Big Blue

Mercer007

Hi Guys,

I went Bream and Pig fishing early Sunday morning to a fave rock ledge of mine.

I burlied hard for an hour or so before first ligh and was pleasently suprised when I saw a big blue groper swimming around.

Totally unprepared, I drop a whole prawn on a 1/0 french and hook up to a beast of a fish.

The fish ran hard towards an outer reef, then he turned and ran straight back at me.

With barely no swell I was able to manouver myself up and down the ledge to tire the fish out.

I washed him onto a lower ledge, jumped down and gilled him.

He was over 70cm and official weight was 7.8kg.

I've caught other groper, but this is my first over 3kg, and my first off the rocks.

Maybe COTM?

post-10077-033094100 1302597269_thumb.jpg post-10077-091902300 1302597291_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I burlied hard for an hour or so before first ligh and was pleasently suprised when I saw a big blue groper swimming around.

Totally unprepared, I drop a whole prawn on a 1/0 french and hook up to a beast of a fish.

The fish ran hard towards an outer reef, then he turned and ran straight back at me.

With barely no swell I was able to manouver myself up and down the ledge to tire the fish out.

I've caught other groper, but this is my first over 3kg, and my first off the rocks.

Maybe COTM?

post-10077-033094100 1302597269_thumb.jpg post-10077-091902300 1302597291_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the blue groper. Do they look a lighter blue in the water think I saw one the other week in port hacking about 50cm. Not sure but it looked similar except bright blue.

You're lucky you got him onto that ledge. Lifting 7.8kg out of the water any height would have been fun.

Top catch 007! :thumbup:

Definite COTM material!

Cheers

Peter

Mate that's a very meritorious capture.

A few things have to go your way to get a fish of that calibre out of the reef.

I have eaten groper before and they are one of the most delicious fish I have tasted.

I have also seen people nearly dragged in when they use 200lb fireline and 80lb trace....

It's a weird sight seeing a grown man with his arms around the waist of another grown man whose bent over forward by a big rampaging fish.

You have to take a moment to move away from the "view from behind" to get a "view from the side" to see what's really going on....

Then you breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy the spectacle...

Bon apetit....

Hi Guys,

Maybe COTM?

Great catch,very rewarding effort to land a fish of that quality off the rocks.

WELL done,ENJOY :thumbup:

Fantastic Effort Pete,

Congrats on catching such a fine fish and I am guessing a new PB for you most people get busted by fish like that

It shows that you are quite skillful to land such a beast well deserved and enjoy the feed!!!!

Definitely worth COTM that fight would have been one to remember!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Guys,

Maybe COTM?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Groper, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, top catch

I have been led to believe that you cant keep Blue Grouper as they are a threatened species?

Or is this Greenie BS?

Here is the link to the size and bag limit rules for NSW:

Limits

From that site:

Groper (Blue, Brown, Red)

Mimimum length 30cm

only 1 over 60cm

2 in total

to be caught by line only

Great Bluey Pete, thats a stonker! :yahoo::1yikes:

havent see one like that big since I was a wee tacker up the Nth Coast- my grandfather used to get them from Harrington breakwall up to 2/3kg and they are fantastic on the place.

Tight lines mate

Anthony

:D

Why you thanking Mako for it was Hodgey that helped you out?

Cheers

Musty

Hi Newbie Al,

The word "Mako" is a rank, ie it means that person has posted over a certain number of posts.

The word "Hodgey" is the name the person is using on the website.

So Hodgey has a rank of Mako...

Get it?

Tony

I took a french mate of mine out and his brother earlier in summer. He caught a nice blue groper, very big, and decided to keep as the older frenchman is a chef, and had heard good things.

I am not sure how they cooked it, but said it was very fatty. (coming from a french chef, that is a laugh) any suggestions on cooking styles?

The other funny thing, well i think it was funny..... When i dropped them off at Watsons bay wharf, there were about 300 people lined up for the ferry, and they are carrying this huge groper, so as i drive off i yelled out that i would drop their spear guns over later on. i kept a straight face and drove off. Now i can assure everyone we caught this one, with bait on a TLD. but the crowd gave the boys a few dirty looks at first, until junior french advised i was an idiot and pointed at me laughing in the distance.

He's French, and I have Red hair. What could i do?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Groper, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, top catch

Are you serious? Groper are not a tasty fish.

I would take 10 pigs over a 7kg groper. nice catch though mate

Edited by Blood Knot
Rule 13

Are you serious? Groper are not a tasty fish.

I would take 10 pigs over a 7kg groper. nice catch though mate

Hi Nikon,

Everybody has different taste buds.

Some people love eating stripeys, silver morwong, pike, sweep, sargeant bakers, sting rays, eels, you name it.

Others don't.

I think pigs and gropers are both very tasty, but once they get bigger, both species do get a bit course and lose some flavour.

In my estimation, both species are about equal, but others will disagee.

I reckon blackfish and rock cale taste very similar in most cases but most people wouldn't be caught dead with a rock cale (cocky).

Horses for courses (or should I say fishes for dishes....).

Tony