Yakka Tactics!

rjc123

Hey Raiders! Catching live bait is a big part of our fishing these days! At times it can be easy and at times it can be hard! I have based this on another post about jewfish! Share your tricks (rigs, bait, burley) on how to catch them and even fish them for bigger predators. I have only just got into yakka fishing and have managed 7 in hard conditions in the last week! I hope to start to catch kingies and jews on them so comment and share your knowledge on how to catch these little wonders!

Edited by mack attack 79

burley with bread and or fish pieces, 6lb handline with size 6-8 hook, i small split shot crimped about 6in up the line.

for bait use yellowtail strips,squid or anything really. but if using pilchards try the stomach its pretty tough and lasts for a few fish.

throw out about 3-4 meters of line and adjust length according to depth or numbers of fish seen.:1fishing1:

Interestingly enough i use cat food a bit for them. I caught a yakka, trev and snapper this morning on catfood with a size 8 hook and small splitshot! I tried a recommended berley yesterday that consisted of Catfood, pilchard, bread and fish oil mixed in a blender. Looked hideous but the fish came on the bite the second it hit the water. Strong scent!

burley with bread and or fish pieces, 6lb handline with size 6-8 hook, i small split shot crimped about 6in up the line.

for bait use yellowtail strips,squid or anything really. but if using pilchards try the stomach its pretty tough and lasts for a few fish.

throw out about 3-4 meters of line and adjust length according to depth or numbers of fish seen.:1fishing1:

I caught a few big yellowtail yesterday and kept em for strip baits. Would a yakka eat a small piece of itself or is there something that turns them off it?

I have caught Yakkas before on tiny Yakka strips/fillets :thumbup:

Give it a shot.

Sounds like a great burley trailing you got going :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Mike

It does the trick mate! I found that slimey mackerel wont eat slimey mackerel though. Tried with pili on on eline and slimie bit on the other. Got 5 on pili and the slimey was not even touched! strange..

Me and wher'd all the fish go always use the chicken pellets mixed in water with some tuna oil and bread to raise the yakkas. I use a bit of peeled prawn on a no 6 long shank. Usually get a few bream as well as a by catch.

I don't use bait jigs as they always seem to tangle and end up throwin them away. Lead size will depend on current and swell.

Cheers

Me and wher'd all the fish go always use the chicken pellets mixed in water with some tuna oil and bread to raise the yakkas. I use a bit of peeled prawn on a no 6 long shank. Usually get a few bream as well as a by catch.

I don't use bait jigs as they always seem to tangle and end up throwin them away. Lead size will depend on current and swell.

Cheers

Ive tried those pellets but they seem to sink a bit too fast! i got a few bream that were just undersize aswell when fishing for them. Its amazing that next to Balmoral wharf at low tide when the water is about 3 meters deep that you can pull out 3 different species on cat food in 3 casts! Very healthy system!!

Ive tried those pellets but they seem to sink a bit too fast! i got a few bream that were just undersize aswell when fishing for them. Its amazing that next to Balmoral wharf at low tide when the water is about 3 meters deep that you can pull out 3 different species on cat food in 3 casts! Very healthy system!!

Mate the good thing about pellets is if you want a fine mix just mix in more water.Also what we do is half fill a 3lt milk container with them,tie on some chain{to help it sink} and rope, stab a few holes in the bottle and hang it over ths side at the depth you want.If you want a faster rush just give the rope a couple of yanks.

Regards Stu.

I don't use bait jigs as they always seem to tangle and end up throwin them away.

To keep bait jigs from tangling there are a few things you can do.

the first is to cut a normal bait jig (6x hooks) into 3 and you will find it much more managable.

The second thing is to make sure you hold onto the sinker while someone else takes the yakka's off the hook.

The third is to use a sabiki jig rod if your problems are tanges away from actually catching the yakkas, like geting tangled with other rods in your car etc.

I personally no longer use pilchards or any other bait for yakkas apart from bread. Makes for less to clean up and doesnt leave you with stinky bait hands. I find if the yakka's are there, there is simply no need. Just make sure you get fresh white bread. Not mulitgrain or rye or wholemeal just fresh full of sugar white bread! get one or 2 pieces and rub them between your hands into really small crumbs and watch them come swiming in.

