Leg Length Lizard ! .. i have short legs....

dhype

Hey Raiders -

Went out this morning with my good mate with the goal to bag some jews/kings/flatties in botany bay....

Did an early started and tossed some frozen squid along the bridge pylons and manager 3 jews within 20 minutes! This is only our second attempt at targetting these buggers and it seems they are not all that mystical after all! Haven't caught any monsters yet but will be putting some time in over the next few months in an effort to get a 10kg+ unit :biggrin2:

We also managed to pull in a decent dinner sized flatty while jew bagging so into the icebox that went also..

Come 7am and with no sleep at all, the body was feeling war torn already so when we arrived at the squid grounds no effort was put into jigging the squid.. result? DONUT! Was kinda expecting this with the amount of effort we put in! Too busy eating and sleeping!

Went to find some Kings at the usual places but none to be found.. either they were not there or once again it could have been our lazy fishing style... :biggrin2:

this is how we normally fish

post-10545-041398900 1320476118_thumb.jpg

Anyway, went to get some flatties on plastics with me once again putting no effort in until my mate Tom hooks up to something solid and dropping it in the process :1prop: ... knowing there was fish on the chew an instant burst of energy equivilent to 5 cans of RedBull hit my system.

Grabbed my go to combo... SLAMbait minnow in pink, 1/6th jig head, 5lb line with 6lb fluro leader running off a stella 1000/luvis combo. First cast and i hit this beauty on the head!

post-10545-085521000 1320476089_thumb.jpg

The fish put up a great fight and gave my little 1000 reel as workout. Luck for me, my mate was able to net the girl on the first go because she spat out my striaghted hook a few seconds afterwards..

post-10545-030059100 1320476076_thumb.jpg

How big was the fish ?

post-10545-049225500 1320476100_thumb.jpg

As long as my leg! :yahoo:

After a few photos she was release and swam away without a care.

post-10545-082723100 1320476109_thumb.jpg

What is a mortal sin of fishing? taking a photo with someone else's fish! Here is Tom WITH MY FISH!

post-10545-039056600 1320476137_thumb.jpg

At 86cm , this is my equal PB flatty on plastics but my biggest one coming from the Bay. Have caught countless ones in the 70-80cm range so was very very happy with this fish!

Till next week!

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE!

post-10545-093481800 1320476083_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhype

My mate and I we in the little tinnie not far from you guys when you pulled that big flathead in.

Very jealous.... All we could manage were ones to about 45cms. Lost quuite a good one at the boat which I assume would have been 50+cms.

I reckon it wont be long until you get that 10kg+ jew Trung. You're running hot at the moment! :thumbup:

As for that flattie, I hope you realise that because there's a photo of Tom holding it, he can now claim part of the capture rights! :074:

Awesome report and a great flathead.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for all the positive comments guys...

It was a great day out already and was topped off with the big flatty.. pretty sure there was more quality fish in that patch but did not get a chance to re-drift was the wind picked up and we headed home.

The feelings of catching a nice fish and releasing it is hard to put into words... I don't really eat fish so for me, it that joy/buzz you get is what i guess brings us back week after week!

My polycraft boat project is just about finished (see my post in the boating section) and it has proven to be a fantastic fish/squid catching platform. Its very quiet on the drift and i feel that aids in its fish catching capability.. The boat is cheap to buy, easy to work on and performs very well - highly recommended boat to anyone looking for a cheap practical boat. Looking to take it to some inshore reefs/the peak in the coming months - stay tuned!

Cheers

Trung

My mate and I we in the little tinnie not far from you guys when you pulled that big flathead in.

Very jealous.... All we could manage were ones to about 45cms. Lost quuite a good one at the boat which I assume would have been 50+cms.

Hey seacow -

I did see you guys flicking lures around us and great to hear you found a few. Sorry for all the loud screams when we landed the big flatty ... couldn't contain our joy and the smiles in the photo explains everything

Trung, that's an awesome specimen mate!

It would have been good to feel the fight on that one...yeah don't blame your mate, I'd want a foto with that fish too.

The flatty at one point "glued" itself on the sea bottom and it took some effort to release its grip... it pulled plenty of drag and every headshake had me wondering if my knots/leader would hold!

As for taken photos with other people's fish? DONT DO IT! It will come back to bite you one day with countless jokes and ridicule by your mates!! :biggrin2:

I reckon it wont be long until you get that 10kg+ jew Trung. You're running hot at the moment! :thumbup:

As for that flattie, I hope you realise that because there's a photo of Tom holding it, he can now claim part of the capture rights! :074:

Awesome report and a great flathead.

