall result - not that my giving out Juno as the Hawksebury change of tide venue at night for those jewfish schools that come into the river and go back out with the tide would make any significant increase to the number of boats anchored off Juno and Walker point for that matter hoping to strike the incoming schools that come into the mouth of the river as the run in tide starts to pick up and intermingle with the resident jewfish at this time of the year which has always been regarded as being the peak breeding period for Hawkesbury jewfish, remembering that the narrowness of the mouth of the river has always favoured the Juno pt side where the schools enter the system. It would have to be an overnighter i.e. prepare for a two tide session i.e. approx 16 hours of fishing - Flint and steel is currently producing waves of just about all estuary species in the early am and at prime times during the day but believe me Juno is the key to jewfish schools coming into the Hawkesbury in good numbers particularly when the weather churns up a bit- so better results on Juno jewfish often go hand in hand with an uncomfortable session- but believe me although it's been a few years since I spent a full night session at Juno Point exclusively Juno is the key to incoming jewfish schools in the Hawksebury.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Great to hear from you Byron, hope your feeling ok.

yes Ive learned a lot from Ali and know of 4 snapper Grounds that we have fished with success, yes I have some in my gps and and some without marks but easy to find :thumbup:

Ali is a member who nickname is castwide, Top Bloke with Gun knowledge with many many species Including Jew fish, Snapper, Groper, Tuna and many more, Also his a Gun rock fisho who's been there done that and has shared much knowledge with me and George.

The fish are not exactly on yet But yes I knew it was rough for a week with a Great change of weather Monday permitting us to fish the area well as it would not have been fished for a week and they certainly love the rough swell and what its brings for them food wise etc.

Im up for 16 hour sesh when George is, would be great :yahoo:

headed out again for a snapper sesh, Ali and a family friend went together with there Boat and me & Cungee George in another boat, Started early as usual and found the Snapper hard to find and had to work hard for them but one by one they added up to a healthy total ranging between 33cm & 43cm, end of the day we had 20 snapper, reefies about 10, once nice size cuttle fish, and flathead , on the way home we took a wrong turn and drove through a senic route stopped at a servo bought some junk food and our mate took another wrong turn and ended up back were we started :074: the Guy would not stop swearing from start of the day to worse as the wrong turn was taken, in the end me and George looked at each other and that was it :risata: :risata: :risata::chair: we had tears coming out our eyes and that wasn't making any easier to our Friend, he started swearing louder but it was too late, we couldnt breath in the end, I havent laughed like this in years.

we made another to stop to refuel and I think the lady as the servo thought were looneys as the coke zero went flying out of my mouth :risata: :risata:

More photos to come

Forgot to mention, Ali's Boat got ten snapper using plastics, so the total was 30 snapper.

Nice catch of perfect size reddies,good to see the inshore reefs firing down there :thumbup:

chris.

Hey Basil,

You done it again !

You and snapper are best buddies now eh?

You are cetainly learning a thing or two from Ali.

So what waterway did you fish considering you got lost driving there?

Tony

Only get snapper like that at bellambi ,down south near stanwell park is my guess

you and Ali where using soft Plastics, was that the whole day.

you where in 40 meters water I believe and I will tell you where it was next time I see you :biggrin2: .

It was Lovely to meet you too :thumbup:

Edited by Groper

Only get snapper like that at bellambi ,down south near stanwell park is my guess

Def not Sydney :thumbup: try bellambi, shellharbour, kiama , port kembla ,Geringong, We have caught fish like this in all these areas . Edited by Groper

Ali is a member who nickname is castwide, Top Bloke with Gun knowledge with many many species Including Jew fish, Snapper, Groper, Tuna and many more, Also his a Gun rock fisho who's been there done that and has shared much knowledge with me and George.

Ali wouldn't happen to own/work in a tackle shop in Bexley would he?

More photos to come

Good effort mate. 20 reds is a healthy haul. I will keep an eye out for you now that you are fishing around the general area that we frequent chasing humpies. Our record fish so far is 5.7kg and 77cm caught near the bridge in about 30m ( on bait) Hoping to beat that soon. once again good effort.

pete.

Good effort mate. 20 reds is a healthy haul. I will keep an eye out for you now that you are fishing around the general area that we frequent chasing humpies. Our record fish so far is 5.7kg and 77cm caught near the bridge in about 30m ( on bait) Hoping to beat that soon. once again good effort.

pete.

it was very quite in that area that day and we got them between the bridge and the ramp in about 20 25 meters of water, sometimes you have to move around to find them.

What bait do use may I ask.

regards Basil

it was very quite in that area that day and we got them between the bridge and the ramp in about 20 25 meters of water, sometimes you have to move around to find them.

What bait do use may I ask.

regards Basil

Gday Basil,

I agree, you usually do need to move around to find them or alternatively anchor and try and bring them to you but as you know the wind and current conditions have to be on your side. I prefer to choose an area and anchor. I find this produces smaller numbers than drifting but bigger fish. I always try and get fresh flesh baits like yakkas and slimeys but believe it or not the humble pillie has scored some bruisers on many occasions. If i can get small yakkas they also work a treat live. Am looking forward to the winter snapper season this year as it is going to be the first one in 10 yrs that i will be here and not on holiday in Greece.