What is this fish?

Dingostema

Yep its a Rock Cale.

Shame to see it killed when you dont know if its edible, protected or of a legal size.

Rich

Hi, sadly the hook was so deep I couldnt get it out with seriously damaging the fish. It seemed like the only option that I had. D

You can always cut the line and let it go, that way the fish has a chance to live and you protect yourself from any fines should your catch be inspected.

the Rock Cale seemed to have a pretty small mouth, the hook was lodged pretty deeply in its troat and while I couldnt get the hook out I think leaving it in would have obstructed its ability to eat. I felt bad killing it but I thought it unfair to throw the fish back to let it starve to death.

Anyone else comment on this please? I honestly only killed the fish because I thought it was the right thing to do and didnt want the fish to suffer????

Thanks, Dingo

Fish have a high acid content in their stomachs that can literally dissolve hooks in a matter of days.. Cut the line as short as possible to the eye of the hook and release... Hooks aren't that expensive to replace...

Fish have a high acid content in their stomachs that can literally dissolve hooks in a matter of days.. Cut the line as short as possible to the eye of the hook and release... Hooks aren't that expensive to replace...

Thanks, I dont care about loosing hooks or anything else mate, As youll see from earlier posts I am pretty new to fishing and I didnt realise this was the case.

And don't worry about it. It is one rock cale.

When you see something you are not sure about cut it loose for your own safety. A lot of fish can sting you very badly. Better to be safe. Cut the line.

And don't worry about it. It is one rock cale.

When you see something you are not sure about cut it loose for your own safety. A lot of fish can sting you very badly. Better to be safe. Cut the line.

hehe, yes, I should have learned that lesson from the Catfish sting on the Hawksbury at Easter!