Sydney Harbour on Weekend

PRED-ATOR

Hey Raiders,

Fixed the boat motor during the week, all this time thought it was the starter motor but i pulled it apart and it was the corrosion on covered battery terminals and replaced the solonoid (just incase). I really should have done this earlier but been to busy!

Headed out at 4:30am landed at gladesville bridge boat ramp, was the only one there.

Weather was calm in the morning

Putted out of gladesville and past the harbour bridge and then gunned it to some yakka and squid spots. Managed only 8 squid and about 4 yakkas. Loaded them into the livewell and dropped some down for Kingies, first at middlehead and then north heas. Not even a touch.

Trolled the headlands with surface and deep divers but no luck.

So went to my snapper spot, hopefully get some good reds.

Wind picked up and so did the chop. There was also a really strong current on both ends of the tide, my anchor got dragged so long before it caught, i had to do it a few times do stay near the fish.

Burleyed with home made burley mix and was using soft plastics, halco twisty and baits.

Managed approx 35 snapper only 2 of legal size, but still let them go, caught heaps over silver trevally over 30. They are everywhere in huge schools.

Caught 11 bream all of around 27cm, i kept 2 of them and also caught 2 spotted mackerel on the halco twisty and on the gulp jerk shad in the nuclear chicken.

Most of my soft plastics were destroyed by the snapper, they are only good for 3 casts before all you pull up is a jighead lol.

But i have noticed you get the bigger snapper on the plastics.

I caught the spotted mackerel on 4lb gear as with the bream, was great fun.

I put some of the fish on my new brag mat (although not brag mat worthy, i didnt want to handle the trevally as they have alot of slime which i do not want to disturb, plus i dont want my boat carpet to get dirty lol)

For the whole day on the harbour i got NO KINGS : (

Please see pics attached

post-16847-076042200 1303092838_thumb.jpg

post-16847-001179500 1303092852_thumb.jpg

post-16847-051633000 1303092863_thumb.jpg

post-16847-010356800 1303092875_thumb.jpg

post-16847-045654600 1303092891_thumb.jpg

Shame no kings PRED-ATOR, but seems like you got plenty of action just the same, and in not the best weather conditions too.

I reckon it's a good sign seeing all those small snapper.

Thanks for the report. :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

PS The spotted mackerel is actually a Watson's Leaping Bonito

I knew it!! i showed my mate the pics and he kept saying spotted mack. And looking in the fishing book it looks so much like a spotted mack and it fought like a mackerel aswell taking huge runs on the surface and not diving much. I called it for a watsons but my mate insisted and eventually convinced me of otherwise lol.

Thanks for clearing it up fellas, the bonito seem to still be in force, great fun on light tackle.

Going out again hopefully this week, anyone else heading out?

Cheers

You might find that the munched up plastics were the result of attacks from the dreaded leatherjackets.

Kel

Hey kel,

The soft plastics were getting hammered by the snapper this time. I put the underwater camera in and watch them destroy it lol. They definately catch larger snapper though especially in schooling situations.

Nice Stan. Did you manage to take some under water video? If yes, can you please upload :D

Unfortunately not mate. It was my mates underwater camera, we always use it just to see whats around, will definately put it on next time a fish is on. Going to be heading out the harbour next week also and hopefully offshore if the weather permits and my gps is reconfigured. I will be on channel 86.

All the best over weekend : )

What a great report good to hear the trevally have started to show in numbers as i love targeting them on plastics great fun & that the bream are thick you cant complain about that.I bet you get the kings next time.

Nice watons mate seems to be more and more in the harbour each year

last season they were very thick around georges head.

Just to let you know a spotted mac is not a watsons two different species all together

ive caught alot of watsons and alot of spotties to know the difference

and what you have is a watsons a spotty looks totally different more like a spanish in shape

and a much longer body then a watsons

cheers

Edited by OUTFISHER

Thanks for all the comments guys, any of you blokes heading out to the harbour next weekend? provided i get my gps fixed i will be heading offshore.

If not i might just keep it in the harbour, theres still plenty of action. I heard hawkesbury is firing up so might try there instead.

Happy easter everyone! last day of work WOOOHHOOOOOO

Thanks for all the comments guys, any of you blokes heading out to the harbour next weekend? provided i get my gps fixed i will be heading offshore.

If not i might just keep it in the harbour, theres still plenty of action. I heard hawkesbury is firing up so might try there instead.

Happy easter everyone! last day of work WOOOHHOOOOOO

looks like you can't take me out for tailor at maroubra anymore Stan. haha.