Mixed bag at Long Reef

Day's Fishin

We decide to take the day off and hit Long Reef as the weather and sea conditions were perfect for our small 5m boat to go outside. A bad start was the 2 batteries failed to turn over the motor so it was pull the boat off the ramp and swap the one out of the hilux. Still no go. After a little bit of colourful langauge we found the terminals were the fault even though they were both clean. ( I am now going to replace them with brass ones)

Heading out from Parsley Bay ramp we hit a solid wall of fog coming from Cowan creek, I had heard that Cowan was having zero visability lately but I never thought it was like that!

The run out was as good as you could hope for as even the head swell was small enough to allow us to keep the boat on the plain without the slightest bump.

We tried drifting ,but came up short! We then sounded some good broken ground ln 20m of water so dropped the pick.

The first hit was a 36cm trev, with a few more smaller ones taken quickly after.

It was time to burly as we decided that the area looked promising and would give it a pounding.

Within 10minutes off putting the burly over the morwong came on the bite the best being a nice rubber lip weighing 2.1kg.

Next species was a nice blue spot flathead 43cm.

Heaths rod then decided to try and turn itself insideout. Snagged a rock snapper I said smirking.:biggrin2:

Heath then informed me that if it was then he was bringing the bottom up to say hi!

We both called it for a wobbi as it just hung there most of the time with only giving a downward thrust every now and then. It took about 20-minutes to see what had decided to play tug o war. It was a Port Jackson around the 4ft mark and about 30kg's. Not bad on a bass rod loaded with 6lb braidpost-5857-084628400 1312183099_thumb.jpg.:thumbup:

After tail grabbing him we hauled him onboard for a couple of pic' and then put him back.

We then changed over to pillchards. A cast out from the boat the pili hit the water and couldn't have gone down more than a meter or two when the line peeled of the reel at the rate of knots.

A 5minute fight saw a nice but very angry blue shark beside the boat, a quick decision was made to keep her for the bbq on Sunday.

She was about 1.2 meters long and very,very angry as the teeth marks on the side of my boat can testify to!

After repeated attemps to tail her and nearly losing a hand on numerious occasions, I sank the gaff which gave Heath the chance to grab her tail and bring her aboard.

Thats the last time I bring a blue shark on board a small boat while it is still in the land of the living.

Our tally for 4hrs on the water was 1 Blue shark, 1 Port Jackson shark, 3 morwong, numerious trevs, 1 blue spot flathead @ 43cm and a lot of parrot fish.

To add to the day we seen 2 whales one of which breeched within about 50meters of our boat.

For a bad start to the trip it ended pretty good.

Regards Jeff

I have a couple of pic's which I took on my phone and now trying to upload them. I will add them as soon as I can.

post-5857-061690700 1312183136_thumb.jpg

post-5857-009970500 1312183187_thumb.jpg

Edited by Day's Fishin

Hi Bruce, Blue shark/Mako shark same beast.

Re the pic's, it wont let me upload from my email as that is the only way we could get them onto the computer. I moved them from email to my pictures but fishraider won't upload. :ranting2: I'm waiting for one of my offspring to come to my aid and show me how.

Regards Jeff

Nah,different beasties mate,

Hooking a Blue shark is like hooking an underwater log,and hooking a Mako is like being attatched to a pshyco icbm.Not trying to be a smartarse Jeff,just letting you know that they arn't the same,catching a Mako is a far more challenging experience.Good onya Jeff,hope you enjoy the feed!.

Cheers,

Bruce :beersmile:

Hi Bruce, a Mako shark is also refered to as a blue pointer shark. I just call them a blue shark. When the pic's come up you will see we had a mako.

Regards Jeff

No worries,each to their own.

As a matter of fact,we had a bit of a play with one today,took a mate out and i tied a couple of last weeks Mac tuna frames to a short rope out the back.Sure enough a small Mako comes in for a bit of a look and begins to have a nibble on the frames,the sea anchors,the prop,the rope and anything else it could get it's crockery around.But the fun part was when he got serious about the tuna frames and my mate was pulling the rope around with that little Mako going big monkey poo on the end of it.It looked to me like they were both having a ball.

Grabbed a couple of pics,but im not sure how they look yet,but if they are any good i'll bung 'em up.

Cheers,

Edited by Bananaphobic

Hi Bruce I would sure like to see your pics if they turned out alright. Do you eat your mako's?

The one we had yesterday was pertty ordinary on the pallet!

