Jewies In The Bay

kevvie

HeyFishraiders, can anybody help me? I'm looking to catch big jewies in Botany Bay. I catch small one's on softies on a consistant basis but fail to hook up to anything large. Advice on lure or bait and locations would be appreciated..

How big is big?

I know there's been quite a few 10kg+ fish turning up in a particular spot, it's been frustrating me not to have the boat to chase them in. I can't wait to be back on the water next week.

53768[/snapback]

C'mon Swoffa, he said big, 10kg is only a schoolie :risata:

That's why I asked, 10kg is big to anyone who's never caught one over 5kg. A 10kg fish is still quite a handful on 4lb gear.  :biggrin2:

I'm after a big one this year too, got my sights set on 20kg+.  :1clap:

53811[/snapback]

10kg my next one :) then 15, 20, 25 :1clap:

Kevvie,

There are several spots in the bay that produce good fish. :thumbup: We fished it pretty hard in recent months and had a bumper season. :thumbup:

Seems you know how to get good fish in the Hawkesbury, so you must know what you're looking for, eg: currents, eddies, structure and bait holding areas.

Get yourself a good map of the bay and suss the likely looking spots out. And once you find a good spot, keep it to yourself :biggrin2:

Red

Thanks fishos,

Good to see jewie fisherman playing thier cards close to their chest.

How big is a big jewie? I'm talking 20kg+ but on soft plastics it's a real challenge. In my limited experiece with lures i've found that catching jewies (schoolies at least) are a different proposition than live bait. Locations i wouldn't even look at with bait are producing jew on plastics. But frustratingly no real size amongst them (8kg PB on softies)

Anyway try and try again eh.. :thumbup:

Guest Jocool
But frustratingly no real size amongst them (8kg PB on softies)

Anyway try and try again eh.. :thumbup:

54052[/snapback]

8 KG is by no way to be sneezed at mate. Thats a good fish! :thumbup:

8 KG is by no way to be sneezed at mate. Thats a good fish! :thumbup:

54093[/snapback]

Yeh your right it was a memorable catch on 4lb line. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to use bigger lures and thicker line but in doing so limit my catch rate. I don't like my chances of stopping anything bigger on the light stuff.

as i said before... id die happy if i landed a jewie...  :1prop:

54317[/snapback]

no you won't. its a curse, a fever..... you'll want more and more and more and bigger and bigger fish, you will want to catch them from land from sea, in night and in day!!! :074::074::074::074::074::074::074::074::074:

no you won't. its a curse, a fever..... you'll want more and more and more and bigger and bigger fish, you will want to catch them from land from sea, in night and in day!!!  :074:  :074:  :074:  :074:  :074:  :074:  :074:  :074:  :074:

54352[/snapback]

I wish the curse would begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your right swaffa, the big one's have gotta come from the deeper holes. I've found most of the soaps have come from relatively shallow water up to 8ft. This is a by-product of chasing lizards. Once we found that out flatties have become a thing of the past (even though you still get em chasing jew)

Now the challenge of 20kg

Your right swaffa, the big one's have gotta come from the deeper holes. I've found most of the soaps have come from relatively shallow water up to 8ft. This is a by-product of chasing lizards. Once we found that out flatties have become a thing of the past (even though you still get em chasing jew)

Now the challenge of 20kg

• 3 weeks later...
HeyFishraiders, can anybody help me? I'm looking to catch big jewies in Botany Bay. I catch small one's on softies on a consistant basis but fail to hook up to anything large. Advice on lure or bait and locations would be appreciated..

53730[/snapback]

MAte , I used to catch quite a few Jewies on live Tailor and snook at night fishing into the Bommie from the seaward side at Bare Island and if the seas are up and its too dangerous to fish off the front fish on the western side of where the waves break.

Fish up to 20kg caught there on a regular basis.

good luck.