Great Day on the water

squidboy

Hi Raiders,

I like to keep some reports short, so here goes:

Headed out with Mako for some Reserch and Developmenton Snapper.

Headed straight in search of fishy reefs

Lots of reef fish were caught before Mako lands three snapper back to back. Squidboy nill

Squidboy gets dusted by 1 snapper and then virtually spooled by what we believe was a shark

Ok, spot two, nutter.

Spot three after some rearranging the anchor.

Squidboy gets three snapper, biggest being 51cm for the day. High fives on the boat. Squidboy nthen gets dusted by another pink horse.

Just want to thank Mako for get me amongst the snapper today. It was an exceptional day on the water and the weather got even better as the day progressed.

Now to go eat some snapper backed in the oven with veges! Mako has the photos, he may post shortly.

Squidboy

It was a pleasure having you on board today Marco and I'm glad we managed to find some fish.

The day started at Cronulla were we launched at 6am and headed south for Austinmer.

At the first spot we were plagued with mackerel so we started using them for bait.

I managed two keeper snapper and Marco managed a salmon and some couta on the bottom and was dusted by a good snapper .

Marco also had a big hook up on something that decided it wanted to head for home and in the process emptied all of the 10lb braid from the reel leaving only a short amount of backing.

Marco was able to turn the beast and gain some line back but on the next run it took most of the line again.

I went to pull the anchor up to chase the beast but the trace parted before I finished lifting the anchor.

We suspect it was a shark.

Things went quiet after that so we moved to another spot but there wasn’t much action there either.

We moved to another spot that was a bit deeper and we found the fish.

Marco hooked up on one of the floaters and pulled in a nice snapper in the mid 40s.

Marco was soon hooked up again on the floater and pulled in another mid 40s snapper but before he could unhook it his other rod buckled over and he was hooked up again.

This was a better fish and after a short fight a high 40s snapper was in the net.

post-2229-028840100 1312623980_thumb.jpg

Things went quiet for about 15mins but then Marco was on again and this fish was a better snapper at 51cms.

post-2229-099204800 1312623971_thumb.jpg

Not long after Marco had another run and this was a much better snapper taking lots of drag but after getting it off the bottom the hook pulled half way up.

I wasn't doing to well on the floaters so I fished the bottom and pulled in a couple of jackets and a small pigfish to add to the bag.

post-2229-002055100 1312623988_thumb.jpg

It was a top day on the water with great company and some nice fish caught.

Great catch guys :thumbup:

What depth were you fishing in? Did you have any problems with the current?

We found the current moving south very fast last Thursday.

Cheers

Peter

The depth at the first two spots was about 15m and 25m at the last spot.

I also found that the current was quite strong last weekend but it wasn't that strong yesterday and it

had backed right off at the end of the session.