Nice Jewwie

ishhifay

Afternoon Fellow Fishraiders,

After hearing and readin about the great catches around Sydney inshore and off shore I thought its about that time where we stack up on bait for our outings to come. Me and my mate have been travelling from peer to wharf for the past 2 weeks to score some squid. To our success only managed 8 in two frikkin weeks.

I suggest we fish of this wharf Wednesday off Sydney Harbour. "Reliable sources" indicated squid was around there. I took a jewwie rod out fit "just incase" shimano baitrunner 6500 loaded with 50 pound braid, 80 pound mono leader a real weapon when you hook on a big fish (one would think)

My mate took his little 7ft shimano jewl rod and 4000 stratic. 20 pound fins braid and 30 pound black magick leader.

We knew only the KrAzzYieSS would be out that night cause the weather wasent made for the sane fishermen.

Me an my mate have finally made that conclusion (around 3 years ago) and place our self on top of that catogory.

Wind rain and the whole wharf to ourself "CHERRINNGGG"

Now if you get into the theorys of cathcing squid some would swear that, strong currents, windy weather rain decrease the chances by 90%.

With in a a few minutes i snagged what i belive to be a drunken squid after a big nite out he/she was the only one around and i say drunken cause in theory he/she shouldent be there unless not in the right state of mind.

However on he goes fresh as ever and casted right in that spot all the locals talk about. Place my rod comfotably and set the drag hoping for that big one.

In the meantime my mate is catchin taylor for the cat who just dosent stop eating. Amazing watching out little firend grab the fish and fly off with it in its mouth while the fish is flapping around. Who needs NAT GEO!!!

My mate decides to rig a bream set up on his jewl/stratic 4000 combo. Size 2 hook and mediem ball sinker on about 30cm trace. Chops up a little taylor fillet and asked me "where should I cast it".

With the strong current and wind blowing hard i didnt want him to tangle with mine so I said " Over in the far right hand corner mate" hehe!!!

Besideds, again the locals say that there in no jew activity in that section of the wharf but good for bream so i had the right intentions.

He casts and sets full tight drag and places it in a secure position.

Mind you my rod with the fresh squid has been out there for over about an hour so far with no action. My mates about 10min.

I head up and start chatting with my mate, had a smoke and after i finished wanted to check on my rod.

As i walked down the wharf my mate sceams SAMMM!!! COME QUICKLY....HURRYY

I think sweet he saw a squid in the water, but as i was thinking that i heard this strange but very sexy sound.....the sound of the static 4000 drag screeemingggggggg...

I run to his side tell him to relax...pump and wind...reminding him that he has light gear a small hook and just let him runn if he wants to...we need to exhaust him

If we bought this fish to the wharf we still had a misson to walk him around to lower grounds...Heart pumpin situation

When i fist saw colour i knew he was a fair size and thats from a distance...

Initially 3 big runs, tired out on the 4th and slack ass attempt on the 5th we knew we had him..

Walked around on the out side edge of the wharf to the ferry section and placed my hand in his gills and up on dry land he went.

post-5587-059829100 1321593356_thumb.jpg

To my amazement the hook was perfetly and solidly hooked on the side of the jaw and wasnt going anywhere.

There you go...and go figure Size 2 hook, med ball sinker 30cm trace 20 pound line 30 pound leader little pices of taylor and casted in the least productive area according to locals..Now i know its very hard to belive and i still cant belive it. Every thing that happend is totally opposite to what is usually recommended to catch these elusive fish. I mean ive heard of these types of situations before and remaind very sceptic but now im a beliver...

But can i say this and Mrs Swordfisherman I have no intention to sell or promote Shimano so please edit as you please if im doing anything you dont like.

But mate...... that Shimano Jewl rod and 4000 Stratic reel is one hectic combo absoulutley flawless in action.

Almost forgot..my U-BUTE rod/rig/reel with all the fancy stuff and ultimate bait went untouched..

post-5587-095799500 1321593300_thumb.jpg

ishhifay

Edited by ishhifay

HAHAHHA, that's hilariously awesome man well done to you both!!

Great report and one schmokin Jewie..

As for the gear used, (which is not to be sneezed at by my standards certainly), I caught my PB Bream (33cm) on mono of unknown brand, age, origin or diameter.. (but I could nearly make a ladder of it it was so thick)... a ball sinker close to the size of a 10c piece, a 30-ish cm mono leader of the same stock as mainline, and a hook that could spin a mean yarn of it's own from days of yore, had it the means or inclination.

Not to mention the plastic/graphite early 90's JW combo I was using and that this tackle was loosely associated with...

That s**t is was luck's for!

Thanks for your kind comments fishing comrads :thumbup:

Onajewagain-Yeah herd them holes go off..good luck hope you land that big one aswell

I double that plankton "No rules for Jewfishing"

Going out tonight and try around the same area via boat. I will let you know how I went.

Until then tight lines, loose line, small hooks, big hooks what ever just aslong you have a line in the water :thumbup:

P.s Wheres da bloddy spell check on dis fing :ranting2:

Edited by ishhifay

Great catch mate and well deserved for the hours put in during tough conditions... :thumbup:

I'm looking to target some Jewies myself and everything I read indicates that you need to use lighter gear than a kingie outfit as they are a bit leader shy? I was thinking of dropping down to a 6 - 10kg rod and spooling up my 4000 reel with 30lb braid & 40 lb leader. Then using smaller hooks like a 3/0? Does anyone have an opinion on this? :wacko:

Cheers,

Andrew