first trip to the shelf

brickman

just a quick report raiders we went wide to day started at 5.00am headed to the twelve mile set the spread and headed to the shelf it was a great run out to 12mile and then it started to blow and got worse the further we got out once at the 700foot mark we headed north till avalon for zip not even a stripy i had a gut full by then off getting thrown around so we headed to a spot that we had caught marlin at in summer worked a flock off ganets to no avale even cubed what ever they were following but no luck so we started the long slug home head on into a westelychop the only highlight was near our marlin mark the eggbeater started to scream to my surprise it was a marlin woohoo we did'nt have time to clear the spread and a quick u turn and catch up was needed fast as i nearly got spooled with about 20 meters left this marlin was heading for nz we chased it for a good km to get half the spool back a few jumps and a head shake and it was all over bugger but thats game fishing we worked the area for a good hour but no more hits it then glassed up but we were getting short off fuel so we headed in i'm not winging and was stoked to hookup to a marlin as i thought they were gone till summer

cheers gary

Bad luck on losing the marlin, Gary! Mind you, it would have been very exciting all the time leading up to the 'self release'!

I'd be heading back to that area again ....... SOON!!

Roberta

bad luck on the beakie gaz..

yeh its strange the marlin are still around and a couple were caught over the w/e..

those fin are still out wide and im surprised theres not alot of reports yet as i know of a few good 50-70 keggers...

i was a few k's off the joey with 3 boys under 8 whale watching and it was a pitty that wind came up as they had a great day till then...

at least ya had a hookup and it will keep ya keen to get back out there looking for him again :biggrin2:

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman