Removal Of South Creek Causeway At St Marys

The removal of a disused causeway, on South Creek at St Marys, will open up 34 kilometres of fresh water habitat for native fish in the area and improve water flow.

The project is being managed by the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and has been funded by the Environmental Trust and the Penrith City Council.

Craig Copeland, Program Manager, Aquatic Habitat Rehabilitation, NSW DPI, says the road crossing is acting as a barrier to the movement of fish.

“Physical barriers such as weirs and causeways have the potential to stop fish and other aquatic organisms from moving along the stream channel. This can lead to the isolation of populations, reduced breeding success and impact on the sustainability of fish populations.

“Removing this structure will be particularly beneficial for local species such as Australian bass and freshwater herring because they migrate between fresh and saltwater to spawn.

The structure was once used for vehicle access across South Creek, but is no longer necessary as a bridge is now located directly down stream.

“On behalf of the fish of the Hawkesbury/Nepean catchment I must congratulate the Council for recognising the need to restore the natural water flow and agreeing to remove the disused road crossing,” Mr Copeland said.

A number of groups including the local aboriginal Land Council and Greening Australia were consulted about the removal and all agreed with the decision to reinstate fish passage.

It will take around three days to remove the structure completely, after which the site will be revegetated.

Guest Jocool

Sounds like a good move, but perhaps the flush would have helped too! But now, due to water restrictions, the flush of the Nepean/Hawkesbury has been shelved! :thumbdown: And they are saying the Salivinia will be back next summer as well! :badair:

Some other good news...Did anyone read in the Tele' yesterday about the fish ladders proposed for the upper Parra'? This may be the start of a good thing for the Western Suburbs.

Could you imagine going to work at Seven Hills, stopping on the way home just on dusk at Toongabbie Creek, or any of the creeks up that way, and catching a couple of horse Bass! :1naughty: Sounds good to me! :1clap:

About 18 or 19years ago when I was a member of Bass Sydney (it might have been called Sydney Bass then?) the club was trying to get rid of those weirs(?sp) 20 yrs of lobbying.......

It is great news.

Cheers

Treble

Guest Jocool
fishing toongabbie creek oh i would love that i pass it like 4 times a day

50038[/snapback]

Notice how high the water level is at the mo? Imagine if wild Bass could swim up there without the hinderance of a wier. Wouldn't be something? :thumbup:

Wanna know what was funny is that when we passed it today i was looking at it going gees that could hold some fish how good would it be if you cold just throw in a line. You see i'm always in the passenger seat so i can't think about these things :1prop:

good news indeed! there are many many hundreds of weirs and other flow stopping devices in the Sydney Region alone. From the Nepean Dam down to the Hawksburry itself I think there at at least 11 weirs!! Imagine the amount of fish that would get through both up and done shoudl they be removed. The Govt while slow moving does seem to have a decent plan in regard to impedence removals

Chris

Some other good news...Did anyone read in the Tele' yesterday about the fish ladders proposed for the upper Parra'? This may be the start of a good thing for the Western Suburbs.

Could you imagine going to work at Seven Hills, stopping on the way home just on dusk at Toongabbie Creek, or any of the creeks up that way, and catching a couple of horse Bass! :1naughty: Sounds good to me! :1clap:

50004[/snapback]

Is it worth putting the Parramatta fish ladders under a new topic heading/thread? I'm a new member so not quite sure of how to start a new topic or if it would be appropriate for a new member. I imagine that there will be some members with no interest in South creek but an interest in Parramatta River.

From the newspaper article it looks like Parramatta Council is undertaking to do what I see as very positive work ie build four fish ladders. Its not a totally new concept in Sydney and the upper Georges River I believe now has more bass in it after (I think bass sydney helped) get a fishway built at Liverpool . not saying the bass are thick but there are some - any locals back me up?

There is some great looking habitat in the park above the second weir at Parra (Parramatta Park?). Deep water and lots of lillypads that reminds me of habitat up on the north coast from which more than the occasional "horse" bass has been tempted. At parramatta presently it is much more likely to be carp lurking under the lillys. Haven't seen much of the creeks higher up but sounds like they will support fish.

I'm sure the fish laddders will come under criticism from some - councils are political bodies and not everyone fishes. My understanding is that some fishways can be relatively cheap but higher barriers like that second 3 metre + weir are likely to cost significant amounts (that is measured in Hundreds of Thousands of dollars not tens). Though with the rate base of Parramatta and the potential benefits perhaps this is insignificant compared to how much is spent on other infrastructure.

I'm sure my political views are not the same as everyones. I would be interested in reading members opinions on the fishway annoucement are and seeing if they change over time particularly as more details become available. Personally I hope Parra Council gets some positive feedback from their announcement. Anyway is it worth starting a new thread so the title matches the content?

Happy fishing

Guest Jocool
Is it worth putting the Parramatta fish ladders under a new topic heading/thread? I'm a new member so not quite sure of how to start a new topic or if it would be appropriate for a new member.

51278[/snapback]

More than appropriate to start a new thread mate. :thumbup: Thats what the forums are all about. :biggrin2:

You have made a couple of good points, and if you want to elaborate in a new thread...go right ahead. All you have to do is click on the button on the top right of this page which says New Topic.

And welcome to the site. :thumbup:

Edited by Jocool