sound proofing outboard

fishon

hey guys i got a 2008 model 40hp lightning xr and it has no sound proofing in the cowling

and i dont think it ever has it only has 18hours on it and ive done 14 of them and by a visual doesnt look like anythings been removed or glue or anything like that

after a while it gets quite loud

just wandering what would be the right material for the job

like temperature wise

cheers guys

awesome obey just wandering if there will be enough room in there and like there must of been a reason

they didnt put it in there

mmmm curiosity

thanks mate

went down to bias they had stuff for engine boxes but said it really wouldnt suit an outboard cowling

any other ideas

i know you can get spray on stuff but people reckon its pretty messy and gets flaky and stuff

cheers

Perhaps Try that ( C...K rubber) shop , I am sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.They seam to have foam/rubber to suit for all occasions.

yeah saw some on the bay

5mm thick which should be good with heat tolerances up to 160 c

should be ok but the only thing is the motor cost me a packet

and would want it to catch on fire or anything

but it wouldnt get anywhere near 160c

just wandering has anybody else had the same dilemma

and how did it go

like its not a must do but would be nice to lower the dbs

Don`t want to sound a smart -------, but I used ear muffs on my boat to deafen the noise.

Worked real well. Just a thought you might consider. I know what you mean by the noise.

hahah yeah was thinkn the same thing mate just get some earplugs from work

think im gona get this other stuff i dont really reckon it would damage the motor

i hope not anyway haha

yeah you can do it i got my material from a foam place that has i think 2 shops ,not cheap though $45.oo to do a 90 merc ,dont know why your merc xr has not got any guessing to keep costs down in that donk

yeah you can do it i got my material from a foam place that has i think 2 shops ,not cheap though $45.oo to do a 90 merc ,dont know why your merc xr has not got any guessing to keep costs down in that donk

thats what i was wandering is there a reason for it?

did your 90 merc have it from factory or?

did you just replace it?

cheers mate

hi fishon i have done a 90 and a 60 merc and yes both had original sound proofing in them ,im guessing but i think the xr lightnings are entry level outboards to suit boat and trailer packages to keep the package price down to a minimum ,cheers dunc333

hi fishon i have done a 90 and a 60 merc and yes both had original sound proofing in them ,im guessing but i think the xr lightnings are entry level outboards to suit boat and trailer packages to keep the package price down to a minimum ,cheers dunc333

mmmmmmm yeah must be something like that i reckon

hi fishon i checked the merc schmetics for your donk and no they dont have any sound proofing fitted at factory,if you do do it yourself just make sure you dont cover airintake area.

mate just wack your ipod in your ears works a treat for me :thumbup:

i got a genuine merc cover for my motor the tight fitting ones that you can tow with etc

that might dampen the sound a bit im hoping its not that loud at the start of the day but buy the end like 6-8 hours later just shits ya a bit

cheers fellas

ps dunc where did you get the shemetic?

Edited by fishon