first solo session on Berowra

jordan.widz

G'day raiders,

Got my P's now which means I can go fishing almost whenever I want now!! :yahoo: So I headed down to Berowra for a flattie bash with bait and was quite pleased with effort reversing the boat down the ramp for the first time, only had to correct it once! I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it actually was.

Anyway got to the flathead spot and fished a couple hours either side of the high tide for 3 nice flatties ranging from 45cm - 55cm. Also lost three at the surface as I rarely net my own fish and am still getting use to it and dropped quite a few aswell, even whilst using circle hooks :thumbdown: might have to review my hook choice next time, what hooks do other raiders use for flathead on bait in esturies? Also had a big run from something that tangled up every line i had out and busted me off, i'm thinking it was the same ray I caught last time as it ran at the similar speed as the last one. No luck with the blade today the water is very cold and the fish fish must be to lazy to attack a moving lure.

The weather was great today, I was down to a t-shirt and shorts and still roasting, 24 degrees in winter, gotta love OZ :thumbup: and the family was happy aswell cause they get a free feed of fresh fish for dinnner, can't beat crummed flathead fillets.

post-14559-052786400 1312286608_thumb.jpg

See ya later,

Prawn Star

Good to hear you `ve got your P`s and not a bad start on your maiden voyage. Reversing is not that hard as long as you take it slowly

I had a similar start to reversing a boat and that was what I learnt. Don`t worry about those waiting and try and speed it up. It wont work.

Looking forward to hearing many more reports more often.

Well done and good start!

I was on the river(Berowra) last Sunday without any line action at all.

But the weather and water was fantastic.

I'm still looking for a good spot at Berowra Waters, may you can help?

Reversing the trailer is easy work some days and other days are nearly imposible.

No rush at the ramp and you'll be fine.

Cheers, see you on the water

JR

Hay mate nice work ..

The hooks I usually use are 1/0 ganghooks but only two hooks instead of three ..and put half a pilly on and had most luck with that and also get good size bream on them aswell ..

Hi mate,

First of all nice fish. Bet they went well on the dinner table as well.

I fished for lizards for years with live baits and found through a guide in Townsville that took my Barra fishing that the best live baiting hooks are true turns.

I cant remember if i used 1/0 or 2/0 but they are great for all species and hook in the side of the mouth nearly every time so that you can let the big females go without hurting them or loosing your hook.

Gamagatsu true turns, unless they have changed the name.

I hope it helps and good luck on your next outing.

Cobba

G'day raiders,

Got my P's now which means I can go fishing almost whenever I want now!! :yahoo: So I headed down to Berowra for a flattie bash with bait and was quite pleased with effort reversing the boat down the ramp for the first time, only had to correct it once! I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it actually was.

Anyway got to the flathead spot and fished a couple hours either side of the high tide for 3 nice flatties ranging from 45cm - 55cm. Also lost three at the surface as I rarely net my own fish and am still getting use to it and dropped quite a few aswell, even whilst using circle hooks :thumbdown: might have to review my hook choice next time, what hooks do other raiders use for flathead on bait in esturies? Also had a big run from something that tangled up every line i had out and busted me off, i'm thinking it was the same ray I caught last time as it ran at the similar speed as the last one. No luck with the blade today the water is very cold and the fish fish must be to lazy to attack a moving lure.

The weather was great today, I was down to a t-shirt and shorts and still roasting, 24 degrees in winter, gotta love OZ :thumbup: and the family was happy aswell cause they get a free feed of fresh fish for dinnner, can't beat crummed flathead fillets.

See ya later,

Prawn Star

Well done on the Lizards. Great feed. Pity you didnt net those other few!

Nice feed mate! I personally go for baitholder hooks raging from size 1 to 2/0 depending on what bait. I find that in the hawkesbury/berowra prawns are dynamite. You get your flatties but the bream and other species will happily take one too!

Well done and good start!

I was on the river(Berowra) last Sunday without any line action at all.

But the weather and water was fantastic.

I'm still looking for a good spot at Berowra Waters, may you can help?

Reversing the trailer is easy work some days and other days are nearly imposible.

No rush at the ramp and you'll be fine.

Cheers, see you on the water

JR

hi mate, berowra really shuts down during winter (well for me anyway) I havent caught a bream there since early june only flatties but the key for flatties is to anchor on the steepest drop off u can find with your sounder and burley hard (i usually use diced up pillys and continously throw them up-current of me) fish a couple of hours either side of the turn of the tide and really focus on the turn. Use a variety of baits at first then switch over to whatever is working best, whole pillies and and pilchard heads have been going off lately but that can all change over a few days. If you want a place to start, try the yellow marker bouy near the entrance to calabash bay, theres a deep channel near the shoreline but this place can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. There are flatties on all the dropoffs at berowra, you just gotta find the ones that hold more than others, remember burley, burley, burley. Oh and during summer flick a plastic around while your waiting for the bait rods to go off

Hope this helps,

Prawn Star

thanks guys for all the replies on hooks, think I need to go 'shopping' tomorrow. Im gonna be looking at some baitholder hooks and maybe gang a few, also like the look of those mustad wide gap hooks, I think my dad may have a few in his tackle box actually :1naughty: am I the only idiot out there using circles for flatties?? lol just gotta find those mullet at the ramp now, last two times i've been there have been none!

hi mate, berowra really shuts down during winter (well for me anyway) I havent caught a bream there since early june only flatties but the key for flatties is to anchor on the steepest drop off u can find with your sounder and burley hard (i usually use diced up pillys and continously throw them up-current of me) fish a couple of hours either side of the turn of the tide and really focus on the turn. Use a variety of baits at first then switch over to whatever is working best, whole pillies and and pilchard heads have been going off lately but that can all change over a few days. If you want a place to start, try the yellow marker bouy near the entrance to calabash bay, theres a deep channel near the shoreline but this place can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. There are flatties on all the dropoffs at berowra, you just gotta find the ones that hold more than others, remember burley, burley, burley. Oh and during summer flick a plastic around while your waiting for the bait rods to go off

Hope this helps,

Prawn Star

Thanks a lot for the tip.

Will try next time and let you know how it went.

I guess I need to put more rod holders on my little tinnie.

What sort of boat you got?

The ferry 'master' told me last Sunday, the guys fishing from the rocks next to the ferry pulled a 4/5 kg Jewfish minutes before I went on the ferry.

Cheers

JR

Thanks a lot for the tip.

Will try next time and let you know how it went.

I guess I need to put more rod holders on my little tinnie.

What sort of boat you got?

The ferry 'master' told me last Sunday, the guys fishing from the rocks next to the ferry pulled a 4/5 kg Jewfish minutes before I went on the ferry.

Cheers

JR

No worrie mate, check out THIS POST to see my tinny, and THIS ONE shows my rod holder set up, I've got it set up perfectly fow fishing lures and bait at berowra now and its so easy to fish out of. And thats good to hear of a jewie in berowra, especially after all this rain and fresh water in the system, my next trip I was planning on exploring upstream of the ferry so might have to try around there, thanks mate.

Mustad Wide Gap (pink colour) for livies such as poddies and yakkas. You don't miss many fish with these hooks as they penetrate the corner of the mouth to save your leader! Nice feed there too!

Yeh they look the goods and have been around for ages apparently, why have I not come across them?? lol. What I like about them is that they have the advantave of a circle hook so you hook them in the mouth but still have plenty of point exposed. Must get some.

G'day raiders,

See ya later,

Prawn Star

Congratulations on your p's mate.

Nice work on the lizards , good to see berowra fishing well

chris.