thinking on building a pontoon boat for wheel chair access

jewfishrobby

hi all,

i was having a look at the potoon boats as i have a partner in a wheel chair who loves fishing but bit hard to do 1 out in my current boat can any body tell me what i need to do if i modify a boat or build from scratch to be able to register or kept any mods legal? i was thinking about a barge with modifications as the exsisiting pontoon boats are still not quite right to get a wheel chair around on. any help or advise would be most appericated.

hi all,

i was having a look at the potoon boats as i have a partner in a wheel chair who loves fishing but bit hard to do 1 out in my current boat can any body tell me what i need to do if i modify a boat or build from scratch to be able to register or kept any mods legal? i was thinking about a barge with modifications as the exsisiting pontoon boats are still not quite right to get a wheel chair around on. any help or advise would be most appericated.

Hi jewfishrobby - being a nurse I have a few leads on getting some info. I have emailed a few and will let you know of any info I get back.

mrsswordie

I have done work for the guy's that design and build these weed harvesters. They use a mould to produce the sealed plastic flotation pods, then create an aluminium deck. They might be able to build one from scratch as a custom order for you, as they are very cluey buggers!

post-12851-009900100 1312689534_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the manufacturer but there are are heaps of great looking barg boats getting around Port Hacking,maybe you could check them out,I believe the alloy extrusion they use is from the oyster industry.If you went the maximum trailerable width and used a side consol you would have plenty of room to move around and a wide door at the transom

• 1 month later...

I've been a wheelchair user for 34 years and an avid sailor, so I am well aware of the problems of getting "wheelies" into boats safely. On my yacht I have a boom to swing in off and a 750kg keel to keep the yacht basically stable, but that keel really makes shallow fishing impossible.

Pontoon boats are your best bet and I have a number of friends in the US who own them and love them for lake boats. Even though one is powerful enough for her family to ski behind, she admits it is not a great boat in heavy waves and is best in sheltered waters or lakes.

'

I rented a BarBee Boat which was an old Aussie made pontoon boat up in the Gold Coast many years ago (probably 1980s) and that was fine. I could just squeeze on between the railings and rolled around the deck no problems. Had to sit sideways to fit half behind the wheel, but for a standard rental pontoon boat, that's impressive. Was something like these BBQ Boats Perhaps you could contact these hire companies and buy an old one you could then modify to suit, for a reasonable price. After all, rental boats would need to meet 'charter' regs that get stricter all the time.

Another paraplegic I know in Melbourne has another option of a Kiwi designed Sealegs Amphibious boat that he can transfer onto from his chair on land, drive into the water, go fishing, or in his case use a a "tender" for his real boat that has a lift to access the cabins below, engine room, and up to the fly bridge !!! Yes, it is a BIG power cruiser...

Mostly it depends upon mooring/boat ramp/dock facilities and access as well as loading height, but most ramps around Melbourne have been upgraded to have quite reasonable access and floating docks so height is more consistent and would allow roll on/off on a pontoon boat, if the access way of pontton boat is widened and a decent ramp obtained to bridge the gap safely.

You also need to consider the person's weight, mobility, balance and other personal issues. I don't feel very stable in my wheelchair on a small boat as they tend to roll and slide around, even with the brakes on, so you'd need to perhaps consider some sort of tiedown to secure chair or transfer into a seat, which is safer.

I have a number of overseas contacts that may be of interest who have made accessible boats and yachts, so feel free to PM me for further details.

Cheers and safe rolling.

post-17018-072923700 1316678954_thumb.jpg