Rebuilt my old 90hp Evinrude

Basil D

This not an invention but wanted to share it with you.

well after spending much time of the water Im really looking forward to getting back out there.

My Problem started about 3 months ago when my motor started running rough and had water in the fuel and I decided to give it a good going over.

First I replaced the water pump, gear oil, I found it was a breeze.

secondly was the power head, replaced the gaskets and found one gasket leaking across the cylinder but was ok on the compression test, all cylinders were 150psi.

Replaced Plugs, did my timing, drained the carbys, put fresh fuel in the tanks and took the boat out again, It started but ran rough for about 5 minutes and was ok, must been residue water???

Second time I took it out it ran like a clock until we finished and headed back, it started with it rough running again.

checked it over including carbies and everything was ok.

Third time I took out again was fine until we headed back, half way up the hacking to Wally's wharf the motor gave up, clunking noise and loss of power, I knew straight away it was skidding bearings.

Striped the engine down and yes found One skidded bearing and the Crank had rust all over it, damm, water was entering the system.

I never had fuel for more than a month at a time, I always used it up. Could water have entered the fuel tank vent tube?? I will never know, I have found water in the fuel a couple of times and the vent tube was in the engine well without a water separator, lesson learnt, The hard way.

The.

I mean its something I never checked or needed to, had the boat for years without a problem and was the way I bought it.

lower power head gasket that fits to to the Lower leg adaptor was fine and did not look like it was seeping water

any way ended up with a reco Block with rings and Bearings and a good second hand Crankshaft.

Tell you what, Im car Mechanic and never worked on outboards before, Damm they are fiddly and not to mention you have to drill out snapped bolts, doest matter how much you work these bolts in and out, you always end up with a dozen or so broken bolts and the time it takes to drill and tap them out or clean the threads with dies etc.Even when you think you had it right with fitting parts back it was one step forward and sometimes up to half a dozen steps back before going forward again.

Marked all electrical's, wiring & parts with everything going into sandwich snap bags and were labled, photos taken to help with were everything bolts or fits to etc.

Sanded down the leg, covers etc, undercoated them and gave it a Quick spray Job, will spray the tilt and trim next when I get a few hours off.

End result, Im heading back out as soon the next Nice Day comes along.

Here a few photos and the Engine running, :yahoo: spit three times ok, :074:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5tIf1BWfz4

post-8352-090084100 1309755918_thumb.jpg

post-8352-009104100 1309755933_thumb.jpg

post-8352-063219800 1309755948_thumb.jpg

post-8352-027567800 1309769998_thumb.jpg

post-8352-092488400 1309770019_thumb.jpg

post-8352-021797200 1309770032_thumb.jpg

post-8352-023684300 1309770047_thumb.jpg

post-8352-067320200 1309770063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Groper

Good job Groper,

You can definately say that you have put your blood sweat and teers into your outboard now!!!

They are fiddely to work on thats for sure as I had to change the headgasket and thermostat on my Evinrude 50 recently and I snapped at least half a dozen bolts a real nightmare but as long as you have the patience its very rewarding.

I hope she serves you well for your efforts,

Regards,

Nathan

with the high cost of Living I had no choice, someone had to save on the carbon tax :074:

Groper good work on your pride and joy :thumbup: I did a full rebuild on my last boat , same engine due to a lower crank bearing failing causing spark plug gap to close under revs.

I know what you mean about the bolts :ranting2: When i put the bolts back in i coated them in a NON hardening permatex allows for easy removal if any need to come out down the track.

Did you have the big ends close and honed?

BOAT= Bring over another thousand , parts sure add up at the end of the job.

Good effort mate, let me know when you are heading down south for a run and if i can i will get my boat out too, as backup.

Hope she runs like a dream now.

ftu ftu ftu

pete.

Hey Pete, I going to give my Boat run close by first Just to make sure, then we can tee up two or three boats to go out, Ive have a mate who Just smashes the big Snapper down there :thumbup:

Hey Pete, I going to give my Boat run close by first Just to make sure, then we can tee up two or three boats to go out, Ive have a mate who Just smashes the big Snapper down there :thumbup:

sounds like a plan, count me in :thumbup:

Groper good work on your pride and joy :thumbup: I did a full rebuild on my last boat , same engine due to a lower crank bearing failing causing spark plug gap to close under revs.

I know what you mean about the bolts :ranting2: When i put the bolts back in i coated them in a NON hardening permatex allows for easy removal if any need to come out down the track.

Did you have the big ends close and honed?

BOAT= Bring over another thousand , parts sure add up at the end of the job.

I bought another Crank as the other was demolished and was able to stay with standard factory bearings :thumbup:

Also needed another rod + end cap.

I know what you mean, Bring on another Thousand alright.

Luckily I do most of my own work, from the trailor to the outboard to some fibreglass repairs.

Edited by Groper

Holy Moley! What a jigsaw puzzle! Glad it was you putting it together again!! You would get on very well with my brother Sails/Cam! He loves pulling his motor apart, too!

Gee, you got it looking like new & sounding terrific! Well done!

Roberta

Holy Moley! What a jigsaw puzzle! Glad it was you putting it together again!! You would get on very well with my brother Sails/Cam! He loves pulling his motor apart, too!

Gee, you got it looking like new & sounding terrific! Well done!

Roberta

Thanks Roberta, yes it was a jigsaw puzzle and Hope I dont have to that again not for a very long time.

Your Brother sounds very mechanically minded, Been mechanically minded you do your own work on boats, cars, paint, carpentry and much much much more.

074.gif074.gif You could be Cam's TWIN!! I don't suppose you pick up stray washing machines & vacuum cleaners from Council Cleanups, get them working again & pass them on to those in need as well?? Cam LIVES in his garage, tinkering away on all sorts of projects! Luckily, he has a very forgiving wife!

Roberta

074.gif074.gif You could be Cam's TWIN!! I don't suppose you pick up stray washing machines & vacuum cleaners from Council Cleanups, get them working again & pass them on to those in need as well?? Cam LIVES in his garage, tinkering away on all sorts of projects! Luckily, he has a very forgiving wife!

Roberta

HAHAHA no I havent done that But my Farther in law takes the motors out of the washing machines and makes BBQ spits out of them.

But I do tinker away in my garage from time to time and Ive rebuild my Gas heater, Replaced the mother board in my Plasma tv, Painted the house, replaced locks, taps, fitted ceiling fans, fixed my gutters etc, I do all my House/car repairs and the rest :thumbup:

HAHAHA no I havent done that But my Farther in law takes the motors out of the washing machines and makes BBQ spits out of them.

But I do tinker away in my garage from time to time and Ive rebuild my Gas heater, Replaced the mother board in my Plasma tv, Painted the house, replaced locks, taps, fitted ceiling fans, fixed my gutters etc, I do all my House/car repairs and the rest :thumbup:

Ah the satisfaction of a job well done and a quid saved to boot

Fantastic Bro.... she sounds sweet. Another job well done.. I cant let my wife see your post, she will want me to do those things too... Im too busy fishing for that...lmao

I think I will post this on her facebook wall :074:

I just wonder who that mate is. I am very impressed Basil with your achievements especially with the paint job, but i will come over and bring you your compression tester and then we can check that as well. Also impressed with the clips so we have to get some action with the fish and bring along the camera man.:yahoo: Cheers cg.

Hey George, those clips where taken with my mobile phone, Nokia N8 awesome little phone with 12 mega pixels.