I finally loaded my pic's. My youngest daughter had her first baby last friday and I had to wait to get her to adjust the pic's so I could upload them on fishraider.

I will take my camera from now on as it is plug in and it does what ever I want.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

We decide to take the day off and hit Long Reef as the weather and sea conditions were perfect for our small 5m boat to go outside. A bad start was the 2 batteries failed to turn over the motor so it was pull the boat off the ramp and swap the one out of the hilux. Still no go. After a little bit of colourful langauge we found the terminals were the fault even though they were both clean. ( I am now going to replace them with brass ones)

Heading out from Parsley Bay ramp we hit a solid wall of fog coming from Cowan creek, I had heard that Cowan was having zero visability lately but I never thought it was like that!

The run out was as good as you could hope for as even the head swell was small enough to allow us to keep the boat on the plain without the slightest bump.

We tried drifting ,but came up short! We then sounded some good broken ground ln 20m of water so dropped the pick.

The first hit was a 36cm trev, with a few more smaller ones taken quickly after.

It was time to burly as we decided that the area looked promising and would give it a pounding.

Within 10minutes off putting the burly over the morwong came on the bite the best being a nice rubber lip weighing 2.1kg.

Heaths rod then decided to try and turn itself insideout. Snagged a rock snapper I said smirking.:biggrin2:

Heath then informed me that if it was then he was bringing the bottom up to say hi!

We both called it for a wobbi as it just hung there most of the time with only giving a downward thrust every now and then. It took about 20-minutes to see what had decided to play tug o war. It was a Port Jackson around the 4ft mark and about 30kg's. Not bad on a bass rod loaded with 6lb braidpost-5857-084628400 1312183099_thumb.jpg.:thumbup:

After tail grabbing him we hauled him onboard for a couple of pic' and then put him back.

We then changed over to pillchards. A cast out from the boat the pili hit the water and couldn't have gone down more than a meter or two when the line peeled of the reel at the rate of knots.

A 5minute fight saw a nice but very angry blue shark beside the boat, a quick decision was made to keep her for the bbq on Sunday.

She was about 1.2 meters long and very,very angry as the teeth marks on the side of my boat can testify to!

After repeated attemps to tail her and nearly losing a hand on numerious occasions, I sank the gaff which gave Heath the chance to grab her tail and bring her aboard.

Thats the last time I bring a blue shark on board a small boat while it is still in the land of the living.

Our tally for 4hrs on the water was 1 Blue shark, 1 Port Jackson shark, 3 morwong, numerious trevs, 1 blue spot flathead @ 43cm and a lot of parrot fish.

To add to the day we seen 2 whales one of which breeched within about 50meters of our boat.

Regards Jeff

I have a couple of pic's which I took on my phone and now trying to upload them. I will add them as soon as I can.

Great trip , those mako make for superb eating especially if handled correctly from capture.

They sure give you a good fight and put on a terrific aerial show don,t they.

BBQ mako :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

chris

You had an interesting day. How big are the boneheads? When a shark gets air you know it's a mako. Great show.

We saw three guys drifting near us a while back off Terrigal and this huge Mako leapt full body lengths out of the water right in front of them before they even knew they'd hooked it. Then the line went tight. After the show as we laughed these poor blokes packed up and went straight home. There are stories of them jumping aboard and going nuts.

hi all

was down there sunday aswell left from parsley bay smooth seas no t much wind did ok

heaps of trevally and some kings biggest 64cm lost a heap on the reef due to light line had the kings in the burley trail but wouldnt play on the heavier gear left there about 11 am and found a masive school of salmon off palm beach landed about 20 kept a couple released the rest left them on the bite

cheers

Hi Bruce I would sure like to see your pics if they turned out alright. Do you eat your mako's?

The one we had yesterday was pertty ordinary on the pallet!

I finally loaded my pic's. My youngest daughter had her first baby last friday and I had to wait to get her to adjust the pic's so I could upload them on fishraider.

I will take my camera from now on as it is plug in and it does what ever I want.

Regards Jeff

G'day Jeff,

Sorry about the piss poor pics,but one of the kids had buggered around with my camera settings and i didn't notice until it was to late.

But heres a couple that you can make out the subject matter in.

post-5510-066356300 1312274499_thumb.jpg

post-5510-036542200 1312274553_thumb.jpg

post-5510-005054900 1312274583_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Regards Jeff

Great report and great pics mate, we gotta go for a fish mate would be epic