Nice day - whales, dolphins, a few fish and a shark

james7

Saw this bloke as we headed out in beautiful conditions.

Cruisy way to fish eh. :thumbup:

post-4381-041958800 1309677717_thumb.jpg

Trolled for a while only picking up one bonito and heaps of big salmon. Kept two salmon and the bonnie for bait and continued on.

Saw this unusual diving vessel anchored off the cliffs. (I like the 'idea' of skindiving, but the thought of all those mean 'toothy critters' down there keeps me thinking that I'll just stay on the surface.)

(click on each photo to see it full size)

post-4381-036063100 1309677841_thumb.jpg

Things were very quiet for a while, then my mate Syd's reel screams and ...

post-4381-035309700 1309677929_thumb.jpg

... it was just a rat king.

post-4381-081347500 1309677986_thumb.jpg

Oh well, at least it wasn't another salmon.

Saw a lot of people fishing off the rocks. Even in the relatively calm conditions it looked too dangerous for me.

The waves were continually washing over this rock platform.

post-4381-082395600 1309678112_thumb.jpg

post-4381-004968700 1309678136_thumb.jpg

If you click on the image and enlarge it, you can seen these two guys on the rocks. Geez! You gotta be keen!

post-4381-063405100 1309678159_thumb.jpg

Tried drifting for flatties, but bloody jackets followed us everywhere. We lost about a dozen rigs and a lot of braid. :1badmood: If you didn't get a flathead straight away you'd lose your hooks and sinker. We must have moved 20 times.

Anyway, the conditions were still great as the sun set, so we decided to stay out a bit longer. It was cool, but not really cold. We eventually managed a few more flatties and two nice flounder.

Syd was catching all the decent flathead, so I continuously reminded him that my BIG 38cm flounder was the 'catch of the day'. Much better than his 'little' flounder and all those flathead! :074:

By 6 o'clock, I'd had enough of fishing in the dark, so I packed up my gear and took it easy for a while, still boasting about my flounder. Then Syd's light reel started screaming. "This is bloody heavy", he yelled, "It aint no flathead!"

post-4381-016362500 1309678911_thumb.jpg

Out of the darkness this toothless critter came to the surface.

post-4381-009226000 1309678899_thumb.jpg

post-4381-031162500 1309678953_thumb.jpg

Syd was right, it was 'bloody heavy'.

I know it was heavy because when I lifted it into the boat, I "complained like an old woman", so Syd says :074:)

We're not sure of the length, because it was longer than the brag mat, but we agreed it must have weighed 8-10kg. Fat little bugger alright! A few photos and it swam off. It was a good effort by Syd to land it on his lightest gear.

A good end to a great day.

We saw a few whales and dolphins and ended up with a good feed. Can't complain about that!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Sounds like another good day mate, you always seem to pick up the goods !

You wouldn't believe it, i seen that exactly boat getting hooked up to a car when driving to Sydney Harbour today, i was confused and had a bit of a laugh, it's an odd thing

Another top outing Pete and Syd, great assortment of fish and I agree that this time of year there is always some extra wildlife to see..

Good stuff guys and top shots Pete... :thumbup:

And I nearly forgot!

Here's Syd with the final catch ... The "table" shot. (which clearly shows my magnificant flounder!)

post-4381-024656500 1309681808_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

Good to see you were out and about today enjoying yourselves.

Great table full of fish for both families especially the Flounder as you don't see many around these days :thumbup::thumbup:

Seems like there are more whales around this year than there were the previous years. They must be eating all our fish stocks :)

Do you and Syd ever target the leather jacket, because I don't mind a good feed of them when they're around in good numbers. They're nice in the frying pan.

Great photo's as always.

Chris

Looks like a great day and a great feed!

Well done!

Where abouts were you fishing?

Squidward

G'day Squidward

We fished out of the Hacking and down along the Royal National Park.

Cheers

Peter

Seems like there are more whales around this year than there were the previous years. They must be eating all our fish stocks

Do you and Syd ever target the leather jacket, because I don't mind a good feed of them when they're around in good numbers. They're nice in the frying pan.

Great photo's as always.

Chris

I actually enjoy eating jackets Chris. I reckon they taste pretty good. However they get so bloody annoying! I reckon we covered about 10km and they turned up every time within 10 minutes of stopping. And we weren’t just losing hooks. We thought we might lose them out wider and I dropped down in 65m only to find 30 seconds later my line had gone slack. They'd bitten through the line just 20m from the surface! There goes 50m of good braid! :1badmood: I reckon they were hiding under the boat waiting for us!

We caught a couple when we just dangled the lines only 1-2m down and they came and attacked the small hooks with just a little bit of bait. If we wanted, we could have caught dozens that way.

As for the whales, I saw two breaching a couple of hundred meters away. Huge spashes! Absolutely brilliant! It's good to see the whale numbers are up, but I'm surprised that the jackets haven't eaten some of them as well! :074:

Cheers

Peter

... bet the flounder tasted good
... nice pics as usual and those flounder look mouth watering
... thats one nice flounder. congrats on a nice catch

You're right guys, it was a nice flounder. I ate it a few nights ago and it was sensational!!! Along with whiting, flounder is one of the best, most delicate fish you can eat.

Butter, a sprinkle of lemon pepper, wrapped in foil, into the oven, then finished under the grill.

It was one of the best meals I've cooked for ages.

At a tad over 38cm, and very thick, it was almost (I said "almost") too much for one person.

post-4381-048186900 1310041625_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Great catch and great report!

newbie question, but will the jackets just chew through the line???

Any particular colour?

Ouch that braid aint cheap...

cheers

Paul

G'day Paul

Syd and I discussed the reason why the jackets bit through my braid more than his. Syd reckons it was because I was using multi coloured braid, and his was black. We both had the mono rigs attacked losing hooks and sinkers, but I definitely had more braid bitten off further up the line.

I'm interested if anyone else has noticed whether jackets tend to 'attack' one colour braid more than another.

Cheers

Peter

Mate that's not a flounder - It's a barn door (AKA Pacific halibut) !

I've never seen a flounder as big as that.

They are certainly one of the tastiest fish I've ever had, but because I can never get them big enough for a proper meal, I seem to have forgotten about them.

Well done on the flatties too - gotta be happy with that...

Tony