Cheers

Peter

i'm looking forward to the 10kg jew too!

Thanks for the detailed report and many pictures, No pics of the jews?. Did you guys do any overnighter?

Boat looks very nice except for the mcdonalds eat in tray at the back. :)

no photos of the jews as they were nothing special... we started early just before sunrise but have not done a all nighter yet - dont have the energy, getting too old!

Mcdonald's tray ? what are you talking about!!! hahahaha!! :1prop:

see you around

cheers

Trung

Hi Trung Great reportt and love the pics especially the 1st one and the 4th one.

Looks like next time you'll have to put some measurements on those trackies and contact Shimano and tell em you've come up with a new concept called the Brag Pants074.gif

That's a great capture on light gear and I too admire your polycraft setup.

Can you mount an electric to the front of that setup.

Cheers Brad<><

Hi Trung Great reportt and love the pics especially the 1st one and the 4th one.

Looks like next time you'll have to put some measurements on those trackies and contact Shimano and tell em you've come up with a new concept called the Brag Pants074.gif

That's a great capture on light gear and I too admire your polycraft setup.

Can you mount an electric to the front of that setup.

Cheers Brad<><

Hahaha - brag pants .. Funny stuff! :P

Any one want to buy a slight used pair of brag pants? I can even sign it for you! Please PM me if interested!! Hahaha :lol:

As for an electric motor.. I have a Minn Kota ipilot lined up! This should just about complete the boat.

Trung

Edited by dhype

I have committed a mortal sin, but I do plea

a) my initial hook up resulted in Trungs energy boost -> which resulted in 86cm lizard

B) at the spur of moment with the excitement of landing that big croc and the fact that without my superb netting skills there'd be no way you'd be able to get that croc in the boat - I still recall as we saw color, we both realized OMG the size of it in the water, I was fearing the trusty net was going to give in.

c) fellas in the tinny, i'm sure you can be my witness - Trung straight away "URGES - GO GO GO" me to take a picture with his fish - at the back of my mind, i'm sure I can live with the ridicule :-)

yes, 4hrs sleep in 48hrs = war torn!!!

Hey Raiders -

Went out this morning with my good mate with the goal to bag some jews/kings/flatties in botany bay....

Did an early started and tossed some frozen squid along the bridge pylons and manager 3 jews within 20 minutes! This is only our second attempt at targetting these buggers and it seems they are not all that mystical after all! Haven't caught any monsters yet but will be putting some time in over the next few months in an effort to get a 10kg+ unit :biggrin2:

We also managed to pull in a decent dinner sized flatty while jew bagging so into the icebox that went also..

Come 7am and with no sleep at all, the body was feeling war torn already so when we arrived at the squid grounds no effort was put into jigging the squid.. result? DONUT! Was kinda expecting this with the amount of effort we put in! Too busy eating and sleeping!

Went to find some Kings at the usual places but none to be found.. either they were not there or once again it could have been our lazy fishing style... :biggrin2:

this is how we normally fish

post-10545-041398900 1320476118_thumb.jpg

Anyway, went to get some flatties on plastics with me once again putting no effort in until my mate Tom hooks up to something solid and dropping it in the process :1prop: ... knowing there was fish on the chew an instant burst of energy equivilent to 5 cans of RedBull hit my system.

Grabbed my go to combo... SLAMbait minnow in pink, 1/6th jig head, 5lb line with 6lb fluro leader running off a stella 1000/luvis combo. First cast and i hit this beauty on the head!

post-10545-085521000 1320476089_thumb.jpg

The fish put up a great fight and gave my little 1000 reel as workout. Luck for me, my mate was able to net the girl on the first go because she spat out my striaghted hook a few seconds afterwards..

post-10545-030059100 1320476076_thumb.jpg

How big was the fish ?

post-10545-049225500 1320476100_thumb.jpg

As long as my leg! :yahoo:

After a few photos she was release and swam away without a care.

post-10545-082723100 1320476109_thumb.jpg

What is a mortal sin of fishing? taking a photo with someone else's fish! Here is Tom WITH MY FISH!

post-10545-039056600 1320476137_thumb.jpg

At 86cm , this is my equal PB flatty on plastics but my biggest one coming from the Bay. Have caught countless ones in the 70-80cm range so was very very happy with this fish!

Till next week!

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE!

Nice work - that is one massive fish....!! Excellent to see that you put her back too!!