Owner hooks

PM79

I've been a longtime user of Mustad hooks and between when I was more actively fishing 2 years ago and now it seems that most tackle stores don't stock Mustad anymore, so I'm looking to pick a new brand.

Everywhere I look people are raving about Owner hooks, specifically the circle hooks, and I was wondering what the fishraider consensus was.

I'd also be interested in any opinions on other brands.

Edited by reLapse

Mat I use owners now after a few years not fishing due to work... They are great hooks and haven't let me down once.... I must say though if using circle hooks......don't strike!!!!! It's so hard not to do but the fish will hook itself... Trust me.. Good luck!!

When it comes to bread and butter species I use Jarvis walker chemically sharpened hooks, at 8c a hook I don't think twice about cutting off fish that are to deeply hooked, as is the case frequently.

I'll step up to a mustad when live baiting or using strips of squid on a 2 hook rig.

And as for ganged hooks, I'm not happy with the mustad hooks iv been using I'm going to have to look around.

I am not keen on circle hooks. Whether using them with baits or lures I get less hook-ups. That's without striking.

Mustad & Gamakatsu hooks work & last well. Those carbon blackmagic hooks are very sharp, but expensive and disposable.

Yeah I don't like the idea of the circle hooks as I'm an active fisherman, I don't like setting rods and waiting for the fish to do all the work.

I ordered some ssw all purpose from size 6-5/0 and ebi baitholder from size 6-2/0, they arrived this morning.

Edited by reLapse

there are some cheap circle hooks from an online auction website that ive only just started using. The guy was located in Vic if i remember correctly

they're very simillar to the gamatasu circle hooks and are decent quality. Very sharp and strongly made. got 100 4/0 delivered for 10 bucks.