Bream, everything you would like to share.

leonardgid

Hello Chaps, Talk to anyone that goes fishing around Sydney and just about everyone loves to catch them, most of us can catch a good feed of them when they are running , but come winter you can waste allot of time looking for them using everything and end up coming home without even a bite, im not asking anyone to name your favorite spots , anything that you would like to share that might come in handy such as baits, tackle , rigs, tides , times, shallow or deep water, winter or summer. what are the best times for river, bay, rocks, or surf? ETC thank you all.

Some people will dissagree but this is how i spend the last hour of a day if i havnt caught a feed.

dont want to say exact spots but anywhere in the harbour known to hold kingfish, fish moving tide, berley hard and CONTINUOUS, drift big strips of tailor or fresh squid down with only a little pea sinker, small hook and 6lb fluoro. strike on any bite. let any BIG ones go because they arent very good eating and are important to our fish stocks and cut off any hooks that are swallowed by undersize fish rather then ripping their throat out.

hi mate.

Try strips of bonito you (or a mate) caught during the season, normal bream rig (simple sinker/swiv/#1 or 2 hook).

of course fresh bonnie is best but salted/frozen goes alright too.

each side of top of tide where i fish.

good luck mate, and don't over cook them, my opinion is they are best still just that bit sticky to the frame i.e. 'pink' at the bone.

Hey mate,

I seem to catch more bream during winter. Mainly on baits that is. There are alot of undersize bream but there are also some big ones around. Some of my favourite spots are the roseville bridge with prawns, squid or mullet. Bobbin Head with fresh prawns and mullet. Stokes point in pittwater with mullet or bonito and i find most wharves hold the greatest number of fish in the cooler months.

Winter I use to find less numbers but better quality of fish.

Summer I use to throw topwater, winter is blade time.

Deeper usually fishes better as water is more stable in temp.

Places like marina walls and boat moorings were my favs.

Another good place to try is the washes near the ocean. They usually run to sea to breed during the cooler so you might find some numbers there.

Greg

All year round I get lots of big Breambo's

All on unweighted mullet strips on rising tide or just after turn of tide or on chicken breast and occasionally on yakka strips when I have them

Berley is essential (bread and chook pellets works best IMHO)

tip- fish close to cover and structure- bnest spots and old abandoned wharves the like to hide among the oysters covering those types of structure- the closer you can get to the structure the better your chances!

Ive been catching bream to 45cm often for last 18months- with late autumn and early spring the best times- but winter bream are fatter, go harder and are more spirited fight on light gear! ... and the great things is winter means less crowds @ ya favourite spot- thast is unless you have found one of them nice secluded spots then it dont matter they are there all year round!

Good luck mate

Anthony

:D

Hello Chaps, Talk to anyone that goes fishing around Sydney and just about everyone loves to catch them, most of us can catch a good feed of them when they are running , but come winter you can waste allot of time looking for them using everything and end up coming home without even a bite, im not asking anyone to name your favorite spots , anything that you would like to share that might come in handy such as baits, tackle , rigs, tides , times, shallow or deep water, winter or summer. what are the best times for river, bay, rocks, or surf? ETC thank you all.

i caught hips of big bream on winter specially on low tide while fishing for jewie at kissing point wharf . the best bream fishing for me is winter , i caught them on live yellowtail , yellowtail fillets , fresh frozen squid . i normally fish at the start of 5pm till 3am in the morning

cheers bangus

Eh,

Target the river mouths in autumn, or near structure, moored boats ....

Last few hours of the run out tide, coinciding with early morning or evening.

Burley, is essential, constant uninterupted stream.

use the smallest line and sinker possible,

cheers.

there are some big bream around in winter however they are usually in less numbers. try fishing around the wharves and structures up in blackwattle bay,the water police wharf holds plenty (not sure what bay that is). Burley is essential bread works quite well as there is very little current in this area and fish with a small pea sinker on the hook with a peeled prawn.

hope this helps.

pete.

My lil 16 year old brother caught a 40 cm bream at lugarno wharf on a small crab on a suicide. Cant explain much logic behind except baits with shells are good for keeping the bait pickers off, eg pipi's and crabs, I saw it on one of my fav fishing shows.

Me however when ever I do not want to catch a bream, ill catch legals, and its usually during the bait gathering process, either for mullets or yakkas, usually its done on bread unweighted or extremely small snap sinkers, but have had the occasional on strips of pillies, but might just be luck.

Edited by Rafinx