I prefer to only fish with single hooks on handlines as i like to strike my yakkers rather than let them hook them selves because the bread doesnt stay on the hook like squid does and also i get less tangles.

hope that helps

Handy tip bro, use Salted pillies...they stay on the hook well and its more effective than using yellowtail to catch yellowtail, it does work but salted pillie IMO works a hell of alot better. Ive also noticed they work alot better then the normal frozen pillies as they dont fall off the hook easy and they have more oil that scent the water, match this bait with a bait jig on a light rod or handline and aslong as your in the right place you should be sweet.

Also berley is very important but by the sounds of it your berley you have going is perfect.

Good luck with it bud, pm me if you need more help, I can even come out with you and show you how sometime your going next as I need to stock up on some bait myself and would be good fun to go out with someone else instead on my own.

Cheers,

jez

Handy tip bro, use Salted pillies...they stay on the hook well and its more effective than using yellowtail to catch yellowtail, it does work but salted pillie IMO works a hell of alot better. Ive also noticed they work alot better then the normal frozen pillies as they dont fall off the hook easy and they have more oil that scent the water, match this bait with a bait jig on a light rod or handline and aslong as your in the right place you should be sweet.

Also berley is very important but by the sounds of it your berley you have going is perfect.

Good luck with it bud, pm me if you need more help, I can even come out with you and show you how sometime your going next as I need to stock up on some bait myself and would be good fun to go out with someone else instead on my own.

Cheers,

jez

Yeh, thanks mate. ill try salted next time!

Catching Yakkas Frustrates Me from time to time as some days I find them easier to come by and other days they are harder.

You Definately need to burley them up and I have had most of my sucess with pillies, salted are better if the current is strong as you lose the bait before even getting a bite.

But what I can say Is I used to always see a old man when I used to fish the hacking and he used to mix mince with flour and use bait jigs and he would always get a good bag each time I seen him there... Maybe we should have a Yakka Social lol!!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

i personally have never been in a situation in sydney where a bait jig has outfished a single hook with either tiny splitshot or glow beard. even if you do get multiple hookups it takes much longer to get them off, get them untagled, rebait etc than a single hook.

i personally have never been in a situation in sydney where a bait jig has outfished a single hook with either tiny splitshot or glow beard. even if you do get multiple hookups it takes much longer to get them off, get them untagled, rebait etc than a single hook.

Agree aswell, i fish with one hook and not only do i get yakkas, i get the odd flounder, leatherjacket, trevally, snapper, bream and flattie! with a jig you will jig it up and down and not have the chance of hoking as many fish!

• 4 years later...

Interestingly enough i use cat food a bit for them. I caught a yakka, trev and snapper this morning on catfood with a size 8 hook and small splitshot! I tried a recommended berley yesterday that consisted of Catfood, pilchard, bread and fish oil mixed in a blender. Looked hideous but the fish came on the bite the second it hit the water. Strong scent!

Mind sharing what type of catfood and how you would hook it? I fancy going for a few yakkas using this method!

My favorite bait for yakkas is minced beef. It does not stay long but you catch yakkas quick so it does bot matter. Also as the fish picks the bait it also acts as burley. You can mix with flour to make it sticky and stay better on the hook.

Best is a handline with a swivel that is enough weight so no need for sinker. Or I would use a small rod with a very light line and a splitshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the best bait for yakkas is chicken fillet. I just trim less nice bits from fillets before cooking and freeze them for bait as you don't need much. Tougher than prawn and when fishing Yowie Bay at night for bait I get bycatch of mullet when burlying with bread.

I only use chook pellets when fishing from my boat. I have made a pellet dispenser from PVC tobe with holes smaller than pellet so only fine mist leaks out when pellets break down.

I use quite simple tactics when gathering "yakka's" for live bait.

1. crumple up some bread and throw in, in small handfuls, to get them yellowtail around.

2. small hook - size 12 and no sinker

3. small bait, about half the size of a 5 cent piece. I usually use servo prawns or bread

Thats all I do. Sometimes it is tough going, but not very often. Usually take about 15 minutes to get 6-10 baits