Skinny Water Bass

lure-n-fly

Seeing all the recent reports of the bass starting to fire up was getting my fishing juices flowing.

With the hot days coming to end with a southerly change on the way tonight, I decided I needed to hit the local creek for a quick session after work.

It takes about half an hour to walk to the pool where I found the fish last time.

Since I last visited the creek about a month ago, the water level had dropped slightly. (It had just rained prior to my previous session and there has been plenty of rain since).

I was excited to see a school of reasonable size bass in the same pool I fished last time. I pulled out my pack rod and tied on a 3" Squigdy wriggler in bloodworm. I spooked the fish climbing down to the bank, but cast on regardless. On about the fifth cast, the squidgy was nailed by a small bass of about 20cm.

post-19557-030872900 1319452833_thumb.jpg

After releasing the fish I has a couple more casts and was about to move on when I had another strike. The second fish was a mirror image of the first around 20cm.

post-19557-020501000 1319452787_thumb.jpg

I moved further up the creek in search of some new territory. I didn't have to walk far for the next pool. I could see a school of fish and proceeded to catch more small bass.

post-19557-085660100 1319453012_thumb.jpg

The next pool turned out to be a real honey hole with three small fish in three casts. Again all fish were around the mid 20cm mark.

The next pool had a large snag, but really poor access. With a small underarm flick, I manage to get the lure near the snag. I saw a nice fish rise and nail the lure. I managed to keep the fish away from the snag, but was bricked on the bank underneath me. Not wanting to lose the fish, I smashed my way through the trees and was able to lead the fish out into clear water. Landing it was interesting with not much room to move. Fortunately the hook stayed put and I pulled about a 35cm bass up onto the bank. A couple of quick photos and she was sent back on her way.

post-19557-076157000 1319453304_thumb.jpgpost-19557-009182000 1319453316_thumb.jpg

Without any torch or headlamp I decided to head back towards home before darkness set in. I was back at the car within half an hour and was cursing I could have fished another half an hour longer.

Round trip was 2.5 hours including driving, walking and fishing.

Edited by lure-n-fly

Hi Mate

Nice report and some good size fish

I love skinny water fishing

Pictures 1,2,4 & 5 are definatly bass

Thanks Heath.

Any other thoughts on whether these are bass or estuary perch?

I must admit I sometimes struggle to tell them apart.

Seeing all the recent reports of the bass starting to fire up was getting my fishing juices flowing.

With the hot days coming to end with a southerly change on the way tonight, I decided I needed to hit the local creek for a quick session after work.

It takes about half an hour to walk to the pool where I found the fish last time.

Since I last visited the creek about a month ago, the water level had dropped slightly. (It had just rained prior to my previous session and there has been plenty of rain since).

I was excited to see a school of reasonable size EP's in the same pool I fished last time. I pulled out my pack rod and tied on a 3" Squigly wriggler in bloodworm. I spooked the fish climbing down to the bank, but cast on regardless. On about the fifth cast, the squidgy was nailed by a small EP of about 20cm.

post-19557-030872900 1319452833_thumb.jpg

After releasing the fish I has a couple more casts and was about to move on when I had another strike. The second fish was a mirror image of the first around 20cm.

post-19557-020501000 1319452787_thumb.jpg

I moved further up the creek in search of some new territory. I didn't have to walk far for the next pool. I could see a school of fish and proceeded to catch more small EP's (15cm and 20cm).

post-19557-085660100 1319453012_thumb.jpg

The next pool turned out to be a real honey hole with three small fish in three casts. Again all fish were around the mid 20cm mark.

The next pool had a large snag, but really poor access. With a small underarm flick, I manage to get the lure near the snag. I saw a nice fish rise and nail the lure. I managed to keep the fish away from the snag, but was bricked on the bank underneath me. Not wanting to lose the fish, I smashed my way through the trees and was able to lead the fish out into clear water. Landing it was interesting with not much room to move. Fortunately the hook stayed put and I pulled about a 35cm EP up onto the bank. A couple of quick photos and she was sent back on her way.

post-19557-076157000 1319453304_thumb.jpgpost-19557-009182000 1319453316_thumb.jpg

Without any torch or headlamp I decided to head back towards home before darkness set in. I was back at the car within half an hour and was cursing I could have fished another half an hour longer.

Round trip was 2.5 hours including driving, walking and fishing.

T'is some fine bass me matey but t'is no EP's!

Musty