North Head Sat

Beaver

Hi Guys

Just a quick report. Braved the swell sat and anchored up off North head. Sent out a half pille and hooked a 60cm salmon nearly straight away, released him. Had live yakkas out too and got a 50cm rat on my heavy gear which was overkill. Had a few floating baits out for trevally as there have been a few around lately, got 2 decent ones to 38cm on floating peeled prawns on my light rod (15lb), not long after my light rod with the prawn buckled over and went screaming, managed to turn it before it reefed me and got it near the boat, then another long run, followed by another etc etc, finally got it in the boat and measured it turned out to be a legal around 68cm so kept him. Got a few more salmon on our yakkas which we released again, then caught this weird fish on a half pilchard. Not sure what it is any ideas, similar to a long tom?

Long tom? but its striped (ps blood is from one of the salmon that was deep hooked not this fish)

post-3646-093880900 1304904076_thumb.jpg

Legal king

post-3646-023877800 1304904161_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Beaver

nice day out. well done.

it is a long tom. we get a few different species in sydney. You often find very large schools of this type on the inshore grounds, sometimes literally hundreds of them. If you find the small ones they can make a good livebait for big kings, tuna etc.

nice day out. well done.

it is a long tom. we get a few different species in sydney. You often find very large schools of this type on the inshore grounds, sometimes literally hundreds of them. If you find the small ones they can make a good livebait for big kings, tuna etc.

Ah yes thought it might have been another species of long tom, the photos I saw of long tom had no stripes but a similar body. Thanks!

LOL that about the heaviest rod I have (but never had luck with kingies)

Seems you had a good day. Well done.

Haha yeah meant to say 15lb mono line, rods about 3-4kg, light enough to have a good bend in it!

I call them Alligator Gar "Tylosurus gavialoides" not that uncommon with all the warm water thats been around this year, but a bugger to stay connect to.

Good work Beaver on staying connected. :)

Ohh. they are a more of a Oceanic Species than a Estuary type.

Edited by Blackfish

I call them Alligator Gar "Tylosurus gavialoides" not that uncommon with all the warm water thats been around this year, but a bugger to stay connect to.

Good work Beaver on staying connected. :)

Ohh. they are a more of a Oceanic Species than a Estuary type.

Never forget an episode I had once with a long tom. Was spearing years ago at Lobster Bay (Currarong) and as came in shallow saw a big long tom (maybe 70-80cm) on surface near me. Took a shot with hand spear, got him but he got off. Next thing he kept charging towards me, stop maybe a metre away and bare his impressive fangs. Did it 2 or 3 times before I managed to spear him properly. Was very yummy to eat, weird though had green bones