Fishy Allsorts

chewie

Fished with SandGroper off Sydney yesterday. We experimented with a few different techniques and Lures and caught an amazing variety of Fish. Its awesome the colours and variety of fish we have at our fingertips and its always fun to pull in a few firsts, and some new PBs.

First up was a Pretty little Porcupine fish who even after being caught still looked like it wanted to eat the Octajig.

post-17369-081821000 1314578756_thumb.jpg

Then Some Bakers of all sizes and a Scorpion cod.

post-17369-004129900 1314578802_thumb.jpg

post-17369-012049100 1314579080_thumb.jpg

I was happy with this vibrant little Blue spotted Goat fish that took a liking to the octajig.

post-17369-038848300 1314579142_thumb.jpg

post-17369-000416700 1314579181_thumb.jpg

Then we had Double hookups on Barracouta, sorry no photos as we both tried to get the smelly things back into the water before blood and scales went everywhere…

We wanted to come home with a feed of Flatties so we changed tack and used the wind and drift to target them for a few hours.

The mixed bag of fishy allsorts continued, with this Colourful Fiddler/Banjo Ray in amongst the Flatties we caught. (It would have been nice to have been a thumper Flattie though).

post-17369-011900000 1314579209_thumb.jpg

We consistently caught flatties to 52cm and went home with some nice dinners.

post-17369-093796200 1314579239_thumb.jpg

Funnily, out of all the Flatties, they were all Eastern blue spot, with no marbled mixed in. I wonder if it’s a seasonal thing?

It was nice to be out on the water and catch such a colourful mixed bag and come home with a great feed using only Lures. When the wind dropped at about 2pm we headed back in.

Cheers.

Chewie

It's amazing the variety of fish you can catch off Sydney Chewie. When I first looked at your report, I thought you were colour coordinating your catch - just red/orange fish, but the banjo and flathead spoiled it! :074:

Did you eat the goatfish? Just wondering what they were like. I've caught a few but never eaten one. And you can't go past a good feed of flatties.

A successful day just using lures. Did you find any particular lure or technique more successful than others?

Good report and great photos. :thumbup: ... and that baker's eyes keep following me!

Cheers

Peter

It's amazing the variety of fish you can catch off Sydney Chewie. When I first looked at your report, I thought you were colour coordinating your catch - just red/orange fish, but the banjo and flathead spoiled it! :074:

Did you eat the goatfish? Just wondering what they were like. I've caught a few but never eaten one. And you can't go past a good feed of flatties.

A successful day just using lures. Did you find any particular lure or technique more successful than others?

Good report and great photos. :thumbup: ... and that baker's eyes keep following me!

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter,

Yes i Agree, the red Fish go nice with my Red PFD.

The Goatfish was released as we are pretty picky with what we normally take home for the table( we had Flatties as our target and i have never eaten a goatfish).

As with lures, i love the idea of the Octajig fluttering away down below. Its the first time i have used them so i look forward to giving them a shot in the next few outings.

We have been refining our Flattie drifting techniques and have found the larger plastics catch the better fish. This really means your not catching as many small flatties(although you still do get small couragous fish) so your keeper fish to smaller fish ratio is reduced. I did use a small fluro lobby/yabby which accounted for the Banjo but i was continually removing the smaller flatties while Sandgrouper was getting the Quality Fish. We both ended up using 7 inch gulps.

Another point to mention is if we are fishing in an area with heaps of jackets, we fish with cheaper non scented Plastics so we are not wasting a fortune on damaged gulps.

Good report mate, that pretty much sums up the expedition. But, one thing you forgot to mention is the 2 (one each) 50cm flatties that we each tried to put in the live bait tank for safe keeping. Mine slipped out of my hands and quickly darted back to the depths and yours did the same about 20mimutes later! D'oh. :)

Good report mate, that pretty much sums up the expedition. But, one thing you forgot to mention is the 2 (one each) 50cm flatties that we each tried to put in the live bait tank for safe keeping. Mine slipped out of my hands and quickly darted back to the depths and yours did the same about 20mimutes later! D'oh. :)

Yeah! Plus the two others at the boat! Lazy netting... A massive Aquarium full of those fish would have looked awesome including that six spine Jacket you caught. Almost tropical. Flattie for dinner last night and lunch today! Awesome!

Nice mix Chewie

A bit of advice, don't let the goat fish go, they are awesome on the table!

Firm white flesh that's not to fishy in flavor, to eat I'd rate it better than snapper.

Greg

Thank Greg,

I might have to try one next time...i guess you would have to cook them whole as they look boney.

Funnily, out of all the Flatties, they were all Eastern blue spot, with no marbled mixed in. I wonder if it’s a seasonal thing?

Chewie.

Marbled flathead are usually found in deeper water than blue spots, have caught a few blue spots in shallow water off Lilli Pilli in Port Hacking at various times.

Has been a few years since I landed the occasional tiger flathead off Cronulla. Has anyone caught any tigers recently?

Yowie.

Edited by yowie

Chewie.

Marbled flathead are usually found in deeper water than blue spots, have caught a few blue spots in shallow water off Lilli Pilli in Port Hacking at various times.

Has been a few years since I landed the occasional tiger flathead off Cronulla. Has anyone caught any tigers recently?

Yowie.

Nice report Chewie, great pics.

Yowie i got a 30cm tiger about a week ago drifting off cronulla. mixed in with alot of little spikeys

Morgs